7 on 7 vs. Youngstown State

eguins

Gives new meaning to the old saying about football games being won and lost in the trenches (offensive line against defensive line). Take away the soldiers in the trenches (linemen), and no one wins the war (tie).

very informative. :thumb:

I agree 100% with Dave... Games, especially for a running program like YSU, are won in the trenches. Our weak spot coming into this year is our OL....

I wasn't disagreeing with Dave. I was applauding him for command of sports slang and his willingness to explain something as vague as "in the trenches."

If I was agreeing with Dave then I was obviously agreeing with you lol!

:screwks:

Ya know Ashland rocked us in a 7 on 7 a few years ago. I bet they would beat us on the field too :rolleyes: .

On the other hand (the one that holds reality), Ashland and YSU would be a very good matchup on the field. A perennial D2 top 25 team against a 1-AA program that has been completely mediocre since Tressel left. They should make that happen.

omg, what a fugging joke!!

Anyone who has ever been a college athlete knows that 7 on 7 scrimmages between players in the summer mean absolutely nothing! Nobody even keeps the score, and there's no refs, so it's impossible to declare when someone is really down, scored, whatever. If some poser from YSU actually attempted to post a score, it shows his inferiority complex. Why you would even post something like this is beyond me, it shows nothing, and just makes you look stupid for acting like it tells us something.

This is especially true in baseball and tennis where 7 on 7 drills result in the field seeming fairly empty or the court quite full, respectively. :unsure:

Found out that Youngstown State was never stopped on offense, but considering Nicely threw 6 touchdown's I find it hard to believe Akron was ever stopped on offense either. Sounds like each team's defense was pretty ugly.

inferiority complex exemplifies Penguin fans. They are nothing more than a bunch of ankle-bitters that are trying to act like we are rivals. Akron is in a whole other level of college football and we don't care about YSU in the least. It's getting annoying when I watch zips videos on youtube there's always a comment from a YSU fan. They comment on the crowd and cow "crappy" our stadium is. I guess compared to their glorified high school stadium, the amazing Infocision stadium is pretty crappy. This scrimmage meant nothing and I have no idea why it was even mentioned!? I'm sure no one outside of Youngstown even knew it took place. Sad thing is that a tie in a 7on7 scrimmage against us, they are acting like they won a National Championship or something.

This eguins bashing is getting old.

I'm glad to hear that the players are out there working on their timing and routes, especially with the transition from a spread to a pro offense. Playing YSU is mostly a convenience factor. They're the only close school with any type of decent college football team that's not named Can't. Better than practicing against a D-III or NAIA school from the Cleveland suburbs.

I'm glad to hear that the players are out there working on their timing and routes, especially with the transition from a spread to a pro offense. Playing YSU is mostly a convenience factor. They're the only close school with any type of decent college football team that's not named Can't. Better than practicing against a D-III or NAIA school from the Cleveland suburbs.

It's fine that he told us about the 7 on 7, but what annoys me is that he made a point to say that we tied and that YSU's offense couldn't be stopped. It's 7on7, no pads, no refs, no tackling, no purpose caring who won or lost, or tied. It's not just him, but all penguins fans are the same. ankle-bitters, and at least eguins doesn't try to trash talk like most do, but still.

So, are the coaching staffs allowed to be involved in these scrimmages in any way, shape or form? If not, who arranges for the scrimmages to happen, and who measures the performance? Are they allowed to videotape and show the tapes to the coaches, or is it just an unofficial, unrecorded, unmeasured summer exercise?

It's fine that he told us about the 7 on 7, but what annoys me is that he made a point to say that we tied and that YSU's offense couldn't be stopped. It's 7on7, no pads, no refs, no tackling, no purpose caring who won or lost, or tied. It's not just him, but all penguins fans are the same. ankle-bitters, and at least eguins doesn't try to trash talk like most do, but still.

I am simply stating what I was told by someone that was at the Akron Rec that witnessed the scrimmage. Have we been mediocre since Tressel left, absolutely, but if any of you are following our new coach, you will know that YSU will soon return to the promised land under Eric Wolford.

So, are the coaching staffs allowed to be involved in these scrimmages in any way, shape or form?

No. It is totally handled amongst players.

Thanks. My main purpose in using the internet, including sports forums such as ZN.O, is to expand my knowledge. Thanks to the original poster (equins) and all of those who've contributed informative comments, this has been an interesting and useful discussion for me.

omg, what a fugging joke!!

Anyone who has ever been a college athlete knows that 7 on 7 scrimmages between players in the summer mean absolutely nothing! Nobody even keeps the score, and there's no refs, so it's impossible to declare when someone is really down, scored, whatever. If some poser from YSU actually attempted to post a score, it shows his inferiority complex. Why you would even post something like this is beyond me, it shows nothing, and just makes you look stupid for acting like it tells us something.

This is especially true in baseball and tennis where 7 on 7 drills result in the field seeming fairly empty or the court quite full, respectively. :unsure:

Found out that Youngstown State was never stopped on offense, but considering Nicely threw 6 touchdown's I find it hard to believe Akron was ever stopped on offense either. Sounds like each team's defense was pretty ugly.

Out of curiosity only -- is this a "Passing League" game? The Honolulu high schools have a 7v7 Summer Passing League. No running plays or running backs used.

Some people might still remember the first Spring soccer schedule when Caleb Porter arrived. I can still recall the remarks about Akron playing Rio Grande! We've moved up to Michigan and Maryland. Maybe the football team will scrimmage ND in the future.

Some people might still remember the first Spring soccer schedule when Caleb Porter arrived. I can still recall the remarks about Akron playing Rio Grande! We've moved up to Michigan and Maryland. Maybe the football team will scrimmage ND in the future.

If we ever do scrimmage/play ND, we'll kick their asses too. GO ZIPS!! 2010 :champs::cheers:

If we ever do scrimmage/play ND, we'll kick their asses too. GO ZIPS!! 2010 :champs::cheers:

Well if we tied Notre Dame we could act like it was the biggest win in the history of UA athletics! you don't need coaches, refs, and pads to play football