Is Frye the Guy?

Dr Z

Former Akron QB gets questioned by Canton RepositoryDo browns believe in frye?Monday, April 3, 2006BROWNS BEAT STEVE DOERSCHUKYou can spend a franchise’s history never getting lucky with a quarterback in the draft. Or you can luck into a Ben Roethlisberger.Since re-inventing themselves as the Baltimore Ravens, the former Cleveland Browns have gone through 10 drafts, picking seven quarterbacks.Those passers have combined for 6,729 air yards, with 38 touchdowns, 37 interceptions and a 69.9 rating. None was involved in Baltimore’s Super Bowl season.The Steelers pounced on Roethlisberger when assorted teams left him for the scarfing at No. 11 overall in 2004.In two years, Roethlisberger has passed for 5,006 yards, with 34 touchdowns, 20 interceptions and a 98.3 rating. The Steelers are 31-7 (5-1 in the postseason) since that pick.Phil Savage, who had a front-row seat in Baltimore’s drafts from 1996-2004, has made his view of drafting quarterbacks quite clear. That is, it’s a murky business.“Anytime you’re up at the top of the draft, you’re in shark-infested waters because there’s certainly no guarantee,” the Browns general manager has said. “With the money available to those high picks, you want to be convinced this is the right person, regardless of position.“It seems for every hit at quarterback, there’s a big-time miss. It’s something you have to be really careful with.“You also have to do it with a lot of confidence from an organizational standpoint and give that player enough support so that if he does struggle, he’s not going to fall totally off the radar.”The Browns aren’t at the top of the draft, but they’re pretty high, at No. 12.Everyone assumes Matt Leinart won’t drop that far.It’s unlikely Vince Young will, although his status is less certain.Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler shapes up as this year’s parallel to Roethlisberger.In 2004, the Browns liked Roethlisberger but had a veteran starter (Jeff Garcia) and designs on a young quarterback (they picked Luke McCown in Round 4).In 2006, everybody likes Cutler, but the Browns have a veteran (Trent Dilfer) and a young quarterback (Charlie Frye), the new regime much preferred to McCown.The 2004 Browns let Roethlisberger slip to the Steelers, rudely warping the AFC North landscape.If the 2006 Browns get a crack at Cutler but pass, Baltimore is waiting at No. 12.The parallel could shoot way off line, though.We know now Roethlisberger can swim with the sharks. No one knows if Jay Cutler can.If you want an example of how quickly the NFL can turn into “Jaws” for a young QB, see 2005 No. 1 pick Alex Smith’s rookie year.An obvious problem with drafting Young or Cutler would be rocking Charlie Frye’s world.Frye has understated yet immense confidence. He thinks — and is good at persuading people he’s right — he can be one of the league’s best. He does that without any of the smugness emanating from some of the name-brand QBs.That he’s so in tune with the region will be a huge bonus, if he can play.Frye is thrilled by the present landscape. The team needs a young QB to settle into the critical position, and he is the only legitimate option. Bringing in Cutler would tell Frye the chiefs doubt seriously that he is the right option.Fans, in turn, would fry Cutler if he didn’t shape up quickly. He’d be the kid who bumped Charlie for no good reason.The possible ramifications are complicated.The course of action is not.Savage and Romeo Crennel have analyzed Frye thoroughly enough to turn an orange helmet blue. They must trust their projection, which, of course, they won’t share with us.If they think Frye can be close to as effective as Cutler over the long haul, they should hoist the “Up With Chuck” banner and spend the No. 12 pick on any other position.If their studies indicate Cutler projects as clearly better than Frye, they shouldn’t leave Cutler there for the vultures. Or the Ravens.

I still think Fyre has to prove more to be "the guy." I think he has the tools to be a successful QB, but he has a log way to go.
Not only does he have the tools, he also has an incredible work ethic. He has been at Browns headquarters virtually every day this offseason studying game film and bulking up. He has also bonded with Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. I think a lot of Browns and Zips fans will be presently surprised by his level of maturity next season.

THE NEWSThe Browns won't officially name their starting quarterback, but that's not fooling any of Cleveland's AFC North rivals. "They've got a good young quarterback in Charlie Frye," Steelers coach Bill Cowher told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, a sentiment echoed by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. "I think the Browns will be a better football team; they've settled in on a quarterback, have an identity," Lewis saidOur ViewThe Browns' official position is that they haven't named either Frye or Trent Dilfer their starter, and it's conceivable that they'll let Trent go into camp believe that. But there's little doubt that Frye is the future of the team, and given their offseason spending it appears the Browns believe the future is now.source: fanball

• 2 weeks later...

it would be stupid for cleveland to pick up young. don't get me wrong he is a great QB but we are already started down a path with charlie and if we stop and turn around now it'll just take up alot of time. all in all I would not mind seeing dilfer become the starter again this year I wanna see charlie take the browns to super bowl championships 10 consecutive times just as much as the next zip/browns fan but I just also know that cleveland has a fine tradition of takeing great QB's and turning them into crap (Tm Couch) :wall:

Everything that has been out there so far seems to indicate that the Browns aren't really targeting Young but are checking him out should the scenario arise. Savage was quoted when asked about the teams interest in Young as saying something like "You don't want to be caught with your pants down come draft day." Speculation is that if Young is there at 12 we will likely look for a trade partner (Minnesota keeps coming up) and try to keep him away from Baltimore.As far as Frye goes, anyone who believes that Trent Dilfer has a legit shot to be the starter next year is crazy. Romeo Crennel can spend all the time he wants to saying that we have a QB battle going into camp but its just not happening. Think about it, if Dilfer had a legit shot at being the starter in Cleveland why is it that the cornerstones to be of the franchise (Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow) have spent all offseason with Frye and various sporting events (Zips bball, Zips spring game, Cavs games) and in the film room together. If Dilfer had a shot at it those two would not be spending all of their time with Charlie, they would be spending more time with both of them.

I heard a report with Phil Savage this evening and he said he did not call Detroit. He said that Detroit called Cleveland, just like they called every other team in the league because they're trying to dump Harrington. They asked if he was interested, he said no and that was that. Believe what you want. I am gonna believe Savage still has faith in Frye.

Harrington coming to Cleveland (though it doesn't look likely) would have no effect on Frye. Rumor has it that Dilfer is on the outs with Offensive Coordinator Mo Carthon and may be traded. Harrington in that case would likely be brought in as a backup which is all he is ever going to be anymore in the NFL. Detroit ruined him worse than Cleveland screwed up Tim Couch. The kids psyche must be shot and he has taken a lot of bad hits due to that offensive line.

I can't believe Cleveland was even considering Joey. Living in Michigan, I am force fed Detroit Sports. Though Frye has to improve from last season if he wants to keep playing in the NFL, Harrington is a lost cause. That guy has been beat upon so bad up here, he probaby cries himself to sleep every night. :cry: Oh, and he sucks too.

I wonder why Denver jumped ahead of Cleveland to take Jay Cutler?I think the honest Mr Savage (see I didn't want Harrington, I did want Harrington story),saying that he was going to trade his pick if Cutler fell to them might be a load of :john: (as soon as I heard Savage say they would trade that pick if any of the top three QBs fell. I thought they would have taken a QB if they (top 3) did. I'm guessing Denver did too)The draft value chart shows the difference between the pick above the Browns and the Browns pick was about 250 units. The difference is a top third round pick.So why would Denver give away value like that if the Browns were willing to trade?I wonder if any of this motivates Charlie? Just a thought.

I wonder why Denver jumped ahead of Cleveland to take Jay Cutler?I think the honest Mr Savage (see I didn't want Harrington, I did want Harrington story),saying that he was going to trade his pick if Cutler fell to them might be a load of :john: (as soon as I heard Savage say they would trade that pick if any of the top three QBs fell. I thought they would have taken a QB if they (top 3) did. I'm guessing Denver did too)The draft value chart shows the difference between the pick above the Browns and the Browns pick was about 250 units. The difference is a top third round pick.So why would Denver give away value like that if the Browns were willing to trade?I wonder if any of this motivates Charlie? Just a thought.
Its pretty well documented that the QB they were looking hardest at was Vince Young. Neither of the two other elite QB's (Lienart or Cutler) were even in for a visit. Owner Randy Lerner commented the other day that when they were going around debating prospects in the war room that Bernie Kosar actually said something to the effect of "he plays his best in the last 5 minutes of the game." Lerner said that through all the muddle that that summed it up right there. I don't think Cutler was ever really a serious option.

i agree no one will remember dilfer in 25 years, even with his super bowl ring. he was so vital to the ravens that they got rid of him following the super bowl in favor of elvis. that says it all. i'll remeber dilfer for wearing terry bradshaw's face mask in tampa bay for luck. gimme a break. the browns will bring in some old time qb to help school charlie. charlie will be fine. the o-line just improved big time.

Its pretty well documented that the QB they were looking hardest at was Vince Young.  Neither of the two other elite QB's (Lienart or Cutler) were even in for a visit.
The Mike Shanahan-Jay Cutler marriage is going to be one of those 15-year unions. I said to Shanahan on Sunday night, "If Cutler's right when he says he hasn't talked to you guys for two months, how in the world did you end up taking him with the 11th pick in the draft?'' Shanahan laughed. "The first time I talked to him was yesterday, after the pick, and we met here today," Shanahan said from Denver. "I studied him and watched him and looked at the draft board and didn't say very much to anyone. I said, 'I'm just going to shut up and hope it works out.' I've been in this thing long enough. You don't give anyone your hand. Don't give anyone an idea, or it's out very quickly. Keep it to yourself.source