Scheduling 2 for 1's?

K-Roo

But is that team interesting? The answer is no.

LA Lafayette isn't interesting? I would assume that anyone who doesn't think they are interesting doesn't know anything about good college football and they are more interested in the idea of playing a BCS team than watching good football. LAL is the most interesting team on the schedule. It's the one game I have circled on my calendar that I might make a trip back to Ohio to watch a game. When the Zips get things turned around, this is exactly the team that will give fans wet dreams when they think about watching the Zips win against good teams. How many nine win, conference champions and bowl champions are coming to the Big Dialer next year?

LAL 2012 Schedule and Results

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why in the world are we playing each other?

Options could be, but not limited to:

1. Money

2. Easy win

3. Each had an open date that needed filled and playing each other was the only option

Teams play for all sorts of reasons. Caring doesn't have to be one of them.

LA Lafayette isn't interesting? I would assume that anyone who doesn't think they are interesting doesn't know anything about good college football and they are more interested in the idea of playing a BCS team than watching good football. LAL is the most interesting team on the schedule. It's the one game I have circled on my calendar that I might make a trip back to Ohio to watch a game. When the Zips get things turned around, this is exactly the team that will give fans wet dreams when they think about watching the Zips win against good teams. How many nine win, conference champions and bowl champions are coming to the Big Dialer next year?

LAL 2012 Schedule and Results

First, they're the Sun Belt champions. That puts them behind at least four MAC teams (NIU, Toledo, Can't, and Ball State) on our schedule in terms of being a good football team. James Madison is more interesting to me (partially because they might be in the MAC in a few years, partially because they might be better than Lafayette).

I've sat through every home game the past five years. If it was about watching good football, I would have quit long ago. I'm there to support my university and its athletic programs. What does playing Lafayette do for the Zips? Nothing. Nobody cares if we win, nobody cares if we lose. It doesn't help recruiting either way and TV stations aren't interested in carrying it.

First, they're the Sun Belt champions. That puts them behind at least four MAC teams (NIU, Toledo, Can't, and Ball State) on our schedule in terms of being a good football team. James Madison is more interesting to me (partially because they might be in the MAC in a few years, partially because they might be better than Lafayette).

I've sat through every home game the past five years. If it was about watching good football, I would have quit long ago. I'm there to support my university and its athletic programs. What does playing Lafayette do for the Zips? Nothing. Nobody cares if we win, nobody cares if we lose. It doesn't help recruiting either way and TV stations aren't interested in carrying it.

James Madison finished in 4th or 5th place in their 1-AA conference last year. That game interests me about zilch. There is no chance they are a better team than ULL. I am very excited for the ULL game. That should be exciting football to watch.

Then why in the world are we playing each other?

I guess the point would be if everyone is just going to sit around and say "I don't want to play them", then small schools might as well forget playing OOC games. Just play your conference and take your beatings (and paychecks) from the big schools.

Is that what we want? No. So get off the high horse and see that there are plenty of good small-school programs out there, and support those games. We've been arguably the worst FBS program for the past decade or so, so let's be happy anyone of merit would schedule a home-and-home with us.

Good discussion.

But I was curious if you had your choice would you prefer to do what is being done now or take the Fresno State approach of anyone, anyplace anytime?

What caught my attention were the games some of our conference mates have coming up.

I am amazed that Miami FL is coming to a MAC venue.

Would you be in favor of 2 for 1's or 3 for 1's to get that level of opponent to come to Akron? Just front-load it so we get our game 1st. Then go there.

I think you would sell out the Info for Miami FL, NC State etc regardless of how good or bad we are at the time. And I know you can't beat 'em if you don't play 'em.

And I'd rather take a 1-11 against this level opponent than Sunbelt/MAC and FCS opponents.

Rather be going to see Miami, USF, NC State, FSU, Pitt, Rutgers, etc than ULL, Morgan State etc.

If we get pasted by Miami, then so what -- it's expected. But if we give them a game... We are the buzz all over the country.

The FCS games are a no-win scenario. Lose to Gardner-Webb or Morgan State and you are a laughing stock. As we found out 2 yrs ago.

Just my opinion.

That puts them behind at least four MAC teams (NIU, Toledo, Can't, and Ball State) on our schedule in terms of being a good football team. James Madison is more interesting to me (partially because they might be in the MAC in a few years, partially because they might be better than Lafayette).

I don't know if I would use the word "behind". I would use the words, "in the same category as". LAL is exactly the type of team we should be playing because they are in a league that is MAClike and they play quality football. I'm not sure what NIU, Toledo, Can't and Ball State did last year that puts them above LAL. NIU beat Army and Kansas (horrid programs)....lost to a 4-8 Iowa then were humbled in a BCS game they could have easily lost by 50 proving every pundit right who said they didn't belong in the game.

