Worst Fans in the NCAA

mes102

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4) OU represents Ohio? Did you really just say that?

They are the original state school.

I'd root for the Bongcats over the OSU NOTC's any day as well.

Agreed! I love how 90% of suckeyes fans have never taken a class there, but they claim it to be their school. Bunch of idiots! They jump on the bandwaggon and have fun watching other teams win national championships while they are busy beating up on schools like Marshall and OU.

That doesn't mean they represent Ohio...good God, the OSU inferiority complex is annoying.

No school represents Ohio. Just like UA does not represent Akron. They are both schools! not professional sports teams.

Imagine you went to Hoban for high school and every day you had to listen to classmates talk about how awesome St. V's is and how much better they are. See how stupid it is to be sitting in a class at The University of Akron and have to listen to idiots run their mouth about OSU.

Hijacked. So difficult to have a constructive discussion these days. :horse:

Here, I'll help:

The alumni really just need to step it up at basketball and football games. My God it's not that hard to clap or stand up and be a part of the game here and there. Trust me it's fun, you might just forget how boring your life's become since leaving UA.

That doesn't mean they represent Ohio...good God, the OSU inferiority complex is annoying.

No school represents Ohio. Just like UA does not represent Akron. They are both schools! not professional sports teams.

Imagine you went to Hoban for high school and every day you had to listen to classmates talk about how awesome St. V's is and how much better they are. See how stupid it is to be sitting in a class at The University of Akron and have to listen to idiots run their mouth about OSU.

If those students had been following St. V since they were little kids, I would totally understand it. That's what you OSU-haters don't get - these people have been OSU fans since they were little. Expecting them to stop cheering for them all the sudden isn't realistic (or fair), and ripping on them for it isn't going to make them want to join you as a die-hard Akron fan.

Now back to the original discussion...

Expecting them to stop cheering for them all the sudden isn't realistic (or fair)

but expecting them to stop wearing OSwho crap to Akron games/events, is perfectly reasonable.

+1. When this happens, the Rowdies should ridicule the guilty person with chants to the point of utter humiliation. Perhaps that would curtail it from happening again.

Students should take up (and be required to sit only in) the three sections closest to the opposing bench. If you took all the students that are spread out through the GA seating and combined them with the Rowdies, you would have a fairly large student section. Plus the non-Rowdy students might make more noise if they aren't surrounded by grumpy old people who frown on being excited. Students should NOT be allowed to sit sparsely throughout GA seating. They should be concentrated together like at the Info where they can only sit in a designated area.

^ What he said.

I really hope Wistrcill is reading this.

Expecting them to stop cheering for them all the sudden isn't realistic (or fair)

but expecting them to stop wearing OSwho crap to Akron games/events, is perfectly reasonable.

+1. When this happens, the Rowdies should ridicule the guilty person with chants to the point of utter humiliation. Perhaps that would curtail it from happening again.

Yeah, because then they'd want to come to another game for sure...

Who cares what they wear? They are a PAYING customer who, on that night, made the decision to go to an Akron Zips game over other forms of entertainment. If they have a good game experience, they'll probably come back. If they're ridiculed for wearing a shirt of a school that isn't a rival, isn't in our conference, and never plays us because some of our fans have an inferiority complex with Ohio State, they will probably say screw it and go to the movies next time. When we start selling out games, you can start being concerned with what fans wear. If it's not graphic or vulgar, who cares?

Good God...it's no surprise our fan base (especially student fan base) has trouble growing with short-sighted, ignorant attitudes like this.

Who cares what they wear? They are a PAYING customer who, on that night, made the decision to go to an Akron Zips game over other forms of entertainment. If they have a good game experience, they'll probably come back. If they're ridiculed for wearing a shirt of a school that isn't a rival, isn't in our conference, and never plays us because some of our fans have an inferiority complex with Ohio State, they will probably say screw it and go to the movies next time. When we start selling out games, you can start being concerned with what fans wear. If it's not graphic or vulgar, who cares?

