LeBum affiliation with Akron Basketball

LeDrama's legacy in this area has now been sealed. Son of a bitch. He is the new Modell, the penultimate villain. Piece. Of. Dung. I truly wish him ill now, as do most sports fans in the area, as they should. So, I'm very interested to see what happens with his related affiliations in the area. Does the university BB team continue wearing the LeQuitter Nike uniforms? Is he still welcomed as a quasi deity when he and his posse come around?

As for me, it will not work in favor of the university, Dambrot and UA fans to continue their cozy relationship with LeChoke. I'm interested to hear the thoughts of other posters on the board.

WE ARE ALL QUITNESSES.

STZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's actually a big diversity of opinion even here on ZN.O. Some folks sound like they want to tar and feather LeBron, and some sound like they can't wait to get their Miami Heat gear. Maybe we'll start seeing Heat gear at Zips games.

I'm about in the middle. I'm disappointed but not angry. I'll probably feel about the same watching LeBron in the future as I do Kobe Bryant now. It's always entertaining to watch athletes who are the best at what they do. But most of them are mercenaries who are only temporarily loyal to the team they happen to be with at the moment. Either they jump from team to team looking for a better deal, or their teams trade them away looking for a better deal.

So who has less loyalty, the players who jump from team to team in search of something better or the teams that constantly trade players in search of something better?

There are only a few cases where a player and team remain loyal to each other throughout the players' careers. So we can feel warm and fuzzy about those few and wish that LeBron had been one of them.

Can we please get some real Zips news soon? :zzz:

So, how many players on the roster are from NE Ohio and so see him as a "traitor"? How many high school basketball players grow up wishing they could grab ESPN by the balls and force the entire world to watch them at a moment's notice?

Can it hurt to have the most famous man in the world giving your school equipment and uniforms, and hosting the biggest high school basketball camp in the country on your home court?

Can we please get some real Zips news soon? :zzz:

So, how many players on the roster are from NE Ohio and so see him as a "traitor"? How many high school basketball players grow up wishing they could grab ESPN by the balls and force the entire world to watch them at a moment's notice?

Can it hurt to have the most famous man in the world giving your school equipment and uniforms, and hosting the biggest high school basketball camp in the country on your home court?

Zach, in this particular case I will not refrain from calling you an idiot. Can it hurt? Are you kidding? Would it be good for any NE Ohio University to have Art Modell as a key reference point for their football program? The backlash is only beginning after the events of the last few days and LeQuitter is going to wind up as the most hated sports figure in the history of already-pained sports in this region. If UA doesn't jettison all connections to this son of a bitch and his crappy, idiot posse, they will pay a huge price going forward, in fan support and credibility.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it is very possible that LeBron will not even be able to live here in the off-season anymore. He is right on the cusp of replacing Art Modell as the most reviled sports figure in a place that takes its sports very seriously. You know, the same Art Modell who until this day cannot travel to Cleveland without special security details.

Well, there's actually a big diversity of opinion even here on ZN.O. Some folks sound like they want to tar and feather LeBron, and some sound like they can't wait to get their Miami Heat gear. Maybe we'll start seeing Heat gear at Zips games.

I'm about in the middle. I'm disappointed but not angry. I'll probably feel about the same watching LeBron in the future as I do Kobe Bryant now. It's always entertaining to watch athletes who are the best at what they do. But most of them are mercenaries who are only temporarily loyal to the team they happen to be with at the moment. Either they jump from team to team looking for a better deal, or their teams trade them away looking for a better deal.

So who has less loyalty, the players who jump from team to team in search of something better or the teams that constantly trade players in search of something better?

There are only a few cases where a player and team remain loyal to each other throughout the players' careers. So we can feel warm and fuzzy about those few and wish that LeBron had been one of them.

UA fans who wear Heat gear to games ought to be tarred and feathered along with the Chosen Child. They also should have their heads examined. LeTraitor just destroyed NE Ohio and the Cavs' franchise on national TV and is deserving of Modell status and then some. How a resident of this region could support him at this point is beyond me. It's time to move away, LeChild. Please take your family and your disgusting posse and move to South Beach, and the hangers-on who have made their "careers" based on being affiliated with you can go away too.

