MAC player Eric Fisher drafted #1 overall

Dr Z

Right, the MAC gets 25% credit for Michael Cox no matter how you cut it. The Big Ten gets the other 75%, as Cox transferred to UMass from the University of Michigan for his senior season to prove he could be a starter for an FBS team, and UMass has only been in the MAC for one season.

• 1 month later...
This is great for the conference, but for recruiting I'm not sure it really changes much.
When a three star QB recruit commits in June and is quoted about the overall number one pick. I would say that is a change. :thumb:

Chandler Kincade:

My family and I, since I decommitted, we never looked down at the MAC. You see the guys who come out of [the conference]. This year they have the No. 1 pick.”

When a three star QB recruit commits in June and is quoted about the overall number one pick. I would say that is a change. :thumb:

Chandler Kincade:

My family and I, since I decommitted, we never looked down at the MAC. You see the guys who come out of [the conference]. This year they have the No. 1 pick.”

I guess my point was that it wasn't directly beneficial to Akron. It's exciting we have a 3 star, but Central (where player was actually from) has 3. Western has 10.

I'm not convinced we're in the top half of the MAC yet for potential recruits, but certainly we're moving up the list.

• 5 months later...
Regardless of what you think of Mel Kiper, he has another MAC player listed in his top five draft picks - no surprise - Khalil Mack. That's good for the conference (plus Jordan Lynch getting an invite to the Heisman ceremony doesn't hurt).
I wrote about it back in September...but really got no interest (other than JohnnyZip) Maybe now that the end of the year is near? I wonder what place Lynch comes in? I heard Herbstreit say something to the fact, "you have to write somebody down for number two, why not Lynch?" I think the guys on PTI echoed the same last week.

I guess my point was that it wasn't directly beneficial to Akron. It's exciting we have a 3 star, but Central (where player was actually from) has 3. Western has 10.

I'm not convinced we're in the top half of the MAC yet for potential recruits, but certainly we're moving up the list.

I saw Western Michigan's potential 2014 class on Rival's and the obvious question is how are they doing it (ranked top 50) after going 1-11. I don't know for sure, but I have to speculate that they are taking chances on kids from tough locations. This can work if they come from a good family, or it can backfire as it did for Faust and Brookhart. P J Fleck, their new coach, seems to be trying to take a short cut to a winning record. Fleck may have benefited from reading a little American history about the Donner party heading out West in 1846 before settling on a recruiting strategy. After becoming trapped in the mountains during the Winter and surviving by cannibalizing several members of their group, one emigrant offered a warning to all who came after - 'take no short cuts and always hurry along'.

By the way we currently have two 3*'s in Kincade and Boxen (more on the way I'm sure).