Worst Fans in the NCAA

mes102

...or you know they kick the band out. Move them up to the bleachers where they are supposed to be!

The band cheers just as much as the rest of the students. Just because we are wearing polos intead of AK-ROWDIES shirts doesn't mean we don't belong on the floor. If the band is cheering, then why should we be displaced? We have about 30-40 members, adding 30-40 ROWDIES isn't going to change the atmosphere. I agree there is a problem with the way the JAR is set up, but stop acting like it's the band's fault or that we could change the situation. All this aside, you can't put a drum set in the bleachers.

I wont argue that the band doesn't cheer. But for every band member, there are two seats taken up. Let's move them up top and put them in their section and let more people down there. It will help ...i guarantee it.

this comes up every year, and every year I say. "leave the band there until the Rowdies can actually fill it. if you move the band, and have ALL students sit behind the baskets, than fine. But, to move the band just to move the band is a bad idea that, frankly, makes 0 sense. And for the record, they can fit the drum sets up top. I was in the band when they did up top.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even us old farts can yell and cheer with the best, when we decide to. Look no further than the soccer games or the Cavs games the past few years for a reference.

When you've been through the decades of heartbreak and outright "same old shit, different season" we have, THEN you can criticize us.

...or you know they kick the band out. Move them up to the bleachers where they are supposed to be!

The band cheers just as much as the rest of the students. Just because we are wearing polos intead of AK-ROWDIES shirts doesn't mean we don't belong on the floor. If the band is cheering, then why should we be displaced? We have about 30-40 members, adding 30-40 ROWDIES isn't going to change the atmosphere. I agree there is a problem with the way the JAR is set up, but stop acting like it's the band's fault or that we could change the situation. All this aside, you can't put a drum set in the bleachers.

I wont argue that the band doesn't cheer. But for every band member, there are two seats taken up. Let's move them up top and put them in their section and let more people down there. It will help ...i guarantee it.

this comes up every year, and every year I say. "leave the band there until the Rowdies can actually fill it. if you move the band, and have ALL students sit behind the baskets, than fine. But, to move the band just to move the band is a bad idea that, frankly, makes 0 sense. And for the record, they can fit the drum sets up top. I was in the band when they did up top.

I say we move both. No students or band behind the baskets. Students directly behind the opposing bench, and the band somewhere both visible and audible to most fans. If they can fill up an entire section behind a basket, then I don't mind them remaining there.

But I reiterate: move all the students together; don't let them be split up between the two ends and scattered among the GA seats.

Can someone explain how making more empty seats helps? Even if there are two seats taken up per band member (which there aren't) there are still tons of empty seats. Heck, the whole drumline came and stood by the band for the first half and the other side was still 75% empty. The only time it was/will be an issue every year is high school band day and the Can't came when half the people down below are sitting down and/or texting the whole time instead of cheering.

Can someone explain how making more empty seats helps? Even if there are two seats taken up per band member (which there aren't) there are still tons of empty seats. Heck, the whole drumline came and stood by the band for the first half and the other side was still 75% empty. The only time it was/will be an issue every year is high school band day and the Can't came when half the people down below are sitting down and/or texting the whole time instead of cheering.

It will help by encouraging the upper levels to actually make noise.

What is the purpose of having the band? Is it just to have more students cheering for the team? If that's the case you can just disband and let the members show up as normal students. The purpose of the band is to get the crowd pumped up. Right now they are either next to or playing directly at the people who need fired up the least.

So what if the seats you vacate remain empty? I would have the upper bowl be rocking and a sparse but fired up student section than have the crowd be as boring as it is now. Or maybe you could listen to my suggestion of moving the students and filling up the end sections with reserved tickets. Then you solve both problems, the upper crowd is fired up by the band and the end seats aren't empty while also unifying the students into one force much louder than they can be currently.

My girlfriend and a few of her friends sit up top every game and sing along to the fight song and get up to cheer. They end up on the screen at some point every game. She complains to me after every game how people tell them to be quiet and sit down or how people leave with 2 minutes left in the game. I think your suggestion would lead to a lot of annoyed people sitting up top where they frankly don't seem to care and really hurt the atmosphere down below.

What is the purpose of having the band? Is it just to have more students cheering for the team? If that's the case you can just disband and let the members show up as normal students.

Or you can give them instruments and they can still cheer like normal students in seats that would otherwise be empty.... Maybe they should make the student section an actual student section instead of an exclusive Rowdies section when they can't fill it up.

