About as Big-time as It Gets

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than 500 GA tickets remain.No word on how many student tickets remain. There were 1000 total.This game WILL sell out.
I would keep printing and selling tickets until I ran out of ink!
if they could stuff 8000+ in for that CSU game in the 80's they can fit 7000 in now.
I would say we can fit 6,000 in there now. The blue chairs take up a lot of space that used to be just bleachers.

Less than 500 GA tickets remain.No word on how many student tickets remain. There were 1000 total.This game WILL sell out.
if they could stuff 8000+ in for that CSU game in the 80's they can fit 7000 in now.
I would say we can fit 6,000 in there now. The blue chairs take up a lot of space that used to be just bleachers.
6,200 then. FIND A WAY!

6,200 then. FIND A WAY!
The Akron Fire Marshall limited the JAR capacity to 5,500 after the 7,000+ UA/CSU game back in the late 80's. If there were a fire in the building everyone would have died.Eric McLaughlin was on fire that night, but luckily it did not spread.

I think it is pretty safe to say this thing is going to be a sellout. Looking forward to it. This is going to be the kind of atmosphere we should have in the JAR most every game.
We just need to find a way to get 3,500 Saint Francis, UNC Greensboro, etc fans to the JAR and we could pull it off.

The Akron Fire Marshall limited the JAR capacity to 5,500 after the 7,000+ UA/CSU game back in the late 80's. If there were a fire in the building everyone would have died.
According to the media guide the official attendance for the December 9, 1986 game was 8,168.The actual attendance was in excess of 10,000.It was widely reported (including in the ABJ) that between 1,500 to 2,500 people were refusedadmittance including many souls holding reserved seating tickets.I was there. The aisle were full of people. The tier was jammed. The place was a nut house.The Zips won in overtime 73-69. "Mouse" McFadden fouled out sealing CSU's doom. Even this huge crowd does not come close to the highest home game attendance for Akron. Thathonor goes to the 15,000+ game against third ranked Pitt played at the Richfield Coliseum on December 21, 1987. The Zips lost 63-67. Best big time atmosphere ever for an Akron game.I attended that game as well. Still, I'll take the win over Cleveland State as the best game.

The Akron Fire Marshall limited the JAR capacity to 5,500 after the 7,000+ UA/CSU game back in the late 80's. If there were a fire in the building everyone would have died.
According to the media guide the official attendance for the December 9, 1986 game was 8,168.The actual attendance was in excess of 10,000.It was widely reported (including in the ABJ) that between 1,500 to 2,500 people were refusedadmittance including many souls holding reserved seating tickets.I was there. The aisle were full of people. The tier was jammed. The place was a nut house.The Zips won in overtime 73-69. "Mouse" McFadden fouled out sealing CSU's doom. Even this huge crowd does not come close to the highest home game attendance for Akron. Thathonor goes to the 15,000+ game against third ranked Pitt played at the Richfield Coliseum on December 21, 1987. The Zips lost 63-67. Best big time atmosphere ever for an Akron game.I attended that game as well. Still, I'll take the win over Cleveland State as the best game.
I would love to see a copy/scan of this article. I'm very interested if anyone can find it.

just wondering if anyone knows what the tv schedule is looking like tomorrow? wondering what the game would be paired up with on espn.
Just checked. The Pistons/Cavs game is on ESPN from 7-9 followed by the Hornets/Spurs game.
ESPN is really going after the NE Ohio market tomorrow, apparently. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people watching ESPN in Cleveland and Akron will be watching the Cavs game. But if we're lucky they'll flip over to our game during commercials.

Zips-Can't game has been selected as the FanMatch game of the day for Friday as "rated for competitiveness and level of play." It's listed at the top of the page of the Pomeroy ratings. The explanation of FanMatch is worth reading. Be sure to read the whole thing, as the first part is humor and the actual description is in the final paragraph.Pomeroy FanMatch

Its gameday. Time to get pumped up! This is the big one. Gotta put those thugs back in their place. My thoughts on what the Zips need to do to beat Can't.1.) Contain Rod Sherman. As I've said before, he's the toughest matchup for the Zips. Humpty can stay with him with speed and quickness but gives up too much height. McNees doesn't match up with him at all. Roberts isn't quite quick enough to be up to the assignment. Zips will probably have to guard him by committee, but we can't let him go off. Zips also need to make a conscious effor to force him to his left. He is at his best when he is penetrating the lane from the right and finishing at the rim.2.) Get the McKnights going early. KD has said it before, and the numbers play it out. When the McKnights play well, the Zips win. This is Chris' last home game, so you know there has to be motivation there. Brett has had big games against the flushes before as well. 3.) Get physical with Singletary. For as big of a wrecking ball as he is, he doesn't like his opponents to get physical with him. When teams get up in his grill and play him physical he tends to go into 1 on 5 mode to try to prove he's a better player or something like that. It disrupts the flushes offense and often gets the thug in foul trouble. 4.) Handle the flushes press. Can't likes to extend their defense a couple times a game and really put some pressure on you. The teams that have handled this the best have been the teams that have beat them. The Zips have had some success against pressing teams this year, but have had some tough times as well. Zips can't turn the ball over, but they also don't want to spend too much time trying to break the press. Look for the Zips to throw the homerun ball down to Cvetinovic, Conyers or the McKnights once or twice just to try to back Can't off.5.) Avoid the scoring droughts. Everyone around here knows the story. It seems like once a game every game the Zips will go through a prolonged scoring drought. In the first matchup this lead to a 19-0 run for Can't and pretty much sealed the game. The Zips can't afford those kinds of droughts in this big of a game. 6.) Hit your free throws. The Zips free throw struggles are well documented by now. The flushes aren't that significantly better from the line, but a sub-60% game isn't going to cut it. This game is sure to be physical, and there will be plenty of trips to the line. If the Zips can shoot 70-75% or better it will put some pressure on Can't to respond.7.) Strong defense at the rim. Can't has a lot of guys who are good at finishing around the basket. Zeke is going to be very important tonight. Strong defense at the rim and some blocked shots early will make Can't think twice before going down low. If you can make Can't into a perimeter shooting team they become a lot easier to beat.8.) Don't let Mike McKee get going. McKee is often the X-factor for Can't. When his shot starts falling, look out. In a lot of ways he is their Steve McNees. He has the ability to shoot an opponent out of the gym one night, then go 1-7 the next night. 9.) Feed off of the home crowd. Can't did this in the first matchup, the Zips have the edge tonight. The JAR is sure to be rocking. Use the sixth man to your advantage.10.) Don't piss your pants. The Zips have a tendency to collapse when the lights are on. There hasn't been a bigger game this year for the Zips. Sell-out crowd, cross town rival, national TV, championship atmosphere. The Zips have to stay composed for 40 minutes and maybe longer.And the X-factor 11.) Three point shooting. The Zips have been on a merry-go-round from 3 all year. One night they are hot, the next night nothing will fall. If the Zips have a good night from behind the arch they will likely win this game. Especially if McNees can get going early. If Steve gets in one of those zones from out there, no way the flushes can beat us.

Here is how I would like to win. Take advantage of our strengths. (Zeke & Steve / Inside & Out). Work Z down low, work to get open looks for Steve's 3's. That should be 40 percent of what we do on offense. The other 60 percent of offense will take care of itself. Next year this should be 50/50. Do what ever on defense. I don't care about defense in basketball. Personally I like zone, but I'll give up that dream as long as KD is coaching.