Good God...it's no surprise our fan base (especially student fan base) has trouble growing with short-sighted, ignorant attitudes like this.

Our fan base has trouble growing because of the short-sightedness of allowing people to think they can get away with wearing the colors of a school we actively compete against for recruits and TV time. How can you be taken seriously when nobody cares that half the fans are wearing the gear of another team and not the one they're watching? Complacency kills.

Our fan base has trouble growing because of the short-sightedness of allowing people to think they can get away with wearing the colors of a school we actively compete against for recruits and TV time. How can you be taken seriously when nobody cares that half the fans are wearing the gear of another team and not the one they're watching? Complacency kills.

+1. Not caring sets us up to always be second best. I can just imagine what might be said to someone wearing Akron gear to an OSU event.

I agree Zach. A few weeks ago (before the MAC Tourney) a few Rowdies gave this guy a hard time over his OSU hoodie, so much that he turned it inside out.

...That guy was my friend, who i brought to the game that day. I warned him and he didn't listen. Needless to say, he didn't make the same mistake again and he's been to every game since.

You dont wear opposing colors in our house...PERIOD.

You are on to something here. I have always felt that there are too many people attending Akron sporting events that should not be allowed to attend. Something must be done about this problem before it goes any further. You are brilliant.

You are on to something here. I have always felt that there are too many people attending Akron sporting events that should not be allowed to attend. Something must be done about this problem before it goes any further. You are brilliant.

I'm going to try once more to get some points across...

Attendance - Akron was 6th in the conference last year. For this program to grow, more people need to go to games. Publicly ridiculing people who wear OSU gear (or anything else you may not like) to a game will not increase attendance. The irony is that growing the fan base is essential to reaching the goal you (and I) want to reach - Akron being on the same level as Ohio State as far as basketball programs go. If you're going to alienate fans, get used to 2,800 at the JAR every night, which hurts the program going forward.

Recruiting vs. OSU - We very rarely compete with Ohio State for recruits, unless I missed Jared Sullinger's visit to campus. Take a look at OSU's recruiting targets for the next three years (http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010). ZERO of them have Akron listed as a school of interest. Aside from a rare case, we just don't go after the same players at this point in time.

Competing with OSU - Different conferences...never play each other in the regular season...the only time we'd see them is the NCAA Tournament. Aside from a very rare occurrence, we don't and won't directly compete with OSU on the court.

Look, I'm a die-hard UA sports fan, but anyone who thinks our program is on the same level as theirs right now is delusional. That's not to say we can't get to that point. But for that to happen, increasing attendance and expanding the fan base is a must.

Simply put, to get this program to the next level, we need more fans...and if you're pushing them away because you can't get over them waring an OSU shirt to a game, you're hurting the program.

Let them have a good time at the game and enjoy our wonderful basketball team in action, and I won't just guarantee that they'll come back, I'll also guarantee that they'll eventually trade in their scarlet and gray shirt for a blue and gold one. The fan base will grow, which helps the program grow, which helps Akron eventually become a major college basketball program.

Or you can be petty and childish, ridicule these people, push them away, and we can keep the status quo.

Up to you Zips fans...

Attendance - Akron was 6th in the conference last year. For this program to grow, more people need to go to games. Publicly ridiculing people who wear OSU gear (or anything else you may not like) to a game will not increase attendance. The irony is that growing the fan base is essential to reaching the goal you (and I) want to reach - Akron being on the same level as Ohio State as far as basketball programs go. If you're going to alienate fans, get used to 2,800 at the JAR every night, which hurts the program going forward.

Recruiting vs. OSU - We very rarely compete with Ohio State for recruits, unless I missed Jared Sullinger's visit to campus. Take a look at OSU's recruiting targets for the next three years (http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2010). ZERO of them have Akron listed as a school of interest. Aside from a rare case, we just don't go after the same players at this point in time.

