Time to clean house

ZachTheZip

I've seen enough of players who don't give a sh*t whether we win or lose. Coach Bowden needs to go through and assess the attitudes of every player on the roster, and get rid of anybody with a poor attitude, regardless of their talent level. It's a poison and it's seeped into every crack of the football program.

To the Newbies:

Welcome to our misery. You now have an understanding of what it means to be a Zips fan.

Here's a rundown:

Football: 3-33 last 3 yrs

Basketball: High Expectations since Zeke's arrival. 20+ win seasons. No NCAA or NIT wins and a CBI/CIT 1st round upset at home -- start out this season with a egg-laying loss to Coastal Carolina

Soccer: ranked #1, nobody cares or watches soccer, will most likely not win a National Title

Track: MAC Champs and some NCAA qualifiers... nobody cares...

Baseball: sad

Golf: sad

Rifle: really???

Meanwhile down the road in Portage County:

Football: 8-2 and 6-0 in MAC East -- poss MACC and most likely a Bowl Game

Basketball: 20+ win seasons, MAC Titles, Tourney wins in NCAA, NIT and others

Baseball: World Series Run

Golf: NCAA Tournament.

WTF????

To the Newbies:

Welcome to our misery. You now have an understanding of what it means to be a Zips fan.

Here's a rundown:

Basketball: High Expectations since Zeke's arrival. 20+ win seasons. No NCAA or NIT wins and a CBI/CIT 1st round upset at home -- start out this season with a egg-laying loss to Coastal Carolina

Soccer: ranked #1, nobody cares or watches soccer, will most likely not win a National Title

WTF????

The common denominator;

TomWistrcill.jpg

By now Terry must realize that this is not a "normal" losing program. I have concluded that the stadium on campus, the name of which should not be spoken because the company that purchased naming rights is an exploitative scam machine, is in fact Akron's very own FACTORY OF SADNESS.

I've asked the question several times over the last couple of seasons, normally to be disregarded, about why UA is so deeply bad, why all of the facilities upgrades have done nothing for the program. Whatever the answer, I've concluded that Akron will never succeed at FBS football. The reasons almost don't matter to me anymore. It's been 25 years of D-1/FBS play, only 7 winning seasons, and none with more than 7 wins. Are you kidding me? To boot, against ALL odds, they have inexplicably gotten worse AFTER all of the new humdinger facilities. Something is deeply, deeply wrong with this picture. If Akron were going to find a way, surely it would have happened by now.

Akron football isn't the Cubs. There's nothing lovable or cuddly about these Zippers. It's god damned depressing. This is the one thing that Proenza will never get right. Akron will not win in FBS. It's time to admit that 25 years of life-sucking horribleness is enough.

I would say the program should drop to FCS, but I'm not convinced this program would win at the FCS level. Wouldn't everybody really be healthier and happier without UA football going forward?

I also want to publicy apologize to Gerry Faust. I've always pictured him in my mind as the definition of college football coach loser guy. But guess what? He came here at the inception of D-1, played an Independent schedule in the worst facilities in the country, and god damn it he won some games. That's something today's bunch of loser clowns (and I'm talking to coaches and players over the years since the campus upgrades began) haven't done. Just gray and disgraceful is what this program is.

Jesus H Christ, I hope that there is a Doctoral candidate on campus looking for something to study. It would be fascinating to dive deep into why this sad sack program is just such a bummer, so discouraging, so craptacular.

If you are an Akron football administrator, coach, recruiter, or player, you should punch yourself in the nose and cry yourself to sleep tonight. That's what you're all about, and you've dragged all of us to that place with you, damn you.

I'm done actually believing in this program or even hoping for better. It really just needs to be drowned in the tub.

By now Terry must realize that this is not a "normal" losing program. I have concluded that the stadium on campus, the name of which should not be spoken because the company that purchased naming rights is an exploitative scam machine, is in fact Akron's very own FACTORY OF SADNESS.