So what if the seats you vacate remain empty? I would have the upper bowl be rocking and a sparse but fired up student section than have the crowd be as boring as it is now. Or maybe you could listen to my suggestion of moving the students and filling up the end sections with reserved tickets. Then you solve both problems, the upper crowd is fired up by the band and the end seats aren't empty while also unifying the students into one force much louder than they can be currently.

Already addressed the upper seats and their involvement. I may be wrong but I think a majority of people purchasing reserved seats would rather sit where they can see all the action on both sides of the court than sitting behind the basket leading to more empty seats. I think moving 40 students or so up top and having them farther from the action hurts the already dull atmosphere and isn't as good as having them on the court. As far as the Rowdies being united, with the numbers who showed up yesterday they could all sit behind the baskets opposite the band and still have some elbow room. Now, if we consistently fill up the student sections and the lower reserve sections get involved the game with anything less than a game winning shot then I have no issue with moving the band to try and fire up the GA sections. Until then it makes absolutely no sense. I'm not trying to cause problems or attack anyone, but I honestly don't see any way that moving the band is a good idea.

What is the purpose of having the band? Is it just to have more students cheering for the team? If that's the case you can just disband and let the members show up as normal students. The purpose of the band is to get the crowd pumped up. Right now they are either next to or playing directly at the people who need fired up the least.

For the record, I love this idea. If all the ROWDIES had part of the reserved seats behind the opposing team's bench, and then maybe the South side remains as it is, with ROWDIES and then the band where we usually are. This still has students in two spots but its two adjacent spots that are essentially right next to each other. Also, I think (I could be mistaken) that it is just common practice for pep bands to be situated on the floor. In most areans though I don't think the sections behind the baskets are only four rows. Anyway like I said I like your new seating idea, I just don't know if any of the decision makers would actually be down for that.

Moving the students in to a lower level section won't happen anytime soon. It's a great idea in theory, but why would UA's Athletic Department clear out an entire section of UA Alumni who show up to games, pay for their seats, and make handsome donations to the university and/or athletics for a student body that continually no-shows non-Can't games? If the students can't fill the smaller sections behind the hoop, why would they give them a full section?

The biggest problem Akron has is the "Gameday Experience". While they obviously don't have the money or resources that the Cavaliers do, the Zips could learn A LOT about keeping your fans entertained. The first step is having a "Gameday Host", a student or GA who bounces around the arena in various forms of entertainment, including but not limited to:

- Zips Trivia - pick a random fan, ask them a UA-related question, give them a prize

- Promotions - Instead of just putting it on the big screen, have the host tell the crowd about it

- Pumps the crowd up coming out of timeouts (Fans need to be told when to stand and cheer)

"Great Moments in Zips History" would be sweet...a random highlight from a memorable Zips moment.

I also like what the Cavaliers and Indians do, when they ask a question and have a few players answer it. Something like, "What was your most embarrassing moment?" Or if you prefer humor, have them listen to a TV show theme song and guess what it is.

Seriously, how many times can we do the "shoot a layup, free throw, then three pointer" contest? When you have a boring game going on (and let's be honest, UA-CSU was boring for most of the game), you need these creative, entertaining things to keep the crowd interested and into the game. GET CREATIVE!

The first step is having a "Gameday Host", a student or GA who bounces around the arena in various forms of entertainment, including but not limited to:

- Zips Trivia - pick a random fan, ask them a UA-related question, give them a prize

- Promotions - Instead of just putting it on the big screen, have the host tell the crowd about it

- Pumps the crowd up coming out of timeouts (Fans need to be told when to stand and cheer)

Two years ago they had a GA who did this and man was he good at his job. He would always come out in the last couple minutes of those close games and get ALL the fans on their feet, even the lousy ones. Then guess what? He was gone the next year. Word on the street was the athletic department spat in his face and he left. Surprised?

Maybe the student don't fill up the sections behind the hoops because they're small, have terrible sightlines, and are generally a hassle to get to. If the students were moved to something better, they might show up more. Of course, then you have to put the alumni who you claim show up to games down there. We wouldn't be moving that much, though. Maybe 40 or 50 actually ever sit in the sections I'm talking about. they spend all their time in the Tommy Evans lounge and probably wouldn't even notice their seats had been moved.

The seats behind the basket need renovated. More rows at a steeper angle, maybe replaced by bleachers to get it to work. Why use the expensive blue plastic chairs for people who never sit down in the bans or students? Bleachers increase capacity. Of course, then we would obscure the inaccurate, 40-years outdated stats boards.