Wow! You are really this pissed off about Lebron? I root for The University of Akron and am happy that Lebron has been helpful to the program. Now, I am supposed to hate him because he left Cleveland? If he keeps supporting The University of Akron, I will remain a Lebron fan. If he would have dissed The University of Akron, I could understand cutting ties but he chose another NBA team. It would be foolish to cut ties with someone who has done nothing but positives for The University of Akron. Too bad for the Cavs, wish he would have stayed, life will go on.

Wow! You are really this pissed off about Lebron? I root for The University of Akron and am happy that Lebron has been helpful to the program. Now, I am supposed to hate him because he left Cleveland? If he keeps supporting The University of Akron, I will remain a Lebron fan. If he would have dissed The University of Akron, I could understand cutting ties but he chose another NBA team. It would be foolish to cut ties with someone who has done nothing but positives for The University of Akron. Too bad for the Cavs, wish he would have stayed, life will go on.

This gets real old reading how LeBron has been helpful with the University. He bought them shoes. He has a camp at the school for around 5 years now? And how many of those players have ended up at The University of Akron? If Zeke didn't then none. So what good has the camp done? Its a none issue. He never attended any games last year and he doesn't keep in contact with Coach Dambrot as Keith has mentioned in recent interviews. Lebron is only about Lebron, as this week showed. So please stop this garbage how Lebron helps the Universty.

and what about Mr. Travis and Mr. Joyce? do we cut ties with them too? you are talking about our fan support suffering as if we were selling out the JAR every game. If the guy wants to continue to support us with his uniforms and equipment then why the hell not. you can't tell me that his name hasn't helped in bringing in some recruits.

and what about Mr. Travis and Mr. Joyce? do we cut ties with them too? you are talking about our fan support suffering as if we were selling out the JAR every game. If the guy wants to continue to support us with his uniforms and equipment then why the hell not. you can't tell me that his name hasn't helped in bringing in some recruits.

OK then, what top recruit has chosen UA because of LeQuit? With all of these top athletes rolling through the JAR, shouldn't we have scored a coup or two if LeQuit were so influential? Hasn't happened.

If I told you that Art Modell wanted to sponsor UA football in some manner, would you agree that it was a great idea? LeBron's name is already mud and the trajectory is only rocketing downhill from here. Watch as all of the bad mojo starts rolling out about the Queen. The writers at the PD are already letting some of the slime from the LeQuit era roll out and it's going to get uglier folks. It will not be a good thing for UA to be affiliated with this punk and his clown posse. If that means that Romeo and Dru become miffed, tough. They and their combined legacy with that idiot are also losers in this deal. This is what happens when you worship an eleven year old kid and later surround him with nothing but homies and sycophants. It's time to cut all ties, UA.

To STZ...

Get over it.

Lebron is from Akron, Lebron gives to Akron, Lebron played for Cleveland, Cleveland didn't give anything to Akron. They acted like he was from Cleveland, until they thought they were going to lose him, and then "Akron is in our region, blah, blah, blah, we love Akron." I root for the Cavs because they used to be Akron's team. They were in an Akron suburb, I got to go to several games. I watched as Cleveland treated us like we are a suburb. We aren't, Cleveland doesn't give use anything, in fact they try to ruin us.

Lebron grew up on the same streets as me, played on the same fields and courts as me and many others on here. He is Akron first, I am Akron first. I'm disappointed in his decision, it shows a "entitled attitude" a quitter mentality. But I not should anyone here, shun his charity to the city and University.

As for your question regarding Art Modell (for the record he's already said if he had to do over again, he wouldn't) if he wanted to donate money, build the stadium, offer uniforms or any of that, anyone that would shun him is anti-Akron and anti-success. Is not like it's Christopher Coke offering money, all either of these people did was make a decision you (and millions of others) didn't agree with, they aren't criminals, just ignorant and selfish.

Question SeeTeeZip, are you really that concerned about the future of Akron Basketball based on the connection to LeBron, or are you just looking for another outlet to vent your frustration with the man? To me it seems like the latter. Don't get me wrong, I'm upset about his decision as well. I don't like the decision itself and I don't like the way he went about it. But this is the Akron Zips Basketball forum, and if all you are trying to do is rile up more anger about LeBron then this doesn't really belong here. Particularly some of the name calling you are partaking in that is rather inappropriate for our younger crowd. If you would like, I can give you the links to a couple of large Cleveland Cavaliers fan forums where this kind of stuff is a lot more welcome right now, or maybe just move this stuff on over to the off topic board.

