How Seriously Should We Take Sports?

Sports can make people crazy. Sometimes we scream for a defensive player to take another player's head off. Sometimes we scream to kill the ref. In Brazil, they take it literally.

Soccer Referee Killed And Quartered By Fans In Brazil After Fatally Stabbing Player: POLICE

... it all started when referee Otavio da Silva expelled player Josenir Abreu from a game last weekend. The two got into a fist fight, then Silva took out a knife and stabbed Abreu, who died on his way to the hospital.

The statement issued this week says Abreu's friends and relatives immediately "rushed into the field, stoned the referee to death and quartered his body."

Local news media say the spectators also decapitated Silva and stuck his head on a stake in the middle of the field.

Holy s***! People need to calm down, it is just a GAME, chill out. I mean I could understand if this was Ollamaliztli (the Mesoamerican game where the winning or losing team would be ritually sacrificed), but it isn't.

The major takeaway here is men being men. Two guys get into physical fight, one stabs the other, friends of stabbed man kill the man who stabbed them. It seems that it had less to do with sports and more to do with a fight and people not knowing how to act like adults. I despise Can't State and Ohio University and Ohio State when it comes to sports, and I actively cheer for their teams to lose. But I don't want to get in physical altercations with their fans, especially since I have many friends who are fans of them.

People just need to remember that modesty is always the best. If you win, cool. Don't gloat too much. If you lose, well it's just a game.