Since this topic is about scheduling, I'll get back to that. I can't control what other people like. If someone is impressed by bottom dwelling Big Ten teams and they want to see those bad teams play because of tradition or all of the things that don't really matter, then so be it. I prefer to watch Zips teams schedule relevant teams in conferences similar to ours. It's better for the program in the long run because it establishes winning as a priority.

Lastly, how on Earth would a IAA team like James Madison beat a LAL team that almost beat Florida. Your bunghole is going to hurt for days from pulling that leap of logic out of it....

Good discussion.

I am amazed that Miami FL is coming to a MAC venue.

Would you be in favor of 2 for 1's or 3 for 1's to get that level of opponent to come to Akron? Just front-load it so we get our game 1st. Then go there.

The FCS games are a no-win scenario. Lose to Gardner-Webb or Morgan State and you are a laughing stock. As we found out 2 yrs ago.

Just my opinion.

I agree with this whole heartedly. We got some buzz last year from the Tennessee game because a MAC team (especially the worst MAC team) is not supposed to be in any kind of contention with an SEC team, through 3 quarters. I had several Tennessee fans approach me at Neyland stadium saying "What a game!"..."I really hope to see you guys going places..." ext.

I get how a guaranteed loss each season is pessimistic; but if it is our only loss in a season...and a good game...that just seems positive to me.

Let me take one more stab at the ATM game (and see if I can kill it here). Earlier, I said ATM games (1 away game and done) rip up a program. How? It alienates your potential fans. Most paying college football fans in Akron or anywhere want to see wins and want to support a well run program, which means scheduling teams that don't just throw a check at your AD after playing against insurmountable odds. Players and some hard core Akron fans like these away venue games, but most casual fans watch week one and two of the college football season and all they hear are negative comments on the networks and ESPN about cupcake U and how they are only playing established programs for the paycheck. The thought goes something like this - do I want to buy a ticket from Akron when all they want is money and don't care much for taking the rights steps to methodically get better and strengthen schedule as you improve. We have a beautiful stadium with great football fans in the area that will supply more revenue than any ATM game. We should use the new facility by only signing contracts with a home game in the series and start piling up the w's and increasing attendance. We can always play the big money teams later in a bowl game and grab our fair share, if we do things right.

Earlier, I said ATM games (1 away game and done) rip up a program. How? It alienates your potential fans.

We have a beautiful stadium with great football fans in the area that will supply more revenue than any ATM game. We should use the new facility by only signing contracts with a home game in the series and start piling up the w's and increasing attendance. We can always play the big money teams later in a bowl game and grab our fair share, if we do things right.

Two things here. First, fans don't care about the money. They care about winning. 99% of the fans who attend games have no idea what the annual operating budget of their Athletic Department is. I'm OK with an ATM game as long as it is one game a year and early in the season so fans forget after a couple of wins.

The reason for scheduling ATM games is the Big Dialer can't produce $1 million in revenue for a single game. The Athletic Department couldn't support itself without outside help from these types of games, student fees, the taxpayers, etc. They are a necessary evil.

Two things here. First, fans don't care about the money. They care about winning. 99% of the fans who attend games have no idea what the annual operating budget of their Athletic Department is. I'm OK with an ATM game as long as it is one game a year and early in the season so fans forget after a couple of wins.

The reason for scheduling ATM games is the Big Dialer can't produce $1 million in revenue for a single game. The Athletic Department couldn't support itself without outside help from these types of games, student fees, the taxpayers, etc. They are a necessary evil.

Fans care about money when it is their money. Fans also like to be associated with smart well run programs, as I said before. A full or close to full stadium for a season would out fund any opening season ATM single game. Proposing to look at fans as stupid is definitely not going to help either. Transient AD's looking for short term budget improvement with these 1 and done games to build a resume should be steered in the right direction for the long term health of the program. Your named ATM game is part of the problem and is helping rob Akron of success on the field and ultimately in their coffers. Pause and think about it - we have been doing these ATM games since 1987. Has it worked out for Akron? The answer is no. The word should go out from the fans - schedule anyone, anywhere, anytime (except Spring ha ha), but one game must be played here. 1 home 1 away contracts are best. 2 away 1 home would work with the right teams, but would necessitate that a 1 and done FCS team home game would have to be fit in.

