Worst Fans in the NCAA

mes102

I know this guy, he goes to Akron. He loves all Akron sports but also likes OSU football. I have never seen him wear OSU stuff ever, because he goes to Akron. When he goes to Akron games he wears Akron clothing. I imagine if he were to go to an OSU football game where they were playing anyone other than Akron he would probably have some type of Ohio State jersey or shirt to wear for just that occasion, but that's it. Is that a difficult concept to grasp?

Ok let's try a different scenario:

You're going to an Akron game. Let's say you have 20 shirts to pick from in your closet. At least ONE of them must be something that doesn't say OSU on it. As someone mentioned earlier, this doesn't even have to be an Akron shirt. Preferably it would be an Akron shirt but at least do not wear a shirt from OSU or any other university.

I can understand the idea of trying to increase the fanbase but I just cannot for the life of me understand why following these fairly commonsensical guidelines is so difficult.

And finally, in my opinion, if you liked that school so much that you just can't stand to not wear their apparel to every single sporting event you attend, you probably should have gone to school there. I went to highschool with a girl who LOVED Michigan. Almost everything she owned was Michigan apparel. So guess what this girl did after highschool? She went to Michgan! Wow what a crazy concept.

By the way, I'm from central Ohio. My hometown is 45 minutes from OSU main campus and my parents' house is 5 minutes from one of their branches, so I really wouldn't say I'm some crazy outsider who can't understand that Ohio State is "Ohio's football team"

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, UAZips0510. Though, I see it as almost intentionally inflammatory to wear OSU gear to a Zips game. And it shouldn't be too much to ask them to leave the OSU gear at home even if they don't have Zips equipment. At what other school would this be common and tolerated?

Any other school in Ohio. The Buckeye infection is everywhere. I've seen tOSU gear in every MAC school in the state.

Well, we aspire to be different than those other Ohio schools. So, the Bucks should stop (end) here. Pun intended.

Thanks, UAZips0510. Though, I see it as almost intentionally inflammatory to wear OSU gear to a Zips game. And it shouldn't be too much to ask them to leave the OSU gear at home even if they don't have Zips equipment. At what other school would this be common and tolerated? Certainly not at one that aspires to be at OSU's level. That's just how I see it, and I will no longer debate the issue.

Go ZIPS!!!

At what other school would this be noticed?

Nearly every school in the country.

Are you an Ohio State fan or something? Seriously, not trying to direct hate at you at all, i'm just confused with how you can honestly think at a college sporting event it's alright to have another (especially a rival) team's logo on you.

Akron needs to build it's own identity, if someone wont come to something because they are a bigger OSU fan then who cares? I'd rather build something great and have a true fan base that isn't a bunch of front running sheep.

I really don't see the big deal in someone wearing an OSU shirt, and I personally hate OSU. It's just a shirt. It happens across the state. We're not rivals with OSU, so it's not like wearing a Can't State shirt.

I really don't see the big deal in someone wearing an OSU shirt, and I personally hate OSU. It's just a shirt. It happens across the state. We're not rivals with OSU, so it's not like wearing a Can't State shirt.

WE ARE RIVALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We don't even play OSU. We are not rivals by any means.

We play them in soccer. Speaking of, there were a dozen OSU shirts and jackets in the crowd near where I was located at the game last night. Multiply that throughout the crowd and there really is a problem.

Thanks, UAZips0510. Though, I see it as almost intentionally inflammatory to wear OSU gear to a Zips game. And it shouldn't be too much to ask them to leave the OSU gear at home even if they don't have Zips equipment. At what other school would this be common and tolerated? Certainly not at one that aspires to be at OSU's level. That's just how I see it, and I will no longer debate the issue.

Go ZIPS!!!

Are you an Ohio State fan or something? Seriously, not trying to direct hate at you at all, i'm just confused with how you can honestly think at a college sporting event it's alright to have another (especially a rival) team's logo on you.

Akron needs to build it's own identity, if someone wont come to something because they are a bigger OSU fan then who cares? I'd rather build something great and have a true fan base that isn't a bunch of front running sheep.

Yes, I am an Ohio State fan. I didn't grow up in Akron, or near any other university. My parents were Buckeyes fans, so doing what a lot of little kids do, I followed my parents and became a Buckeyes fan. I remember starting to watch them when I was 5 years old, so by the time I got accepted to The University of Akron I had been a Bucks fan for 13 years. I graduated from Akron and continue to attend UA for my Master's Degree. Over the past 10 years, I've grown to love Akron Zips athletics quite a bit, especially the basketball program. I've been to countless games, I've traveled out of state to see them, and have successfully turned my parents and wife into Zips fans as well. The Zips are far and away my #1 collegiate sports program.

With that being said, my love for UA sports doesn't mean I'm going to just stop following Ohio State as my #2. I continue to cheer for them in every game that isn't against Akron...and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I never wear OSU stuff to Akron games, but I also don't care if other people do. It doesn't affect our recruits, it doesn't affect our players, and we are not rivals (playing them in soccer doesn't make us rivals..with that line of thinking Milliken is our rival too).

