Brian Wagner status

jupitertoo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask a question: Do you think Brian Wagner has delusions of grandeur about a prospective NFL career? Does he strike you as that type of person? Or do you think that he just might have a pretty good idea of his chances? Do you think Brian has a realistic assessment of his own skills and talents or do you suppose he thinks playing for Akron his senior year might jeopardize his first round draft status? NFL scouts know talent when they see it. Do you think Brian hasn't already been evaluated by NFL concerns? Do you think Brian is oblivious to this? Do you really think Brian Wagner is (as my dad says) "that ate up"?

XU9697 is right. There is a whole lot more to this than the NFL. Think about it. Give Brian a little more credit.

Do you think Brian Wagner has delusions of grandeur about a prospective NFL career? Does he strike you as that type of person? Or do you think that he just might have a pretty good idea of his chances?

No, I don't think he is delusional. I think he is a guy with a unique opportunity to look at a college season beyond the ones he singed up for when he was 18 and wants to explore his options. He is breaking no ncaa rules and has completed his course requirements for graduation so in a technical sense, his obligations to UofA are over. I believe his best option is UofA, but there isn't anything wrong with exploring.

The NFL? Who wouldn't want a shot at the NFL if they had one?

I think his best option is Akron also! Because that is what I would like to see. That is what would make me happy. As much as I want him to come back for 2012, I think he has earned the right to do what he thinks will make him happy. I haven't walked a mile in his moccassins, but I am sure there are many totally legit reasons why he is exploring his options.

However it all turns out, I hope Wags doesn't look back later and regret his 2012 decision. I have heard that it is better to regret something you did rather than regret something you didn't do, though. Dunno.

Regardless of what Brian does, I think things are looking up for the Zips in 2012 and I am happy about that.

Go Zips!

Pays a lot better than most jobs.

TOTALLY agree!

Seriously, though...21 year old kid from Springfield, OH...chance to go live in Arizona for "free" for a year and play the sport he loves. Chance to see LA, the Pacific Northwest, etc. Every school has hot chicks, but, c'mon...it is summer ALL THE TIME in AZ. Ladies in bikinis, tank tops, etc. for 9+ months. Brian...you have done your time at THIS UA. Go get them, my man! God speed!!!

I think his best option is Akron also! Because that is what I would like to see. That is what would make me happy. As much as I want him to come back for 2012, I think he has earned the right to do what he thinks will make him happy. I haven't walked a mile in his moccassins, but I am sure there are many totally legit reasons why he is exploring his options.

+1

He has done a fine job of representing this University and has stuck around through some crappy football. Would hate to see him go, but would be there to wish him the best if he does.

The NFL? Who wouldn't want a shot at the NFL if they had one?

He has a shot. He will (imo) be drafted in 2013 if he plays for the Zips, drops down to D2 or plays for the Buckeyes next year. I think he would be drafted if he declared for this year's draft. I'm not poohpoohing his chances at the NFL, I just don't believe that is his main motivation.

In all honesty, if he truly wants to transfer, his best bet is going to Cincinnati. He is from Springfield, UC might be down next year but still would be hard to not be 6-6 and bowl team. UC is a similar type campus (urban) and they have a good coach with good defense and a positive environment. I am not ENCOURAGING him to go at all, but based on his background, UC's background, the situation...UC would be near the top of the best type of place for him.

What about someplace like Toledo? Wagner is a known commodity in the MAC, Toledo needs defensive help, and they have a good chance to go to a bowl if that is his goal.

He has a shot. He will (imo) be drafted in 2013 if he plays for the Zips, drops down to D2 or plays for the Buckeyes next year. I think he would be drafted if he declared for this year's draft. I'm not poohpoohing his chances at the NFL, I just don't believe that is his main motivation.

He should take a shot at the draft this year. He already has his degree and what if he gets hurt playing out that last year? If he can get drafted now, he should go for it.

He should take a shot at the draft this year. He already has his degree and what if he gets hurt playing out that last year? If he can get drafted now, he should go for it.

The draft isn't something someone should take a shot at. A player is either ready or they aren't.

Frye stayed for his senior year because there was a good chance he wouldn't get drafted. Even after his senior year, he was a third round pick to the only team stupid enough to draft him. Frye was a more attractive NFL player than Wagner after his junior year and he might not have gotten drafted. There is no way Wagner gets drafted this year. He would be a fool to try and I think he knows that. A lot can change, but I don't see him getting drafted after next year regardless of where he plays.

I agree, GP1. Would be shocked if Wagner is ever drafted. Might catch onto a practice squad as a free agent, but I doubt that any team would be interested in a guy his size. Then again, the Browns did draft Chaz Frye...so there actually IS one team dumb enough to waste draft picks.

Brian is rated 18th at his position by NFL draft scout.

18 is pretty far down the list. My guess is the after the first five or six, nobody really takes a close look at the players. A lot can change between now and next year, but what won't change is he is only 6' tall. He is going to have to really impress on special teams...something he has never stood out in at Akron. Blackburn was a very good special teams player at Akron and got his chance because of it. CB was also a huge guy who could fight it out in the trenches of the NFL once he got his chance to play LB.

Not getting drafted isn't the worst thing that could happen to Brian. He'll get his shot. A non-drafted marginal player can select a team instead of being forced to play for one that picked him. There are no guarantees for draft picks. Brian is going to have to be smart about his choices and he will have several to make in the next year. The first smart choice he can make is staying at Akron for another year and play for Amato.

They play the 3-3-5 (RichRod does), so Wags would be familiar with that from JD's first year. Can't blame a kid for leaving Ohio for a year in Arizona.

Why would he go back to that defense set? I know that he knows it, but when the Zips team defense is ranked ahead of theirs, it makes no sense.

Good riddance. If he doesn't want to be here, then he isn't a true Zip and I don't want him on the team. Have fun with Dick Rod and his pathetic defenses.

Oh well. I'd like to welcome him back to any football alumni party the Zips will be throwing in 2013.

I saw something on TV today about De'Quell Jackson being a tackling machine as well. Every highlight showed him making tackles 10 yards downfield. Jacksone = Wagner. We needed Brian back, but at the end of the day, he is an above average college LB who isn't really a difference maker. Life wil go on.

No way. That is like your wife dumping you for another guy and you tell her that she is still welcome to come to your family functions.

Not really. Brian fulfilled his obligations to UofA in his graduating. Sort of like me dying. If I died, my wife is free to marry anyone she wanted. Granted, she could never find anyone as great as the Great GP1, but the option would be there.

Good luck to Brian and again, welcome to alumni parties in 2013.

Understand this! Brian Wagner, was one of the most respected, curteous, humble, hardworking athletes to ever play at Akron. His only obligation is to play hard and graduate. No where is it written that any athlete has a duty or responsiblity to the university they attend BEYOND their graduation.

Brian played 3 amaizing seasons and if leaving is in his best interest then everyone should wish him well.

Understand this! Brian Wagner, was one of the most respected, curteous, humble, hardworking athletes to ever play at Akron. His only obligation is to play hard and graduate. No where is it written that any athlete has a duty or responsiblity to the university they attend BEYOND their graduation.

Brian played 3 amaizing seasons and if leaving is in his best interest then everyone should wish him well.

+1