Annual East vs West Thread

MaxZIP

I am going to preface this by acknowledging that Akron is having a down year....But the early hype surrounding Western teams is an annual event. This was a pretty good weekend for East teams. Miami even had a road win. We will just have to wait and see how the renovation/reload chips fall for Akron and Ohio. The door is open for the West but can they take advantage?

Edit: I still think the guys will turn it around in MAC play.

Let me just say this....

I hope last night's close game in Muncie between maybe the worst team in the West and one of the best teams in the East is not indicative of the relative strength of the two sides of the conference.

Right now the Zips are not one of the best in he East. They may become a front runner but the current level of play puts them in the middle of the pack.

Right now the Zips are not one of the best in he East. They may become a front runner but the current level of play puts them in the middle of the pack.

I should have added the word "projected" to my post.

Playing the way we did against a poor West team (projected) should be alarming to everyone. Keith has his work cut out for him. And I'll keep saying this phrase: "Lack Of Focus"

• 2 weeks later...

There was much talk about the MAC being better this year and I suppose overall that it is. It seems though that almost all of this improvement has come in the west. Almost top to bottom the west is vastly tougher than it has been in many a moon. Even the bottom feeders like Ball and NIU have been competing. C Mich appears to be the only team over there that has not made at least a modest move forward. An argument can be made that the East is actually weaker and I buy into that. Can't has been on a giant free fall after a promising start. Us and OU have been inconsistent. Miami has improved but only marginally. BG will be BG until Louie gets fired. They seem to be exactly the same, year after year.

Keith has been saying for years that very little separates the top from the bottom in this conference. I never really bought into that but this year he's spot on. Anybody can be beat on any given night in this seasons MAC

Forgot about this thread, I had posted something on this topic in the EMU thread but even with the two wins last night the West is still only 13-6 against the East (but the only West team without an East victory is CMU - careful Zips). The more things change ...

One other thing I noticed when looking at the standings was that of the 33 conferences only three (the MAC, Big South and OVC) still divide their basketball standings into two separate divisions. Even the monster 15 team ACC doesn't do that. Maybe with the new scheduling format it might be time to end it since divisons no longer matter in the MACC tournament seeding. What that would mean is that you would get 7 teams twice and four teams once which is exactly how it is now except the four are always from the opposite division. I think it is time to end the divisional format for basketball.

For the past decade, the MAC West was lobbying against eliminating divisions because that meant eliminating divisional championships, which were often the only thing they could sell recruits on in terms of actually winning something. They essentially lost the battle once the MAC stopped granting the top two tournament seeds to the divisional champions, because now the divisions are meaningless. Another year or two, and they'll be gone completely.

I was a tad surprised by that number. A huge turnaround when you consider that by my count the East went 24-12 vs the West last season. I'm guessing that the east enjoyed similar results going back much further than that season as well.

To be clear, that wasn't the I should have stated it. The East has won 13 games againt the West this year while the West has only won 6. Sorry for any confusion.

Forgot about this thread, I had posted something on this topic in the EMU thread but even with the two wins last night the West is still only 13-6 against the East (but the only West team without an East victory is CMU - careful Zips). The more things change ...

One other thing I noticed when looking at the standings was that of the 33 conferences only three (the MAC, Big South and OVC) still divide their basketball standings into two separate divisions. Even the monster 15 team ACC doesn't do that. Maybe with the new scheduling format it might be time to end it since divisons no longer matter in the MACC tournament seeding. What that would mean is that you would get 7 teams twice and four teams once which is exactly how it is now except the four are always from the opposite division. I think it is time to end the divisional format for basketball.

I'm sure teams still like to proclaim themselves as MAC East or MAC West champs. One example is our girls team last year. Without that, they would not have had any "championship" to claim for their efforts, since they lost the MAC tourney.

Other than that, I can't think of any benefit.

Massive choke job by the Eagles. Lose to OU in the last minute of play after being up by 12 with 11 to play.

This result was not exactly a feather in Rob Murphy's coaching cap. What is up with him burning timeouts like he does, forcing his team to play the last 4 or 5 minutes of a game without any? Horrible game management.

Can't State playing at Toledo right now. The Toledo stream is excellent. Savage Hall looks great.

Go Rockets!

Rockets up 37-36 at the half. Stream is solid and announcers are pretty good. Minor league score/time banner. Looks nice but score is slow to update and time is manually set to whole minutes left in the half (no running time). Weird.