I've asked the question several times over the last couple of seasons, normally to be disregarded, about why UA is so deeply bad, why all of the facilities upgrades have done nothing for the program. Whatever the answer, I've concluded that Akron will never succeed at FBS football. The reasons almost don't matter to me anymore. It's been 25 years of D-1/FBS play, only 7 winning seasons, and none with more than 7 wins. Are you kidding me? To boot, against ALL odds, they have inexplicably gotten worse AFTER all of the new humdinger facilities. Something is deeply, deeply wrong with this picture. If Akron were going to find a way, surely it would have happened by now.

Akron football isn't the Cubs. There's nothing lovable or cuddly about these Zippers. It's god damned depressing. This is the one thing that Proenza will never get right. Akron will not win in FBS. It's time to admit that 25 years of life-sucking horribleness is enough.

I would say the program should drop to FCS, but I'm not convinced this program would win at the FCS level. Wouldn't everybody really be healthier and happier without UA football going forward?

I also want to publicy apologize to Gerry Faust. I've always pictured him in my mind as the definition of college football coach loser guy. But guess what? He came here at the inception of D-1, played an Independent schedule in the worst facilities in the country, and god damn it he won some games. That's something today's bunch of loser clowns (and I'm talking to coaches and players over the years since the campus upgrades began) haven't done. Just gray and disgraceful is what this program is.

Jesus H Christ, I hope that there is a Doctoral candidate on campus looking for something to study. It would be fascinating to dive deep into why this sad sack program is just such a bummer, so discouraging, so craptacular.

If you are an Akron football administrator, coach, recruiter, or player, you should punch yourself in the nose and cry yourself to sleep tonight. That's what you're all about, and you've dragged all of us to that place with you, damn you.

I'm done actually believing in this program or even hoping for better. It really just needs to be drowned in the tub.

GREAT post.

I'm so disappointed in this program that I can't even begin to put it words, and i'm glad someone else can without it just devolving into profanity-laced nonsense.

@STZ your contempt is understandable. Over often thought Akron would be a great book in terms of their football failure. Chapters could be, but not limited to the following.

1. Faust knew what to do and nobody else did.

2. The mistake of keeping Dennison as AD.

3. A natatorium does not a d-1 team make

4. Apathy

5. Replacing the rubber bowl

6. Marketing vs winning: they are the same thing.

7. Keeping coaches too long

8. Recruiting: no NE Ohio high school coaches, your leftovers are not d-1 players....get over yourselves.

9. Tob Wistrello: Akron's Katrina.

Over the next two years, this book could be written with the two possible titles for the last chapter.

1. Finally

2. Enough is enough.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig. We played a bad team and made them look good! The D found themselves often in a hole, but did they get just the one 3 & out at the goal line? Stretch the D? I don't think 13 is capable of throwing the ball down field, and he has not shown the ability to manage game pressure. I would like to see if Pohl can add something to our O. TB wants to find the big play makers. Right now, the only possability of a big pass play is big yards after the catch. This team has played with a lot of heart all year. What team will show up at the Glass Bowl?

K-Roo

You may be nobody, but I'm not. There's nothing more fun to watch and no group of players who take more pride in being Zips than our Men's Soccer teams year in and year out. I strongly suggest you should keep your statements to yourself if you don't like soccer. That's your loss. Attitude like yours is the reason for failure. If you really want Zips sports to succeed, contact the AD. Offer your help; ask him what you can do. Put him on the spot, and ask him what he's doing, but don't bash our proud and successful Zips whom I'd travel anywhere to support (and have).

GREAT post.

I'm so disappointed in this program that I can't even begin to put it words, and i'm glad someone else can without it just devolving into profanity-laced nonsense.

We all had a little higher expectation level even for this season. Maybe we got a little too caught up in the TB hoopla. At different times he has seemed to admit that the job is going to be a little tougher than he expected. I would never want to go back to the Faust era. If anything go back to '03,'04,05 that was fun. But,don't go back there anyway.

You have to at least believe that Bowden will significantly improve the program.He has done it before. He is going to have to adjust his thinking a little however. This ain't Auburn and it ain't DII. However,it can turn into 'no man's land' if you let it. Lets take a look after the 2014 season and check the level of competitiveness. In the meantime try to hang on.

