Who gets the ball?

Big Zip

There has been talk about this team being a team and not individual players, but you often need someone to step up in crunch time. In the recent past we've seen Mark Alberts, Andrick, Bosley, Ball, Schindewolf, Rashon Brown, A Hip all be that go to guy -- who is it on this team? I can't think of anyone on this team I would feel confident about more than the list above or even as confident for that matter. You can call me any name under the sun, but this is what scares me about this team. Youngblood stepped up for Can't yesterday -- we saw Hayes do it earlier this year for Can't -- who does it at Akron. Believe it or not the way Preston has been playing -- he's the guy I get the ball to -- he's playing with confidence and moving well around the court.

again your ignorance about the current team is astounding. joyce is the go to guy as he was last year at BG. nice history lesson but try watching the current team more and you may see the trends that others pointed out to you about past teams. spitting out analysis that others have spoken to you and passing it off as your own thought is pretty lame. but not as lame as claiming to be a real fan but not coming to games and blaming your baby and a drive in to the games. you are totally lame. go back into hibernation wannabe zip.

again your ignorance about the current team is astounding. joyce is the go to guy as he was last year at BG. nice history lesson but try watching the current team more and you may see the trends that others pointed out to you about past teams. spitting out analysis that others have spoken to you and passing it off as your own thought is pretty lame. but not as lame as claiming to be a real fan but not coming to games and blaming your baby and a drive in to the games. you are totally lame. go back into hibernation wannabe zip.
mwily, I am assuming you are not addressig me, are you ?

I will put on my moderator hat for 1 minute:Stop it with the personal attacking of other posters. It has no place on this board. It won't be tolerated.BigZip's post brings up a legit question. It was phrased perfectly fine. He merits no attack.

As a mostly-lurker, let me just say thanks for that, CK.Big Zip always seem to bring up fair points and I don't think Willy's obviously personal axe to grind is shared by anyone else and is getting a bit tiresome.Anyway, the half-full way to look at it is, maybe any of them can conceivably step up if it comes down to that. I agree with Preston. I might give Dials a chance to shoot the big three if needed. On the other hand, with as many bigger guys with range this team has, at least we should be able to get a shot off in a do-or-die situation, which not every team can do.

So I assume you are telling me you feel confident with Dru taking that shot....thanks for answering the question. I'll mark that down for one vote for Dru.I think mreleganza might be right and with a team like this it is a situational thing...who gets the ball depends on who we're playing, who's hot amid various other factors.

So I assume you are telling me you feel confident with Dru taking that shot....thanks for answering the question. I'll mark that down for one vote for Dru.I think mreleganza might be right and with a team like this it is a situational thing...who gets the ball depends on who we're playing, who's hot amid various other factors.
Dru is our go-to guy when the clock is ticking down. You saw it in the MAC tourney last year when he dribbled out the clock in regulation and hoisted a 28 footer. You saw it at game's end vs. OU earlier this season.Dru can be very effective if the match up suits his game, but I don't like him being the go to guy when we need a shot. I would agree that Preston or Peterson are the best options. If someone like Middleton would drive the lane and kick it out to Dru, that's fine. But Dru is very "guardable" one-one-one.I think Dials could be "The Man" in such situations his Jr and Sr years. And, you hear nothing but good regarding Conyers.

There has been talk about this team being a team and not individual players, but you often need someone to step up in crunch time. In the recent past we've seen Mark Alberts, Andrick, Bosley, Ball, Schindewolf, Rashon Brown, A Hip all be that go to guy -- who is it on this team? I can't think of anyone on this team I would feel confident about more than the list above or even as confident for that matter. You can call me any name under the sun, but this is what scares me about this team. Youngblood stepped up for Can't yesterday -- we saw Hayes do it earlier this year for Can't -- who does it at Akron. Believe it or not the way Preston has been playing -- he's the guy I get the ball to -- he's playing with confidence and moving well around the court.
Keep posting Big Zip! It's nice to see someone on this board do something other than just agree with eveyone else. That's the stuff that good boards are made out of. If you were the first to call for the firing of Owens, you were ahead of the curve. If you were the first to call for firing The Hip, you were ahead of the curve. Most still haven't forgiven me for pointing out that Charlie Frye doesn't win games. I would bet that most of them deep down inside are pissed to no end that the Zips won the MACC without Frye. Life goes on.... Keep posting.

ced is the only guy that can create his own shot so i'd give him the ball ..... this at least gives the team the option for the drive and kick out or the possibility of drawing a foul. :screwks:
i agree with this. ced is one of my favorite player because he can create something if need be. and when he does have to dribble into the forest he can get a decent shot off, and isn't just throwing up crap. i like the idea of him penetrating then kicking it out, but i'm not sure to who. it seems like everyone on our team is capable of shooting the three except for romeo.