A few other things...I have seen people wear other teams' gear in other places numerous times - I've seen just about every MLB team's stuff at Progressive Field (when that team isn't playing), same goes for the Q and Browns Stadium. It happens a lot more than you think.

One more thing...any non-athlete who selects a college based on their sports teams is going to that school for all the wrong reasons.

I never wear OSU stuff to Akron games, but I also don't care if other people do. It doesn't affect our recruits, it doesn't affect our players, and we are not rivals (playing them in soccer doesn't make us rivals..with that line of thinking Milliken is our rival too).

I would beg to disagree with you. Anthony Ponikvar, the Zips back up goal keeper, writes a blog for gozips.com. In one of his blog posts he wrote,

Since this is my blog and gozips.com has given me free range to talk about almost anything that I want to, I would like to take a second here to address the student body here at The University of Akron. You all go to Akron, be proud of that. This is an amazing place to be right now. Knowing this, it makes me, and the rest of the team, absolutely sick to see the amount of other schools' paraphernalia that we see around campus.

If you feel that you need to wear some other school's name on your chest while you are at The University of Akron, then maybe you aren't at the right school. We work hard every single day to give you guys something to be proud of and it kills us to see you support some other school.

I actually had a dream the other night that shows how much this situation actually affects my subconscious. In my dream Ian Tayek, the president of the Rowdies, along with some other die hard Akron fans were going around campus throwing blue and gold paint on students they saw wearing other schools' gear, much like PETA protests against people who wear fur. While I do not condone this type of behavior or suggest that it be done, I still think that it would be pretty awesome if it actually happened.

Clearly, wearing other schools gear around campus does have an effect on the players. If you go to UA you should show a little pride in your school. It's not really to hard to ask.

Go ZIPS!!!

Yes, I am an Ohio State fan. I didn't grow up in Akron, or near any other university. My parents were Buckeyes fans, so doing what a lot of little kids do, I followed my parents and became a Buckeyes fan. I remember starting to watch them when I was 5 years old, so by the time I got accepted to The University of Akron I had been a Bucks fan for 13 years. I graduated from Akron and continue to attend UA for my Master's Degree. Over the past 10 years, I've grown to love Akron Zips athletics quite a bit, especially the basketball program. I've been to countless games, I've traveled out of state to see them, and have successfully turned my parents and wife into Zips fans as well. The Zips are far and away my #1 collegiate sports program.

With that being said, my love for UA sports doesn't mean I'm going to just stop following Ohio State as my #2. I continue to cheer for them in every game that isn't against Akron...and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

A few other things...I have seen people wear other teams' gear in other places numerous times - I've seen just about every MLB team's stuff at Progressive Field (when that team isn't playing), same goes for the Q and Browns Stadium. It happens a lot more than you think.

One more thing...any non-athlete who selects a college based on their sports teams is going to that school for all the wrong reasons.

no where in this did you say anything about you or your parents attending OSU. So you are a bandwaggon fan, you have no other reason to root for them except for the fact that they are good. You have ZERO connection to the school!

Go ZIPS!!!

no where in this did you say anything about you or your parents attending OSU. So you are a bandwaggon fan, you have no other reason to root for them except for the fact that they are good. You have ZERO connection to the school!

Alright dude lol...I guess I should have done more research on collegiate programs when I was five years old. :rolleyes:

I give up...you keep hating Ohio State and thinking they have some kind of big connection to our program. I just hope there aren't enough fans like you that will push potential new Zips fans away because your OSU inferiority complex can't stand that they might like that school's athletic teams as well.

I would beg to disagree with you. Anthony Ponikvar, the Zips back up goal keeper, writes a blog for gozips.com. In one of his blog posts he wrote,

Since this is my blog and gozips.com has given me free range to talk about almost anything that I want to, I would like to take a second here to address the student body here at The University of Akron. You all go to Akron, be proud of that. This is an amazing place to be right now. Knowing this, it makes me, and the rest of the team, absolutely sick to see the amount of other schools' paraphernalia that we see around campus.

If you feel that you need to wear some other school's name on your chest while you are at The University of Akron, then maybe you aren't at the right school. We work hard every single day to give you guys something to be proud of and it kills us to see you support some other school.

I actually had a dream the other night that shows how much this situation actually affects my subconscious. In my dream Ian Tayek, the president of the Rowdies, along with some other die hard Akron fans were going around campus throwing blue and gold paint on students they saw wearing other schools' gear, much like PETA protests against people who wear fur. While I do not condone this type of behavior or suggest that it be done, I still think that it would be pretty awesome if it actually happened.

Clearly, wearing other schools gear around campus does have an effect on the players. If you go to UA you should show a little pride in your school. It's not really to hard to ask.

Please cite specific evidence of this.

Expecting them to stop cheering for them all the sudden isn't realistic (or fair)

but expecting them to stop wearing OSwho crap to Akron games/events, is perfectly reasonable.

+1. When this happens, the Rowdies should ridicule the guilty person with chants to the point of utter humiliation. Perhaps that would curtail it from happening again.