Like it or not, STZ has a really valid point with this thread. There is going to be a lot of animosity toward LeBron from a lot of people even if some don't feel it quite as intensely, and a few act as if nothing at all has happened. LeBron's connection with the Zips used to be mostly positive, or neutral at worst.

That equation has now changed. I don't think any of us really know how it's going to all work out. It may be that LeBron will increase his support of Akron in general and UA in particular, in which case Zips fans might be a little more forgiving. Then again, he might not do anything differently, or he might pull back from Akron and start giving more support to the Miami community. Right now we're all just speculating. We don't know how this will play out. But we do know that it's not likely to ever be the way it was.

Good question for the folks at UA to ponder, STZ.

Good question or not, STZ needs to recall this is an open forum in mixed company and clean his future posts up or be asked to refrain from posting for a few days.

I've modified some objectionable language at the request of multiple users. Please use discretion STZ.

OK.....does anyone find any part of LBJ's behavior in the past two weeks something that UofA should associate themselves with?

Our only point of contact with LBJ is our MBB coach. While KD career, the best way we can describe his association with this nonsense, was corrected by being LBJ's freshman and soph coach in HS.

KD doesn't need LBJ at this point. He never did unless you count the days he was coaching STV before he was hired at UofA to fall in behing Hip with one foot on his ass.

There are a lot of questions that are smart and will come out over time. One to me is, How did LBJ become such an egomaniac and who contributed to it? Let's just say there could be a UofA connection to this question. LBJ is not a humble person like everone wants to believe. He was surrounded by a bunch of userers since he was in eight grade. He drove a Hummer in high school paid for by "someone" and laughed at those who asked where it came from by driving a miniaturized version of the car on the BB floor of STV his sophomore year of HS.

There is a UofA connection here. Would anyone like me to expand?

I walked through the JAR today. Every inch of the place is covered in LJ23 logos (how will that work when he switches to #6, I wonder?). There are huge banners of him hanging from the rafters. The U did not take these things down after the announcement like Cleveland did with the gigantic poster downtown (they might ahve taken it down as a safety thing, people throwing things at it and attempting to set it on fire), and I even saw some coaches taking some out-of-town women's sports recruits on a tour of it.

I think it would be unwise to completely renounce our connection to LeBron in a fit of childish rage. I do think we should keep it subdued for a while until we see how things play out. If he ignores us and starts giving all his support to FIU or USF or some other school or if he continues to insult the area well into the future, we quietly break our ties and move on. But if he keeps sending good things our way, we reap the benefit of it and wait until things calm down in a few years before again displaying our connection proudly.

And if you don't think the camps in the JAR benefit Akron because we don't directly get those recruits, then you have no idea how recruiting works. It's all about connections and networking, and this gives Dambrot the opportunity to talk to top recruiters and coaches from across the country and get a read on things and maybe a tip on a solid prospect or two that might not have been on our regional radar. I'm pretty certain that's how he heard about Alex Abreu.

Just what I expected, a few more childish and immature posts.

By the way, after reading the Beacon today, I would like to commend Coach Joyce, Coach Dambrot, and the mayor for their professional remarks concerning LeBron's choice to play for another team, and their appreciation for what he has done for Akron and the U of A.

I can only wish that the Cavs owner had reacted in even a remotely similar fashion.

Those banners are only there for his skills camp held there earlier this week.

I don't think he's anymore or any less an attention grab than 80% of the NBA. That includes players AND teams. However, his business decisions (and the way his posse went about announcing it) has left a bad taste in most of NE Ohio.

Whether he's any more or less a playa than the majority of the NBA players, doesn't matter. We don't need that publicity.

If you're trying to build something positive, stay away from LeBron James. It's a bad business move. It's a horrible PR move. Use the book store profits (like all the other programs), the medical books I have to buy this year should cover it, and buy the stuff tyourself. No Nike slash. No #23 or #6. No recollection of KD ever knowing the kid.

Nothing personal. Just a good business decision.

Good question or not, STZ needs to recall this is an open forum in mixed company and clean his future posts up or be asked to refrain from posting for a few days.

