Definitive Story: McNees and Dials

I look forward to seeing him on the JAR floor now that the recruiting is over!**************************************************************Nick Dials Look-alike: :unsure:20060426jh_mcnees_230.jpgRecruiting: Different sports for McNees, JeterWednesday, April 26, 2006By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteSteve McNees -- High on AkronShenango High School's Steve McNees and Beaver Falls' Lance Jeter had been recruited lately by a few of the same colleges for basketball. Both made college choices in the past couple days and chose schools in Ohio. But they will play different sports.Jeter decided yesterday to play football at the University of Cincinnati, turning down a few scholarship offers for basketball.McNees made a verbal commitment Sunday to play basketball at the University of Akron. He will play point guard.Jeter (6 feet 3) will play receiver at Cincinnati. He was one of the top receivers in the WPIAL as a senior. Jeter visited Cincinnati last week and also visited Akron and George Washington for basketball.George Washington also recruited McNees recently. Akron took its first shot at landing McNees last fall, then got him on the rebound a few days ago. The Zips recruited McNees before he signed with Duquesne University. But, when Duquesne coach Danny Nee resigned at the end of the season, McNees asked Duquesne to be released from his letter of intent.McNees was granted his release, and his recruiting opened. Akron, George Washington and Rhode Island were among 10 schools that offered scholarships, and McNees visited Eastern Kentucky."The last time, it was really a tough call with Duquesne, Akron and Can't State," McNees said. "I was high on Akron all along. I really like coach [Keith] Dambrot. I think he's a great guy. There are really no negatives to the place."Akron plays in the Mid-American Conference and finished last season with a 23-10 record, the most wins for the Zips since they moved into Division I in 1980.Akron's starting point guard next season is slated to be Dru Joyce, a former teammate of LeBron James at St. Vincent-St. Mary High in Akron. Joyce is a senior, and McNees figures to vie for the starting job as a sophomore."I'll play any position just to get on the court," McNees said.