We all had a little higher expectation level even for this season. Maybe we got a little too caught up in the TB hoopla. At different times he has seemed to admit that the job is going to be a little tougher than he expected. I would never want to go back to the Faust era. If anything go back to '03,'04,05 that was fun. But,don't go back there anyway.

You have to at least believe that Bowden will significantly improve the program.He has done it before. He is going to have to adjust his thinking a little however. This ain't Auburn and it ain't DII. However,it can turn into 'no man's land' if you let it. Lets take a look after the 2014 season and check the level of competitiveness. In the meantime try to hang on.

Lee, I respect your opinions. Your posts are well considered. However, regarding this talk of "no man's land," that's exactly where this program has now been during the D-1/FBS experiment. It's been 25 years of not really belonging. This was a good, solid 1-AA program. Elevating to D-1 has brought nothing but failure to this program. It's time to end the mistake and take this program to its rightful place, in FCS.

Think about it. Are ANY posters confident that this team would win consistently in FCS these days? I'm not. So, the reality is that this team, which is supposed to have escalated its level of play to FBS level in the last 2.5 decades, has not only failed in that regard, but has fallen through the previous floor. They are actually worse and less competitive, almost as if by magic, than they were before the move to D-1. Instead of a smaller, FCS program that competes and wins and can draw, say, 12-15K and hold the attention of a local fan base, UA has become an embarrassing joke on the field. Few are willing to follow this team, no local HS coaches want their kids at Akron, the coaches can't recruit decent talent, local residents are mostly scornful, nobody wants to be associated with the stink of this program. It's no freaking fun.

Programs that have successfully grown from FCS to FBS have done so on some reasonable time frame. Whatever the formula for success in such a transition, UA blew it, and it's too late to fix that. Are the few remaining UA football fans going to stick with a program that rewards them with one or two meaningful games every 25 years? Wouldn't it be better to enjoy a smaller-scale program that would win games, provide actual positive entertainment value, put some local fans in the seats?

From campus take Route 8 south to the Central Interchange. Follow I-76 East until you come to your Promised Land.

For those of us who care, keep fighting, cheering and donating to Zips sports.

The rest of you, go piss down your sorry assed legs like you always do.

Two ZipsNation members I respect are DaveInGreen & Hilltopper. They helped sell Coaches vs. Cancer bands.

AdaZip kept the secret. Not a single ZNO poster identified himself to me at either of the exhibition games while

I was selling wrist bands. Now, that was "impressive".

Now, shut your pie holes and let Coach Bowden and Coach Dambrot do their jobs. Try supporting them for a change.

From campus take Route 8 south to the Central Interchange. Follow I-76 East until you come to your Promised Land.

For those of us who care, keep fighting, cheering and donating to Zips sports.

The rest of you, go piss down your sorry assed legs like you always do.

Two ZipsNation members I respect are DaveInGreen & Hilltopper. They helped sell Coaches vs. Cancer bands.

AdaZip kept the secret. Not a single ZNO poster identified himself to me at either of the exhibition games while

I was selling wrist bands. Now, that was "impressive".

Now, shut your pie holes and let Coach Bowden and Coach Dambrot do their jobs. Try supporting them for a change.

I have no idea what you're talking about GoZips. I have not pissed down my leg, yet. No doubt my day will come. Instead of you denigrating that FCS team to the east, how about the Zips actually become at least as good as that team year in and year out? I'm no Penguins fan but it's delusional to think that, living in a fact-based world, this program has been better, or even as good, as that program has, over the years. Fans who allow, follow, cheer this sad-sack program become enablers of suckitude. How long does the beaten wife stay with the abuser?

I believe we can be successful as a D-1A program. I could also be totally wrong. As a point of fact, thus far, I am almost totally wrong.

Give TB three more years to get something going. If failure continues, figure something else out. By then, the changing landscape of college football may be to the point that the BCS schools figure it out for us.

The experiment is now 25 years old. Margaret Mead didn't hang out with the apes in Africa for this long and she learned a Hell of a lot. In three years, the experiment should be complete one way or another.