Here's one last item that is sure to ruffle some feathers and evoke a troll. When we can forecast that we are beginning to gain strength (soon) and decide to place several more established teams in a 2 away 1 home game contract on our forward OOC schedule (along with 1 and 1 non BCS conference team contracts) and we have a hole to fill on our home opener, we should attempt again to get YSU in a 1 and done here. We have tried this before and their AD balked at it, but we now have a Tressel card to play.

Here's one last item that is sure to ruffle some feathers and evoke a troll. When we can forecast that we are beginning to gain strength (soon) and decide to place several more established teams in a 2 away 1 home game contract on our forward OOC schedule (along with 1 and 1 non BCS conference team contracts) and we have a hole to fill on our home opener, we should attempt again to get YSU in a 1 and done here. We have tried this before and their AD balked at it, but we now have a Tressel card to play.

I like the idea. Frankly I don't know why Akron and YSU don't play more often. Side Note: I also thing (and yes I know the reasons why they don't) but Buckeye State should play Ohio teams more often.

I like the idea. Frankly I don't know why Akron and YSU don't play more often. Side Note: I also thing (and yes I know the reasons why they don't) but Buckeye State should play Ohio teams more often.

Hasnt OSU routinely played 1-2 in state opponents every year?

Why would UA want to schedule YSU? It's a no-win situation for the Zips. When they grow a pair and go D-1A, we can resume the Steel Tire game. Until then, piss on 'em.

Why? This thread was talking about 2 for 1's which can cause a home game hole in your schedule where you would need a 1 and done home game. This would mean scheduling a FCS team. This thread was also talking about ATM games and the pro and cons. If you pass on the ATM game then you rely more on home attendance. Morgan St. type teams do not putt enough people into the seats and there is no connection with Akron. If YSU would do it, I'd book them for an Akron home opener (no away return - not allowed by MAC rules anyhow ) every other year. If they would wise up (Tressel could explain to the right people) they would accept as they covet MAC affiliation and playing this game would be a move in the right direction for them.

This thread was talking about 2 for 1's which can cause a home game hole in your schedule where you would need a 1 and done home game. This would mean scheduling a FCS team.

Getting dumped on home portion of a 2 for 1 deal with a bcs team is common for non-BCS D1 teams. Since it happens to so many of us, we can fill those spots, and future spots, with non-BCS D1 teams.

I'm still looking forward to the day when the BCS schools go on their merry way so we can have discussions about football and not scheduling.

Getting dumped on home portion of a 2 for 1 deal with a bcs team is common for non-BCS D1 teams. Since it happens to so many of us, we can fill those spots, and future spots, with non-BCS D1 teams.

I'm still looking forward to the day when the BCS schools go on their merry way so we can have discussions about football and not scheduling.

Most Football Bowl Subdivision (old Division IA) programs would not play at Akron without expecting a return game at their place. A new FBS team like Georgia State might, but again this pool of teams is shallow.

Why? This thread was talking about 2 for 1's which can cause a home game hole in your schedule where you would need a 1 and done home game. This would mean scheduling a FCS team. This thread was also talking about ATM games and the pro and cons. If you pass on the ATM game then you rely more on home attendance. Morgan St. type teams do not putt enough people into the seats and there is no connection with Akron. If YSU would do it, I'd book them for an Akron home opener (no away return - not allowed by MAC rules anyhow ) every other year. If they would wise up (Tressel could explain to the right people) they would accept as they covet MAC affiliation and playing this game would be a move in the right direction for them.

No desire to play YSU. We have no reason to do so. Not one good thing comes out of that game. Until they want to step up to the big leagues, forget them and let them take their once every few year beating from OSU.

No desire to play YSU. We have no reason to do so. Not one good thing comes out of that game. Until they want to step up to the big leagues, forget them and let them take their once every few year beating from OSU.

Plenty of good can come out of it. First off, it's a natural geographic rivalry, so it would be a well attended game. Secondly, it is a winnable game (we can use those). Lastly, the bragging rights can help with recruiting. Believe it or not, we have lost out on recruits to YSU.

There is a lot more good to come out of playing them than the James Madison's and VMI's of the world. Unless we lose, of course.

Plenty of good can come out of it. First off, it's a natural geographic rivalry, so it would be a well attended game. Secondly, it is a winnable game (we can use those). Lastly, the bragging rights can help with recruiting. Believe it or not, we have lost out on recruits to YSU.

There is a lot more good to come out of playing them than the James Madison's and VMI's of the world. Unless we lose, of course.

How often are we losing recruits with the current staff? YSU has sucked recently, so obviously, those recruits werent that good.

Nothing good comes out of that game. If we win, it is because we should. Losing is a huge black eye. There is no reason to schedule that game.