Congrats to Charlie-the-Brown

UA Fan

I was able to watch Chuck as a Brown on TV for the first time today (Normally I'm stuck watching the Lions and listening to the Clowns on the radio). I'm glad he got a win, but his weaknesses were glaring IMO. They weren't that evident in MAC play, but what a difference it makes in the NFL. I think with additional playing time and watching tape, he'll be able to read the Defenses better and make better/faster decisions. I hope continued work will improve his accuracy and arm strength. Nice win, good confidence booster to push him through the offseason.

At the game yesterday, and all of a sudden an ad comes up on the jumbo for "BG vs Wisconsin" at Browns Stadium, Sept 6, 2006..............whoa!We'd heard it as a rumor, but now I guess it's official!Also ran into Sally Frye and the Willard Possee before the game. She said his "dinger" last week was a bad one...............didn't bother her for anything else, just said we were all proud of S/man, and pulling for him.Another tidbit..........D Basch has moved out to Arizona and taken a personal trainer to give it one more shot.............good luck to him.

Fyre played well but I still have doubts whether or not he is the future QB for Cleveland. I'll have to see how he performs next season before I can get a better read. It may take 3-4 years before we see Fyre officially become a starting QB.

I'm not sure Frye will ever be a solid starter in the league. To me, he's more of a Kelly Holcomb type: a guy who lacks arm strength, has decent mobility, and plays with fire. He can give a spark to a team who needs one but I don't know if he can be the kind of QB to build a franchise around.

I'm not sure Frye will ever be a solid starter in the league. To me, he's more of a Kelly Holcomb type: a guy who lacks arm strength, has decent mobility, and plays with fire. He can give a spark to a team who needs one but I don't know if he can be the kind of QB to build a franchise around.
Interesting you posted this ITZ. You have been conspicuously quite about this subject the past couple of years. I've always felt there was more than meets the eye about your lack of comment on this subject. That goes for others on this board as well. ;) Happy New Year everyone.

I'm not sure Frye will ever be a solid starter in the league.  To me, he's more of a Kelly Holcomb type: a guy who lacks arm strength, has decent mobility, and plays with fire.  He can give a spark to a team who needs one but I don't know if he can be the kind of QB to build a franchise around.
Interesting you posted this ITZ. You have been conspicuously quite about this subject the past couple of years. I've always felt there was more than meets the eye about your lack of comment on this subject. That goes for others on this board as well. ;) Happy New Year everyone.
Well Charlie was great for the Zips and there was a lot of excitement around the University when he went in the 3rd round to the hometeam. I didn't want to rain on everybody's parade, but facts are facts. I wish Charlie nothing but the best, but I don't think he's an NFL franchise QB.

I don't know..............maybe I'm biased, but I think he's done a pretty fair job.Keep in mind he's running plays spoken into his ear...........and he's trying to be a coach pleaser........they all do at the start...........the only time I can remember him stepping on his johnson was that crappy shovel pass last Sunday.............but he won't do that again, guaranteed.I can see him being great, and I can see him being a bust. It all depends on what's around him..............he'll make the best of what he has to work with.I just wish ya'lld lay off..........it's way too early.

Give the guy a line or he is going to end up injured enough we'll never know if he can play.I don't remember Couch running around as much as Charlie did in the last two games. The dude got BEAT up. Good luck Charlie, your gunna need it.If I were a Browns fan, I would be happy with what I seen out of Charlie this year.Remember he is a ROOKIE. Give him a chance to go through a camp getting more snaps.Wait until Charlie learns the offense inside and out, like you know he will.Then start making some decisions on wether or not he can "make" it in the NFL.Get some WR's. I NEVER seen as many dropped passes as I have with that group.I'm not making excuses for Charlie, I just think I need to see more than just a handfullof starts to decide if he is a "Kelly Holcomb"???

Don't put me down as a hater. I hope Charlie makes Tom Brady look like a looser, but I'm just stating what I saw. Nobody works harder than that guy, and he'll improve, but how much can you improve arm strength? Isn't one of those god given talents? Better supporting personnel would help too.

I too see his arm strength is a bit on the weak side. That being said, In the right offense, that won't matter. I think Charlie has the "right stuff" to make it. I watched a program on Chris Carter the other day, when he came into the NFL they said he was was too big and slow to be a wide reciever in the NFL. In his prime any team in the NFL would have taken that "big, slow" wide reciever. Sucks he had to end his career in Minnesota ;) (thats for you CK)Point = tangibles are important but so are intangibles. Only time will tell if Charlie is NFL material.

Don't put me down as a hater. I hope Charlie makes Tom Brady look like a looser, but I'm just stating what I saw. Nobody works harder than that guy, and he'll improve, but how much can you improve arm strength? Isn't one of those god given talents? Better supporting personnel would help too.
Never apologize for your opinions Zipsrifle.

In my opinion Frye has a much stronger arm than Drew Brees did as a rookie. Add that Frye is much faster and can throw on the run. I see no reason why Charlie Frye shouldn't improve with each game and be the Browns starter for years to come. :screwks:
If Frye can get some great off season coaching, and improve his mechanics, he will be fine. He will only get better with experience, and hard work.

Thanks Dad :thumb:

I didn't get to hear the whole piece, but Gil Brandt was discussing Charlie Frye on NFL Radio on Sirius. He had a lot of good things to say about him. But he said something I have never heard before.He said "the one knock I have on Frye is that he has small hands, and it is hard to throw the ball in the cold with small hands" Anybody else heard of this before?

I didn't get to hear the whole piece, but Gil Brandt was discussing Charlie Frye on NFL Radio on Sirius. He had a lot of good things to say about him. But he said something I have never heard before.He said "the one knock I have on Frye is that he has small hands, and it is hard to throw the ball in the cold with small hands" Anybody else heard of this before?
I remember hearing that when Charlie was at the combine. Most quarterbacks hands measure 7.5'' + from wrist to middle finger tip. His was somewhere in the 6's. But hey, it's not like he played in sunshine and 70's while here at Akron, so I don't think it's all that much of a problem for him.

Thanks Dad :thumb:
You're welcome......son. :thumb:

There was an interesting statistic about NFL QBs recently that someone told me about and wanted me to guess who was #2 on the list.Ben Roethlisberger has the highest completion percentage of NFL QBs in 2005 with over 100 attempted passes. Who was second? Being the genius I am, I immediately knew it would be Frye.....and it was. What other QB would complete a hugely high percentage and still only win 40% of the games he started? Remember the LO offense that moved the ball like crazy between the 20s and couldn't get it done when they needed to? A QB must have more steak than sizzle or you get the reputation for being "more sizzle than steak".

GP, in all fairness to Frye, Trent Dilfer couldn't do anything in the redzone for the Browns when he started either. In fact, since the Browns have come back, no QB has been able to do squat in the redzone. Not Garcia, not Couch, not Holcomb. It starts with the running game which was better this season but was completely shut down in the red zone and it moves to play calling where Maurice Carthon the offensive coordinator was completely lost.