While our record from last year may end up the same, the progress was unmistakable. I don't think some of you realize how completely devoid of talent this team really is. If TB can get 3500 yards out of a 1-AA backup, I can't wait to see what he can do after a couple recruiting classes. Patience, people.

To the Newbies:

Here's a rundown:

WTF????

Even though I have a very negative opinion about you based on your unintelligent soccer reference, I understand you're going through a lot of pain with Zips football.

I still love all Zips fans.

Lee, I respect your opinions. Your posts are well considered. However, regarding this talk of "no man's land," that's exactly where this program has now been during the D-1/FBS experiment. It's been 25 years of not really belonging. This was a good, solid 1-AA program. Elevating to D-1 has brought nothing but failure to this program. It's time to end the mistake and take this program to its rightful place, in FCS.

Think about it. Are ANY posters confident that this team would win consistently in FCS these days? I'm not. So, the reality is that this team, which is supposed to have escalated its level of play to FBS level in the last 2.5 decades, has not only failed in that regard, but has fallen through the previous floor. They are actually worse and less competitive, almost as if by magic, than they were before the move to D-1. Instead of a smaller, FCS program that competes and wins and can draw, say, 12-15K and hold the attention of a local fan base, UA has become an embarrassing joke on the field. Few are willing to follow this team, no local HS coaches want their kids at Akron, the coaches can't recruit decent talent, local residents are mostly scornful, nobody wants to be associated with the stink of this program. It's no freaking fun.

Programs that have successfully grown from FCS to FBS have done so on some reasonable time frame. Whatever the formula for success in such a transition, UA blew it, and it's too late to fix that. Are the few remaining UA football fans going to stick with a program that rewards them with one or two meaningful games every 25 years? Wouldn't it be better to enjoy a smaller-scale program that would win games, provide actual positive entertainment value, put some local fans in the seats?

Unfortunately,I am not saying that you are wrong. I have wondered for years whether this program can sustain competetiveness at the DI level. Bowden may be the best shot before the administration must do a serious re-examination of the long term. This program will never attract a consistently large following,win or lose. Never has. We have already seen,not surprising to many of us,that even the novelty of a new facility wears off quickly. I spoke with a faculty member who is very close to the prgram. Right after they hired TB he said the biggest concern was that if the team didn't win some games early this season the 'Bowden glow' would wear off. Thats what happened.

Can this program ever attract a sufficient number of solid recruits to establish a winning program? We will know in 2 years.

Dear all,

Right away, because of my background, some of you will never accept me. I'm a 1991 graduate of Can't State. I am also a UA graduate. I am a loyal alumnus of both institutions. I am sure I am not the only one out there. Obviously, Can't State is doing well this year and I am proud of the Flashes. I am also a fan and supporter of the Zips. I attended several games this year and understand there is a lot of frustration out there in Zips land; this is obvious and understandable. just my opinion, but I know that Terry Bowden will turn this around. It will take another year before we see results but it will happen. Bowdeis a real football coach, but he can't change the culture is one year. Go Zips!

K-Roo

You may be nobody, but I'm not. There's nothing more fun to watch and no group of players who take more pride in being Zips than our Men's Soccer teams year in and year out. I strongly suggest you should keep your statements to yourself if you don't like soccer. That's your loss. Attitude like yours is the reason for failure. If you really want Zips sports to succeed, contact the AD. Offer your help; ask him what you can do. Put him on the spot, and ask him what he's doing, but don't bash our proud and successful Zips whom I'd travel anywhere to support (and have).

Whatever... believe what u want....

In all fairness, if so many people cared about soccer wouldn't you expect more than 2,460 for a MAC championship game? I respect what Porter and the Zips have done, bringing Akron a championship. But at the end of the day I would trade that championship for a winning football team. We just watched our basketball team crush any chance of decent crowds, rankings, and an at-large bid. Football secured it's 3rd 1-win season in a row. Fun weekend for Zips fans! Not sure what John Buchtel did to curse our school, but dang...the constant disappointments are so much fun!