Competing with OSU - Different conferences...never play each other in the regular season...the only time we'd see them is the NCAA Tournament. Aside from a very rare occurrence, we don't and won't directly compete with OSU on the court.

Look, I'm a die-hard UA sports fan, but anyone who thinks our program is on the same level as theirs right now is delusional. That's not to say we can't get to that point. But for that to happen, increasing attendance and expanding the fan base is a must.

Simply put, to get this program to the next level, we need more fans...and if you're pushing them away because you can't get over them waring an OSU shirt to a game, you're hurting the program.

Let them have a good time at the game and enjoy our wonderful basketball team in action, and I won't just guarantee that they'll come back, I'll also guarantee that they'll eventually trade in their scarlet and gray shirt for a blue and gold one. The fan base will grow, which helps the program grow, which helps Akron eventually become a major college basketball program.

Or you can be petty and childish, ridicule these people, push them away, and we can keep the status quo.

Up to you Zips fans...

Your points are valid and your passion true. However, I am not going to perpetuate the argument because it really is political in that neither of us will ever be proven correct.

I would appreciate an apology for being called ignorant earlier. I am far from it. Let's not make this personal. I think we are both above that.

:cheers:

Up to you Zips fans...

It's common sense....You are going to an AKRON game...find something blue or gold even if you don't have anything with "Akron" or "Zips" or anything like that embroidered/printed on it...It's like wearing a shirt or hoodie of a different high school to ur own high school....it's common sense...

Up to you Zips fans...

Your points are valid and your passion true. However, I am not going to perpetuate the argument because it really is political in that neither of us will ever be proven correct.

I would appreciate an apology for being called ignorant earlier. I am far from it. Let's not make this personal. I think we are both above that.

:cheers:

I apologize if I offended you, that was meant for another poster who will go unnamed...it's just VERY frustrating to me to see the school/program I love held back and pushing away potential additions to our fan base just because a few people don't like Ohio State.

Up to you Zips fans...

It's common sense....You are oing to an AKRON game...find something blue or gold even if u don't have anything with "Akron" or "Zips" or anything like that on it...It's like wearing a different shirt of a high school to ur own high school....it's common sense...

Why does it matter? If they're at the game, paying money to the program/university, cheering for the Zips, who cares????? If they're supporting our school/program by being there and cheering for us, that's all that should matter.

Thanks, UAZips0510. Though, I see it as almost intentionally inflammatory to wear OSU gear to a Zips game. And it shouldn't be too much to ask them to leave the OSU gear at home even if they don't have Zips equipment. At what other school would this be common and tolerated? Certainly not at one that aspires to be at OSU's level. That's just how I see it, and I will no longer debate the issue.

Go ZIPS!!!

Thanks, UAZips0510. Though, I see it as almost intentionally inflammatory to wear OSU gear to a Zips game. And it shouldn't be too much to ask them to leave the OSU gear at home even if they don't have Zips equipment. At what other school would this be common and tolerated? Certainly not at one that aspires to be at OSU's level. That's just how I see it, and I will no longer debate the issue.

Go ZIPS!!!

At what other school would this be noticed?

Thanks, UAZips0510. Though, I see it as almost intentionally inflammatory to wear OSU gear to a Zips game. And it shouldn't be too much to ask them to leave the OSU gear at home even if they don't have Zips equipment. At what other school would this be common and tolerated?

Any other school in Ohio. The Buckeye infection is everywhere. I've seen tOSU gear in every MAC school in the state.

Go ZIPS!!!

At what other school would this be noticed?

Nearly every school in the country.

Are you an Ohio State fan or something? Seriously, not trying to direct hate at you at all, i'm just confused with how you can honestly think at a college sporting event it's alright to have another (especially a rival) team's logo on you.

Akron needs to build it's own identity, if someone wont come to something because they are a bigger OSU fan then who cares? I'd rather build something great and have a true fan base that isn't a bunch of front running sheep.