Moving the students in to a lower level section won't happen anytime soon. It's a great idea in theory, but why would UA's Athletic Department clear out an entire section of UA Alumni who show up to games, pay for their seats, and make handsome donations to the university and/or athletics for a student body that continually no-shows non-Can't games? If the students can't fill the smaller sections behind the hoop, why would they give them a full section?

Who are these people that are buying out both sides of the lower level reserved? There is never anyone in their seats, i find it hard to believe that the entire bottom area is sold out.

Create two sections for students behind the visitor bench, leave the rest and everybody wins.

Zachthezip hit the nail on the head with the reasons why the behind the basket seats are terrible as well.

Who are these people that are buying out both sides of the lower level reserved? There is never anyone in their seats, i find it hard to believe that the entire bottom area is sold out.

Create two sections for students behind the visitor bench, leave the rest and everybody wins.

Zachthezip hit the nail on the head with the reasons why the behind the basket seats are terrible as well.

I'm just being realistic and giving you what the AD's perspective would probably be. When you have trouble filling in a smaller section of student seats, you generally aren't thinking about increasing the number of student seats you have to fill.

I'm just being realistic and giving you what the AD's perspective would probably be. When you have trouble filling in a smaller section of student seats, you generally aren't thinking about increasing the number of student seats you have to fill.

Well i would think the AD would be smart enough to understand the reasons why students dont come to games...or at least try to figure out why.

Then again, our AD is the same guy who hired Ianello so he cant be the brightest.

This is part of what I think about when I contemplate this issue too. I'd love to see the students occupying a couple of sections behind the opponents bench, but when I see so many empty seats behind the baskets on a daily basis, what indication does anyone have that many of those seats would not sit empty for most games?

For the record, I love this idea. If all the ROWDIES had part of the reserved seats behind the opposing team's bench, and then maybe the South side remains as it is, with ROWDIES and then the band where we usually are. This still has students in two spots but its two adjacent spots that are essentially right next to each other. Also, I think (I could be mistaken) that it is just common practice for pep bands to be situated on the floor. In most areans though I don't think the sections behind the baskets are only four rows. Anyway like I said I like your new seating idea, I just don't know if any of the decision makers would actually be down for that.

I like what this thread has turned into. Very creative brainstorming. Sadly, posters on ZN.O obviously put way more time, thought and passion into solving these problems than do the paid professionals in our UA Athletics Dept.

The biggest problem Akron has is the "Gameday Experience". While they obviously don't have the money or resources that the Cavaliers do, the Zips could learn A LOT about keeping your fans entertained. The first step is having a "Gameday Host", a student or GA who bounces around the arena in various forms of entertainment, including but not limited to:

"Great Moments in Zips History" would be sweet...a random highlight from a memorable Zips moment.

I also like what the Cavaliers and Indians do, when they ask a question and have a few players answer it. Something like, "What was your most embarrassing moment?" Or if you prefer humor, have them listen to a TV show theme song and guess what it is.

Seriously, how many times can we do the "shoot a layup, free throw, then three pointer" contest? When you have a boring game going on (and let's be honest, UA-CSU was boring for most of the game), you need these creative, entertaining things to keep the crowd interested and into the game. GET CREATIVE!

Great post. Very real problem. We have to compete with the Cavs, so, while an NBA game is oftentimes more akin to a Harlem Globetrotters game than real basketball, the environment is certainly entertaining as-all-get-out from tip-off to final horn. You can tell our Athletics Department puts about 5-minutes of work into the gameday experience planning. I like all of your ideas, and I know it most likely took you 30-seconds to list your ideas off the top of your head. Sadly, like I recently posted in reply to another thought, it is painfully clear that posters on ZN.O put much more time, passion and thought into solving these problems than our paid UA Athletics Staff do.

This is part of what I think about when I contemplate this issue too. I'd love to see the students occupying a couple of sections behind the opponents bench, but when I see so many empty seats behind the baskets on a daily basis, what indication does anyone have that many of those seats would not sit empty for most games?

The point is to FORCE the students to sit in one area. How many students are scattered throughout the GA section that could be packed together? How many of those students don't cheer because of the oppressive atmosphere created by the old folks who yell at them to sit down and stop being so noisy?

The point is to FORCE the students to sit in one area. How many students are scattered throughout the GA section that could be packed together? How many of those students don't cheer because of the oppressive atmosphere created by the old folks who yell at them to sit down and stop being so noisy?

I'm going to sound like a prick here, but I'm going to be honest...a lot of students don't want to be associated with the AK-Rowdies. Many choose to sit up top, and it's not because they don't like the view from the current student seats.

