Better or Worse in 2012?

johnnyzip84

What are the chances that a new coach, with a new system, who is trying to rebuild a program, would invest any time in a QB who has only a handful of games left in his career, and has posted an 85 and 75 QB rating during the last two seasons ?

Bad, if you are Ole Miss. Good if you are PN7.

Just looking over what we DO have (and this assumes they stay...and assumes they have not left already and I don't know about it!!)

Chisholm is a nice back, and I am pretty confident he could work in any system. Our WRs are young and have some promise. If we bring in a spread offense...Rossi would look nice at the OLB next to Wagner. He is just a football player!

QB= don't count out D'Orazio, especially if we go with a spread that is more like RichRod (run) vs. Mike Leach (pass). Or, and I have thought this from the couple times I watched him in HS..he could be moved to S and with him, Wagner and Rossi we begin to have a nice mix there.

The lines are the concern..I think we lose 5 of our top 10 on Oline and 5 of 8 on Dline. We are going to need JUCOs there if we expect to have any chance to win more than 1-2 games.

I don't think we can make a really informed win prediction until we see the coaching staff, the recruiting class (and by that, I mostly mean any 1 year transfers and JUCOs we might get that can help immediately), and who is left on the roster come spring. I think 1 to 5 wins is a reasonable range for predicting..if one were to predict. :)

I agree about D'Orazio. I think he may be the guy next year. The new HC knows he wll get a "hall pass" for his first year. It may be better to use that year developing the QB he wants long term. That is what Ianello did in 2011. That is what I think he will do...if he thinks enough of D'Orazio.

About the lines... losing 4 of 5 starters on the OL should make anyone cringe. But....the OL was REALLY bad last year or quit. In either case...it should not take a lot to get some improvement. I hope the new coach brings in a good teacher for the OL coach. How successful we are will depend on how good we can get the OL. It will take some pressure of the defense because they will have better field position and be on the field less. For me...it starts with the OL. With a good OL and a all our skill guys back for next year...any of the 3 possible QB options will be a dramatic improvement over 2011.

I read a story a few weeks back about how the University of Michigan ranked 108th in the country against the rush last season, and were ranked 8th this season when the story was written. That was with 7 defensive starters returning. The big difference was in the new defensive coaching staff. While the Zips aren't likely to get that big a turnaround, it's possible with the right coaching staff to have a noticeable improvement.

I feel differently about next year. The new QB, RBs and WRs from this past year will all have a season under their belts working together.

No way Ole Miss wins any QB battle where Ianello isn't involved. It's like thinking Bryan Hipsher would start at any basketball program where his dad wasn't the head coach.

Either Nicely is the QB in 2012, and we run the spread. Or some new JUCO is our QB.

Or this guy.

I feel differently about next year. The new QB, RBs and WRs from this past year will all have a season under their belts working together.

No way Ole Miss wins any QB battle where Ianello isn't involved. It's like thinking Bryan Hipsher would start at any basketball program where his dad wasn't the head coach.

Either Nicely is the QB in 2012, and we run the spread. Or some new JUCO is our QB.

Or this guy.

We seem to be forgetting about Kyle Pohl. He was rather highly rated coming out of high school. 3-stars, I believe. Ohio North-South All-Star Game participant.

Or this guy.

We seem to be forgetting about Kyle Pohl. He was rather highly rated coming out of high school. 3-stars, I believe. Ohio North-South All-Star Game participant.

Yes. Point is, we have options at QB. We just chose not to use them because the coach sure liked playing favorites.

• 2 weeks later...