Time to clean house

ZachTheZip

In all fairness, if so many people cared about soccer wouldn't you expect more than 2,460 for a MAC championship game? I respect what Porter and the Zips have done, bringing Akron a championship. But at the end of the day I would trade that championship for a winning football team. We just watched our basketball team crush any chance of decent crowds, rankings, and an at-large bid. Football secured it's 3rd 1-win season in a row. Fun weekend for Zips fans! Not sure what John Buchtel did to curse our school, but dang...the constant disappointments are so much fun!

I would trade our football program and the cost of Infocision stadium for a world class basketball arena that can support hockey and a better soccer stadium.

"Nobody" watched Akron football when they were winning. We took 10,000 to Detroit only to fill the lower seating of Ford field. Compare our numbers to the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and PAC 12. Heck, even the Big East and ACC makes are numbers look pathetic.

Akron could be undefeated in football right now and we'd still have a lot of empty seats at the Info during games.

Zips Football Attendance:

d9z.png

In all fairness, if so many people cared about soccer wouldn't you expect more than 2,460 for a MAC championship game? I respect what Porter and the Zips have done, bringing Akron a championship. But at the end of the day I would trade that championship for a winning football team. We just watched our basketball team crush any chance of decent crowds, rankings, and an at-large bid. Football secured it's 3rd 1-win season in a row. Fun weekend for Zips fans! Not sure what John Buchtel did to curse our school, but dang...the constant disappointments are so much fun!

That's you. I wouldn't trade anything the Men's Soccer team has done for anything. It was a GREAT weekend for this Zips fan, hopefully to be finalized with the correct announcement at 5:30 pm today.

Now, shut your pie holes and let Coach Bowden and Coach Dambrot do their jobs. Try supporting them for a change.

^This

Except I disagree with the "Shut your pie holes" part. I believe everyone can express their opinion, no matter how bad they are.

I feel the same way they do about how bad football is, and my hopes were particularly trashed after believing that Bowden was a difference maker. He may yet be, but one thing is clear, coaching alone does not bring wins. So let's hope he knows how to build something. Year one down... three more to go (unless year 3 is two wins or less).

The basketball situation really hurts. Losing two key components to a clerical error and losing the first game(s) basically puts us back to "must win the MAC tourney" before the season ever really even started. Hard to imagine a boom in ticket sale now. Quantify that clerical error in dollars.

I can understand the disappointment and dejection.

In the end, what I can't understand is the guerrilla form of quitting people want to commit.

Instead of just throwing their hands up, walking away, and saying "I'm not a fan anymore", they think everything should be taken away for everyone.

Temper tantrums are ugly and childish. If your heart isn't in it anymore then go away gracefully. Don't pick up the chess board and smash it into pieces. There are others who can persevere.... who believe that the best kind of winning is the hard kind of winning.

I still believe.

I won't quit on my city or my school. Ever.

Our day will come.

GO ZIPS!

Well Said '82. I spoke with my father a huge Zips fan and STH since 1964. He mentioned something that I feel has not been said... We gotta give credit to UMass. Those guys have faught hard all year undermanned, undersized, and were expected to be whipping boys. They played hard, didnt give up and deserved this win. He also said that after Coach Bowden got the kids up for all those other games, they just didn't have anything left to give. The Zips were tired, jumping offsides constantly, not taking advantage of bad field position. Should they have won this game... and going away, but they didn't and thats why games are not played on paper. I still believe in TB. I am not happy right now, but I am proud of this team and the way they played (almost) all year. I think that next year we need to figure out special teams (finding a returner, just kicking the ball deep and not worrying about a 50 yard return) and using some better defensive schemes. I am sick about hearing about 1AA or FCS or whatever its called now. Akron will get better but, it is going to be a "process" whether or not you like it. Go Zips!

@zen, I agree with you that no one should be discouraged from expressing their honest opinions, and that tantrums don't add much to the conversation. Thoughtful opinions should be encouraged, even those we may disagree with. I've learned a lot from paying attention to people on this forum who see things differently from the way I do.