Could the Zips Surprise?

Lee Adams

Not that I have high expectations,but... I'm looking at the roster and the number of players who have actual game experience,the players who have been 'brought' in and the staff. IF this team gets some decent QB play and Coach Chuck can raise the level of play on the D side,this team might surprise some folks. Not saying that is what is going to happen. But, 3-4 games into the season if these guys start to figure it out,they may sneak up on some MAC teams.

Not expecting too much in the first month. They better beat Morgan State. But, if they can cut down the TO's from the QB position and control a game a little on the defensive side,they might have a shot at some upsets.

They might get into some 'shootouts' but what the hell.

Love the topic. Could they surprise? Yes...it's the mac and strange things happen. A surprise for me would be 5 wins, but all things considered, it would be a huge success.

I think 5 wins would have to be considered one of the biggest turnarounds in recent history. Considering the Zips have won 43 games in the last 10 years (avg of 4.3 wins per season); and have won 5 games or more in only 12 of the 25 seasons they've been at the FBS level, a five-win season would be incredible. I hope everyone has realistic expectations for the season -- I'm not sure what that is... but as long as I see some exciting play, a well prepared and conditioned team, great enthusiasm and players who never quit -- I'll consider it a successful season.

I think 5 wins would have to be considered one of the biggest turnarounds in recent history. Considering the Zips have won 43 games in the last 10 years (avg of 4.3 wins per season); and have won 5 games or more in only 12 of the 25 seasons they've been at the FBS level, a five-win season would be incredible. I hope everyone has realistic expectations for the season -- I'm not sure what that is... but as long as I see some exciting play, a well prepared and conditioned team, great enthusiasm and players who never quit -- I'll consider it a successful season.

We may need an up grade in talent, but this is the MAC for goodness sake. I will be surprised if we don't get 5 wins! First, I don't think the D was that bad. They need to find a pass rush and someone to cover at the line of scrimage. Early signs are good. The last 2 years the D was put in position to fail with repeated turnovers and 3 & outs by the O. Our new scheme will help the O. We were so predictable that 12 year old kids in the stands knew what we were about to run. That same 12 year old could have matched their passing accuracy! We don't need a stud at QB; just someone that gives the recievers a chance. The new scheme will give our line a better chance for success not being required to hold their blocks as long to give our QB the time he needs. We should have all known what we were in for last year when Mt Union kicked our butts in preseason 7 on 7. I think I'm kind in saying that our entire former staff was clueless! The people in the best position to see that were on the field, and I think they checked out by mid season. From the player interviews that I have seen so far this season, I think our new staff has begun to change the culture. Just look back to remember what Miami did "in recent hisrtory." This is the MAC. Coaching makes a difference in the "cradle of coaching"!

Akron needs to surprise to get better. Another 1-2 win season will not help with recruiting. To get good recruits you need to win. Winning helps you get good recruits. It's a circle that has to start this season.

We have the coach and the facilities to compete at a very high level. Now the team needs to start winning so that the higher level can get here sooner rahter than later.

When you think back, a lot of not all, of our issues were coaching. Now we have a much better HC and overall staff. The future is looking a lot brighter. Now the wins need to start.

Akron can surprise and I think they will.

I don't see anyone predicting greater success than your own earlier predictions, so I don't think that's going to be a major issue in 2012 :)

Akron needs to surprise to get better. Another 1-2 win season will not help with recruiting. To get good recruits you need to win. Winning helps you get good recruits. It's a circle that has to start this season.

We have the coach and the facilities to compete at a very high level. Now the team needs to start winning so that the higher level can get here sooner rahter than later.

When you think back, a lot of not all, of our issues were coaching. Now we have a much better HC and overall staff. The future is looking a lot brighter. Now the wins need to start.

I would disagree on that point :P

If we're talking about a new coach without a proven record, then yes. (ala iCoach). However, rebuilding this team is going to be a massive project and TB already has a proven track record. I would think this provides him with a longer grace period before recruits would decide he can't get the job done. Certainly longer than 1 year anyways...

Akron can surprise and I think they will.

:bow:

If we're talking about the recruiting impact, then scoring an upset in one of the first two games is crucial. It tells recruits in Florida that we're not worse than their worst teams.

FAU is BY FAR the worst FBS team in Florida. The Zips don't play the Owls in 2012.

I do think it is important for UA to play MUCH better than last year to get some momentum going in recruiting. I'd say 4 wins, with most of the losses being reasonably competitive, will accomplish that.

We have a coach that has won a National Championship, Coach of the Year and the son of the winning coach in CFB history. Wins will certainly help but he is going to get good players.....mark my words. He is an extremely charismatic, well connected, persuasive guy. And lets not forget our defensive coordinator, Chuck Amato, he is pretty credible himself. My hope these two guys alone, just by being who they are will make our team BELIEVE they are better. I don't think anyone had confidence in iCoach and they were just going through the motions.

We have a coach that has won a National Championship, Coach of the Year and the son of the winning coach in CFB history. Wins will certainly help but he is going to get good players.....mark my words. He is an extremely charismatic, well connected, persuasive guy. And lets not forget our defensive coordinator, Chuck Amato, he is pretty credible himself. My hope these two guys alone, just by being who they are will make our team BELIEVE they are better. I don't think anyone had confidence in iCoach and they were just going through the motions.

AMEN.