"Keep posting Big Zip! It's nice to see someone on this board do something other than just agree with eveyone else. That's the stuff that good boards are made out of. If you were the first to call for the firing of Owens, you were ahead of the curve. If you were the first to call for firing The Hip, you were ahead of the curve. Most still haven't forgiven me for pointing out that Charlie Frye doesn't win games. I would bet that most of them deep down inside are pissed to no end that the Zips won the MACC without Frye. Life goes on.... Keep posting."Here we go, yet again. We get a legitimate basketball question and GP1 finds a way to rip LO and CF. Hasn't the statue of limitations run out on bashing LO and CF? How far back do we have to go? There's never a comment about the damage done to the program with Faust....and how so many of his players didn't "win games"!And nobody is pissed off that we won the MACC--without Frye. Actually, my hunch is that GP1's biggest thrill related to the MACC was that it was done without CF-so he could continue to bash him. --Not that it was a wonderful experience for the University of Akron--Players graduate and/or use up their eligibility all the time. The goal is to keep getting better and better players and to find ways to win championships-even if you can do it by winning fewer conference regular season games than the year before.As for Who get's the ball? Peterson should be the guy. But he won't be. You have to play more than 8 minutes a game and play without the fear of getting pulled after one mistake. As I have said, Peterson is not a KD player-will continue to give the PT to Ced and Nate. Anyone who saw the BG game on the road saw how well DP can play--he was down low most of the second half and was very effective with the ball in the paint. He opened up several opportunities for Rome as well. Both players were either fouled or got off a 6 foot shot.. Yet DP came out.....and as the clock wound down in regulation-BG allowed Nate to get the ball and his final shot was awful.Dru will be the guy.....and this makes me very uneasy if we are in close games down the stretch.

"Keep posting Big Zip! It's nice to see someone on this board do something other than just agree with eveyone else. That's the stuff that good boards are made out of. If you were the first to call for the firing of Owens, you were ahead of the curve. If you were the first to call for firing The Hip, you were ahead of the curve. Most still haven't forgiven me for pointing out that Charlie Frye doesn't win games. I would bet that most of them deep down inside are pissed to no end that the Zips won the MACC without Frye. Life goes on.... Keep posting."Here we go, yet again. We get a legitimate basketball question and GP1 finds a way to rip LO and CF. Hasn't the statue of limitations run out on bashing LO and CF? How far back do we have to go? There's never a comment about the damage done to the program with Faust....and how so many of his players didn't "win games"!And nobody is pissed off that we won the MACC--without Frye. Actually, my hunch is that GP1's biggest thrill related to the MACC was that it was done without CF-so he could continue to bash him. --Not that it was a wonderful experience for the University of Akron--Players graduate and/or use up their eligibility all the time. The goal is to keep getting better and better players and to find ways to win championships-even if you can do it by winning fewer conference regular season games than the year before.As for Who get's the ball? Peterson should be the guy. But he won't be. You have to play more than 8 minutes a game and play without the fear of getting pulled after one mistake. As I have said, Peterson is not a KD player-will continue to give the PT to Ced and Nate. Anyone who saw the BG game on the road saw how well DP can play--he was down low most of the second half and was very effective with the ball in the paint. He opened up several opportunities for Rome as well. Both players were either fouled or got off a 6 foot shot.. Yet DP came out.....and as the clock wound down in regulation-BG allowed Nate to get the ball and his final shot was awful.Dru will be the guy.....and this makes me very uneasy if we are in close games down the stretch.
I wasn't talking about you. You're right though, I was proven correct and I'll be the first one to say it. The very next year the guy left school we win a championship with a team that had less talent. You do the math.Good basketball post though. Keep it up. You guys should listen to ZipsWin! when he makes a basketball comment. He knows more about basketball than the rest of us put together. That's a sincere statement too. :cheers:

It is amazing to me that we can question a coach who is about to lead us to our first twenty win seasons in nearly 20 years. Do you realize that UA has only 5 winning seasons in the MAC in 15 years and KD will have led us to two. Also UA has been D1 for 26 years now and has only 10 winning seasons and 4 were with Hugs. I am sure that he does not play Peterson for a variety of reasons including that he is a poor defender and passer and does not make big plays at crunch time. Be thankful that we have had a great season with one of our best players out (Wood).