Yeah, because then they'd want to come to another game for sure...

Who cares what they wear? They are a PAYING customer who, on that night, made the decision to go to an Akron Zips game over other forms of entertainment. If they have a good game experience, they'll probably come back. If they're ridiculed for wearing a shirt of a school that isn't a rival, isn't in our conference, and never plays us because some of our fans have an inferiority complex with Ohio State, they will probably say screw it and go to the movies next time. When we start selling out games, you can start being concerned with what fans wear. If it's not graphic or vulgar, who cares?

Good God...it's no surprise our fan base (especially student fan base) has trouble growing with short-sighted, ignorant attitudes like this.

Our fan base has trouble growing because of the short-sightedness of allowing people to think they can get away with wearing the colors of a school we actively compete against for recruits and TV time. How can you be taken seriously when nobody cares that half the fans are wearing the gear of another team and not the one they're watching? Complacency kills.

+1. Not caring sets us up to always be second best. I can just imagine what might be said to someone wearing Akron gear to an OSU event.

When I lived in C-bus I wore my Akron gear all over OSU campus and to sports events. Never got heckled. Ever. Quite the contrary, I've always been treated with respect.

Expecting them to stop cheering for them all the sudden isn't realistic (or fair)

but expecting them to stop wearing OSwho crap to Akron games/events, is perfectly reasonable.

+1. When this happens, the Rowdies should ridicule the guilty person with chants to the point of utter humiliation. Perhaps that would curtail it from happening again.

Yeah, because then they'd want to come to another game for sure...

Who cares what they wear? They are a PAYING customer who, on that night, made the decision to go to an Akron Zips game over other forms of entertainment. If they have a good game experience, they'll probably come back. If they're ridiculed for wearing a shirt of a school that isn't a rival, isn't in our conference, and never plays us because some of our fans have an inferiority complex with Ohio State, they will probably say screw it and go to the movies next time. When we start selling out games, you can start being concerned with what fans wear. If it's not graphic or vulgar, who cares?

Good God...it's no surprise our fan base (especially student fan base) has trouble growing with short-sighted, ignorant attitudes like this.

Our fan base has trouble growing because of the short-sightedness of allowing people to think they can get away with wearing the colors of a school we actively compete against for recruits and TV time. How can you be taken seriously when nobody cares that half the fans are wearing the gear of another team and not the one they're watching? Complacency kills.

+1. Not caring sets us up to always be second best. I can just imagine what might be said to someone wearing Akron gear to an OSU event.

When I lived in C-bus I wore my Akron gear all over OSU campus and to sports events. Never got heckled. Ever. Quite the contrary, I've always been treated with respect.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I attending Akron vs. Ohio State in football in Columbus a few years back and wore Akron gear. I didn't get heckled at all...a few OSU fans even approached me before and after the game to say we had a good program and that they'll be cheering for us the rest of the way.

Again, THANK YOU!

Isn't that what I did when I quoted Poni?? What more can you ask for?

Give me a basketball player, since we're discussing basketball. Judging by this guy's knowledge of the name of the leader of the Rowdies (how many other athletes would know that?) and that he's having dreams about him, I'm guessing they are friends. I want a non-biased opinion.

Give me a basketball player, since we're discussing basketball. Judging by this guy's knowledge of the name of the leader of the Rowdies (how many other athletes would know that?) and that he's having dreams about him, I'm guessing they are friends. I want a non-biased opinion.

I guarantee you that 95% of athletes on campus know who the president of the Rowdies is. And this knowledge comes from someone who is good friends with a few athletes (current and former) at UA.

I guarantee you that 95% of athletes on campus know who the president of the Rowdies is. And this knowledge comes from someone who is good friends with a few athletes (current and former) at UA.

I know a few people as well, and I can guarantee you that it's more 95% that DON'T know.

Someone please put a stop to this thread and this needless pissing match. How freaking ridiculous. How many times are we going to have this discussion on here. Nobody is going to change their minds on whether they root for OSU or not because they go to Akron. I did particularly like the part from the blog in this thread as it is the only new piece of information since this thread was hijacked for the Akron/OSU conversation.

I know a few people as well, and I can guarantee you that it's more 95% that DON'T know.

OK, to settle this one, i'm going to conduct a survey with every athlete i can get a hold of in the university.

Any other questions anyone else would like to ask them? Like about fans wearing other school's jerseys?

Did you try going to a soccer practice and chanting "ZI....PS.....ZI......PS"? Don't try wearing a Jets jersey to a Browns game if your in the second grade just because you Mom & Dad root for the Jets.

• 2 months later...

Where were the students last night? They missed one of the most entertaining games at the JAR in years. Hope our students make it for the Miami game and the remaining games. The Zips and the rest of the fans need our students! They do such a great job. Hope to see you there!

Where were the students last night? They missed one of the most entertaining games at the JAR in years. Hope our students make it for the Miami game and the remaining games. The Zips and the rest of the fans need our students! They do such a great job. Hope to see you there!

I mostly blame the JAR.