An assistant coach may be moving on

InTheZone

Well, ok, I didn't think it was really necessary to give a name being as there's been no official announcement and there might be players at home for the summer who haven't been told yet, yes, I got a call yesterday saying Jim Pry to Illinois. So going into fall camp it looks like our Zips have no QB coach. I assume JD is going to step into the role.

I have a hard time wishing someone well when they are making a lateral move like this one (does Illinois really pay their assistants more than we pay our coordinators??) but Pry was a good guy from the times I was around him so I'll go ahead and say good luck.

I have a hard time wishing someone well when they are making a lateral move like this one (does Illinois really pay their assistants more than we pay our coordinators??) but Pry was a good guy from the times I was around him so I'll go ahead and say good luck.
I'm surprised to see this. I would bet that he easily gets paid more money at Illinois than Akron.This presents an interesting problem for Akron. At this late notice, the pickings are going to be slim. JD should not pick up this responsibility and needs someone to coach this position, but could they get a qualified candidate........Didn't Coach Faust play QB at Dayton? :gun: (me shooting myself for that thought) Ahhhhhh!!!!!! I just thought of a great candidate.......Butchie Washington. He is living in the area and coaching at Ashland. He played professionally for some time in Canada and I'm certain he would find the change from Ashland to Akron to be a pay increase. He is an Akron graduate and is very popular on the high school recruiting circuit. They should make a call to him to check his interest.

Lateral move? Are you nuts??He is going to the BIG TEN. From the MAC. I know you all consider us a Big East caliber team, but we don't pay Big East money, we don't compete with Big East teams, and we certainly are not close to the level of the Big Ten.This is a very good move for Coach Pry. I wish him well.

I wouldn't call it a lateral move, but it's not a straight-up move, either. I mean, it was only a matter of time before someone like Pry moved on, but I'm a little surprised it was Illinois. No, I'm not surprised because Illinois right now is pretty awful. I'm kind of surprised because Pry seems like a coach that's heavily into recruiting, but Illinois' coach Ron Zook already does plenty well with that. In fact, that seems to be the only thing he's good at. But it's kind of silly to think about the whys of the situation. I think you have to wonder about the what nows. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Pry was heavily involved with the Zips tight ends. You can argue that the Zips' best depth (in regard to quality of player) is at tight end. I wonder if any of those guys might follow him over there? I think Illinois only has four scholarship tight ends and didn't sign any last season. Is it totally out of the realm of possibility that Jose Cruz or Merce Poindexter could transfer there? I mean, they certainly seem to have the talent to play for Illinois.But, maybe because I've been up all night, I'm being paranoid.Rasor updated his blog about what UA administration needs to do. As he likes to say: "read the blog for more."

This sucks we start building and others start taking...I know it is inevitable but damn I know we should wish him well and all that but look at the bind this puts us in. I want publicity for winning not suppling the winners....and I think moving to IU is not a lateral move because it is the Big Ten and if Zook moves on inhouse people have first dibs on the new spot.

FYI.. The salary for an assistant position coach at Illinois is right around 149 per year (non-coordinator position). I am not sure what the coordinators make at UA, but I am very doubtful that it is even close to the 100s.Don't be surprised if Coach Moorhead doesn't take over the full duties of Coach P. He was promoted to co-offensive coordinator going into this season and also is a former QB.

I agree with Rasor. It seemed that we experienced a period where things were looking up around the time when the fieldhouse construction was complete. Brookhart was hired and things began improving. Now it seems that the university is doing nothing to mantain the momentum while our MAC rivals are catching up in facilities and upping their coaches salaries. They can't afford to mess around because it will set us back for a long time. I refuse to believe that we will ever get out of the rubber bowl because they've been talking about the stadium for years and there is yet to be anything official. Meanwhile, UCF decided they wanted one, and they are getting it just like that.....along with a brand new arena too. And what about those contract negotiations?? Once again, way too much time while rival Can't jacks their bball coach to 350k. If Mack wants to earn the fans' trust and get people to games, he needs to stop messing around and get something done! :screwks:

I understand but what can we do if we don't have the money we don't have the money.....this ain't high school where you can have a car wash for some jerseys...according to people who are in the know we need millions...I understand we need to keep our coaches but we need to have elite facilities to keep elite players....this stadium need to happen and like now, there isn't gonna be a better time, after winning the conference and going to a bowl the only way it could get any better is by winning the bowl.