I've modified some objectionable language at the request of multiple users. Please use discretion STZ.

Oh for God's sake ZW what is your problem? Is it possible for you not to come across as a prude old scold? I've seen far more objectionable material on these boards than I included in any of the posts here. Ban me if it will unbunch your underpants, but the LBJ-UA connectivity issue is something that will have to be addressed, and soon. If some take offense to questions about LeQuit and his weird and unseemly connection(s) to UA, tough. It is completely germain to ask whether his betrayal, and the obvious now-brewing aftermath and blowback in NE Ohio, are things that the university wants to be connected to. Being cozy with the new Art Modell would be a huge mistake for the university from here on out.

Also, how can it be that 2 full days after "The Decision" no supposed Zips BB fans on these boards have even thought to post about this issue? Can you not see the potential problems to come regarding the cozy BB-program relationship that UA has forged with the Chosen One? You can't see that UA stands to suffer mightily in blowback and being stained by their connections to LBJ as the ugly stories about him start to leak out now that he's gone?

I know you fancy yourself as a huge Zips BB fan and booster, but I have to question the motive behind your post trying to slap me down ZW.

Oh for God's sake ZW what is your problem? Is it possible for you not to come across as a prude old scold? I've seen far more objectionable material on these boards than I included in any of the posts here. Ban me if it will unbunch your underpants, but the LBJ-UA connectivity issue is something that will have to be addressed, and soon. If some take offense to questions about LeQuit and his weird and unseemly connection(s) to UA, tough. It is completely germain to ask whether his betrayal, and the obvious now-brewing aftermath and blowback in NE Ohio, are things that the university wants to be connected to. Being cozy with the new Art Modell would be a huge mistake for the university from here on out.

Also, how can it be that 2 full days after "The Decision" no supposed Zips BB fans on these boards have even thought to post about this issue? Can you not see the potential problems to come regarding the cozy BB-program relationship that UA has forged with the Chosen One? You can't see that UA stands to suffer mightily in blowback and being stained by their connections to LBJ as the ugly stories about him start to leak out now that he's gone?

I know you fancy yourself as a huge Zips BB fan and booster, but I have to question the motive behind your post trying to slap me down ZW.

First off you might want to check out:

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18777

and

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18782

and

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18784

and

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18776

If your wondering where I found these threads go ahead and scroll down just a little bit to the "Off Topic, Smack & Jokes" Forum below.

Second off, nice knowing you. With the way you are coming off in this thread it won't be too long before your no longer welcome on these forums.

First off you might want to check out:

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18777

and

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18782

and

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18784

and

http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=18776

If your wondering where I found these threads go ahead and scroll down just a little bit to the "Off Topic, Smack & Jokes" Forum below.

Second off, nice knowing you. With the way you are coming off in this thread it won't be too long before your no longer welcome on these forums.

Those posts addressed the LeChoke decision to walk, but not UA's connections to him and whether it will be prudent to remain connected to a man who is going to be deeply and fervently hated in NE Ohio for decades to come. I think it's already highly likely that, somehow, UA will be tarnished in all of this. Perhaps you aren't worried about that.

screw lebron...any real akronite or zips fan would know that lebron embarrassed the entire region with his actions and could care less about his hometown.

He's an all talk ego maniac and i for one would rather UA just cut ties.

If he loved Akron so much why didnt he build his house here? Why all the way out in Bath? Also if he loves the U so much why hasn't he donated any money towards a new arena?

OK then, what top recruit has chosen UA because of LeQuit? With all of these top athletes rolling through the JAR, shouldn't we have scored a coup or two if LeQuit were so influential? Hasn't happened.

If I told you that Art Modell wanted to sponsor UA football in some manner, would you agree that it was a great idea? LeBron's name is already mud and the trajectory is only rocketing downhill from here. Watch as all of the bad mojo starts rolling out about the Queen. The writers at the PD are already letting some of the slime from the LeQuit era roll out and it's going to get uglier folks. It will not be a good thing for UA to be affiliated with this punk and his clown posse. If that means that Romeo and Dru become miffed, tough. They and their combined legacy with that idiot are also losers in this deal. This is what happens when you worship an eleven year old kid and later surround him with nothing but homies and sycophants. It's time to cut all ties, UA.

+1