Great post. Very real problem. We have to compete with the Cavs, so, while an NBA game is oftentimes more akin to a Harlem Globetrotters game than real basketball, the environment is certainly entertaining as-all-get-out from tip-off to final horn. You can tell our Athletics Department puts about 5-minutes of work into the gameday experience planning. I like all of your ideas, and I know it most likely took you 30-seconds to list your ideas off the top of your head. Sadly, like I recently posted in reply to another thought, it is painfully clear that posters on ZN.O put much more time, passion and thought into solving these problems than our paid UA Athletics Staff do.

Great post as well. It is disappointing when I legitimately wonder if one of us could do a better job...

I'm going to sound like a prick here, but I'm going to be honest...a lot of students don't want to be associated with the AK-Rowdies. Many choose to sit up top, and it's not because they don't like the view from the current student seats.

I understand what you're saying, but then why isn't there a problem during soccer games? I think a lot of the dissociation between rowdies and non-rowdies actually stems from the seating situation in the JAR.

Then they shouldn't pay the ten bucks. As soon as they do that, and they get the t-shirt, they are associated with the Rowdies...there are about 2,000 students in organization...about 85-90% of them pay the 10 bucks just to get the t-shirt...this problem has been going on for a while...I see students at Akron events talking about Ohio State, and Auburn, and many more like we don't have an athletic department and acting like we're just some community college...I see so many OSU memorabilia around and other colleges' memorabilia on campus, and it makes me :puke:

I told some UA students that I hope OSU loses to Michigan and they're like...."why? they represent ohio? u HAVE to like OSU?" I said back to them..."Actually, OU is the representative university of ohio since Ohio is not "Ohio STATE"...the state is just "ohio"

I feel like I keep repeating my self in conversations to hear... :horse::horse::horse:

Then they shouldn't pay the ten bucks. As soon as they do that, and they get the t-shirt, they are associated with the Rowdies...there are about 2,000 students in organization...about 85-90% of them pay the 10 bucks just to get the t-shirt...this problem has been going on for a while...I see students at Akron events talking about Ohio State, and Auburn, and many more like we don't have an athletic department and acting like we're just some community college...I see so many OSU memorabilia around and other colleges' memorabilia on campus, and it makes me :puke:

I told some UA students that I hope OSU loses to Michigan and they're like...."why? they represent ohio? u HAVE to like OSU?" I said back to them..."Actually, OU is the representative university of ohio since Ohio is not "Ohio STATE"...the state is just "ohio"

I feel like I keep repeating my self in conversations to hear... :horse::horse::horse:

+1!!

It's a two-way street. The players have to give the fans some reason to hope that standing up and making noise is going to make a difference. It wouldn't have mattered tonight if every Zips fan stood on their feet and screamed their guts out the whole game. The Zips were not prepared to play as well as CSU tonight, and many of the fans could tell the writing was on the wall.

I don't mind coming home hoarse and sweaty from jumping up and down and screaming when I think it will help make a difference. Tonight I came home with a sore neck from shaking my head from side to side at one poor play after another.

This was not a good game to try to pin a guilt trip on passive fans.

Dave in Green,

After watching the game online, I noticed one thing: people did not care (at least it looked like that when I watched the game online). Is it to a point that if it is not Cant State, no one gives a Smeg about what goes on with Akron sports!?

There is no excuse for the piss-poor play(sugar coat it all you want, but that is what it is), however sitting here at my CPU in Phoenix, you must have home support if you are there.

A Zip fan in Phoenix? I wanna meet you when I am out there during the first week of March.

I like what this thread has turned into. Very creative brainstorming. Sadly, posters on ZN.O obviously put way more time, thought and passion into solving these problems than do the paid professionals in our UA Athletics Dept.

If you want the prevailing wisdom all you need to do is look to Duke and NCState... Both have great atmosphere's. Duke's is legendary and fans pay premium $ to sit in bleachers ABOVE the students. NCState move into the RBC w/ the Carolina Hurricanes. Even though you'd pay major dough to sit in the lower bowl for a canes game, NCST students still have reserved seats behind the benches for all Wolfpack games. The very idea that you have to pamper alumni is ridicoulus. Students enjoying themselves creates an atmosphere where they want to come back as alumni. The empty seats prove my point.

1) I'll play devil's advocate: if there are 2,000 "Rowdies" and barely any show up, it might be time to look in the mirror to see what's wrong.

2) What does our basketball team have anything to do with Ohio State?

3) Bashing people for caring about OSU isn't going to grow our fan base.

4) OU represents Ohio? Did you really just say that?