I agree with Rasor. It seemed that we experienced a period where things were looking up around the time when the fieldhouse construction was complete. Brookhart was hired and things began improving. Now it seems that the university is doing nothing to mantain the momentum while our MAC rivals are catching up in facilities and upping their coaches salaries. They can't afford to mess around because it will set us back for a long time. I refuse to believe that we will ever get out of the rubber bowl because they've been talking about the stadium for years and there is yet to be anything official. Meanwhile, UCF decided they wanted one, and they are getting it just like that.....along with a brand new arena too. And what about those contract negotiations?? Once again, way too much time while rival Can't jacks their bball coach to 350k. If Mack wants to earn the fans' trust and get people to games, he needs to stop messing around and get something done! :screwks:
Well saidAll this kind of reminds me of when Jim Thome was becoming a free agent. The Indians had every chance in the world to wrap up a deal before any other team could get a shot at him, but instead of doing anything they just kind of sat there. Its like they knew the fans wanted Jim, but the Indians didn't want to pay him anything, so if they wait until its too late they could just say "Oh we tried to resign him, but the Phillies just offered him too much. Don't blame us, he is the bad guy."I can already hear Mack's answer to the question "Why didn't you sign JD earlier?""Well we tried to sign him, but a BCS school just offered him too much money. Don't blame the athletic department, JD is the one who bolted for more cash."

"Well we tried to sign him, but a BCS school just offered him too much money. Don't blame the athletic department, JD is the one who bolted for more cash."
Maybe JD doesn't want to sign. Maybe JD loves it here but would never screw himself out of a bigtime coaching job somewhere else in a few years by resigning a new deal with Akron for, let's say, 25% more than he makes now...Unless of course, the contract gives JD an option to be released from the contract at any time, then he'd love the raise, but it does nothing to make us feel better.Using the earlier Thome situation as an example. Maybe Thome didn't want to re-sign with the indians. Maybe he wanted to be a free agent. Or atleast, maybe the Indians were offering him 8M/yr to re-sign, but his agent was telling him he would easily get 11M as a free agent. Why would he renogiate for the 8M. Even if he wanted to stay with Cleveland (which he obviously didn't), he knows that he could probably get 10M out of Cleveland by becoming a free agent first.

cannot figure out why they promised a new deal for the football guys in january and still have nothing done. why come out publically if you are not going to get the deal done in a four month time frame.never remember seeing anything public about a new deal for dambrot but I do know from some folks on campus that his deal was one of the lowest dollar deals in the league. I think he makes half of what Can't state's coach makes, which is a embarassment.you give a raise to the winning coaching staffs because it is the right thing to do. it also shows that the university and admnistration is committed to the winning programs and keeping them together as a group. doing this also helps you attract another coach when jd or keith one day leave for the big bucks. its not like these guys are already the highest paid coaches in the mac, they are near the bottom. by promising something and then doing nothing all you show people is that you do not reward achievement.

I realize it costs a lot of money to do what we want.But how long have we been raising funds for the stadium? Well longer than I have been around the university.And can someone tell me where Can't found the cash to fork over to JC? We like to poke fun at their small time ways, but they really showed us out on this one. You can't tell me they are that much richer than us.

I realize it costs a lot of money to do what we want.But how long have we been raising funds for the stadium? Well longer than I have been around the university.And can someone tell me where Can't found the cash to fork over to JC? We like to poke fun at their small time ways, but they really showed us out on this one. You can't tell me they are that much richer than us.
Does anyone evern know with absolute certainty what JD's financial consideration is?

I know everyone is a a little nervous about losing JD and KD to more money. But we need to relax and have faith that Mack and the administartion is getting it done. Mack said it was one of his top priorities along with the stadium deal. However, we need to remember he has been on campus for about 4 1/2 months and has already hired a women's basketball and women's swimming coach as well as a replacement for Waddell. In addition, there are now vacancies in softball and tennis. JD and KD are professionals and I'm certain the desire to keep them here has been expressed and they know they will be getting their due real soon. As for the stadium, that seems like it may be up to the fans to give it the push needed to make it happen. Increases in ticket sales, merchandise, and donations will drive the stadium proposal forward. This isn't like Field of Dreams where if they build it, they will come. We need to start coming to games for them to build it for us. To keep with the thread topic, I think it is a real honor that a Big10+1 school is plucking our assistants - even if it is only Illinois. Isn't it fair play since we are regularly plucking BCS schools of their assistants.

Maybe JD doesn't want to sign. Maybe JD loves it here but would never screw himself out of a bigtime coaching job somewhere else in a few years by resigning a new deal with Akron for, let's say, 25% more than he makes now...Unless of course, the contract gives JD an option to be released from the contract at any time, then he'd love the raise, but it does nothing to make us feel better.
If I understand this quote properly, I think we agree. Let's say JD is making $200,000 per year. A 25% raise gets him to $250,000 per year. What has that accomplished other than Akron having to put out an extra $50,000 next year for a coach that hasn't done enough to get plucked from us yet and not raise his salary enough to keep him here if a BCS school offers around $700,000 minimum?I like JD, but let's not flush money down the toilet if we don't have to do so. Can't may be flushing money down with JC. First of all, he wasn't going anywhere and his name was on absolutely no short list for any other school. Secondly, if they raised his salary $150,000 for next season and he gets a better offer after next season, the administration at Can't does not look like geniuses any longer. The financial reality is trying to bribe coaches to stay at Akron with small bribes is not going to keep them here. I'm not in favor of paying JD say $500,000 per year. It's more than Akron can afford and in the long run will sap the athletic department of necessary funds to do other things (ie: money for a new stadium).Now, why hasn't anyone picked up on my brilliant idea of paroling Butchie Washington from Division II and bringing him to Akron as the QB coach now that there is an opening?

I like the idea of getting Butchie Washington here as the QB coach. Even if he doestn turn out to be the greatest of coaches he will be a great recruiter. This could be an idea as well, Moorhead to QB coach and JD to receivers if they didnt want to hire a new coach at this point in time. It wasnt so long ago that JD was turning out receivers like Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant.

Even if he wanted to stay with Cleveland (which he obviously didn't), he knows that he could probably get 10M out of Cleveland by becoming a free agent first.
The Indians offered him something like 5 years 60+ million. He has said time and time again that he wanted to stay an Indian, but didn't want to burden them with his contract, knowing that if the Indians sign him he would be surrounded by players making 5.75 an hour. The guy practically cried durring his press conference in Philly, talking about how he wanted to retire an Indian.When JD walks, and he will. if not after this year, then next, Akron will replace him with some bargin bin coach, sending the team back into the stone age.

F the stadium right now. The foundation comes from the coaching staff. The excuse has always been that "we did not have a winner.....If we won, people will come to the games...blah blah blah". Well, wins are what is being delivered, and BTW the stadium is not near capacity (even the seats that don't have splinters).We are building a winner, the coaches and players they are bringing in are making that happen. The Ws did not come from a "home field advantage".Here is my scenario...............1- Give the coaches sick packages with revenue sharing for new venues.2- Football - Upset a BCS team, get ranked, win the MAC Championship, Nice Bowl Bid, win the Bowl game.3- Soccer - begin the season with a top 10 ranking and veteran team, finish in top 5, get a rightful seed and play for the title. (we already lost that coach, but I won't go there)4- Basketball - Begin the season in top 40, get some wins, pack the JAR, win the MAC, nice seed in the NCAAs, win a game or two.Chris Berman will be singing our praises again :bow: 5 - UA admin sees teams win = 20k avg for football = 6k avg for BBall = hmm, we do have the fan base = lets INVEST in nicer venues and properly fund these badboys. Lets publish the plans for the new stadiums.6- JD, KD, Caleb go to recruits content, excited and get top players.For the fiscally responsible people here, lets look at it this way....Stadium cost 70+ million with interest vs. Coach raises at $500K (heck, lets be stupid and give em' a package worth a mill).