Zips @ Ken+

Dr Z

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Can't did do a good job of closing out. Some nights we don't make our 3 pointers but on this night we had a tough time of even getting one off that wasn't forced over a defender.

I think this is another great point about the way we were defended. They really did take away our 3-point opportunities. I think Kretzer and McAdams had something like 5 attempts collectively all night? That's a great job. And that probably explains why we were forcing things a little more in the paint.

I have another thought this morning. I see some complaining about taking shots too early in the shot clock. With a team that turns the ball over as much as we do, wouldn't you rather see any open shot attempt as opposed to an empty possession more often?

"Tree was huge again, but nobody was there to help on this night. "

You have to be joking.

Nope, you tell me . Diggs was Ok but were you really impressed with anybody other than Tree's game last night? I was there but had a couple of drinks under my belt so perhaps I missed it. I do hope that you can clear that up for me. TIA

Nope, you tell me . Diggs was Ok but were you really impressed with anybody other than Tree's game last night? I was there but had a couple of drinks under my belt so perhaps I missed it. I do hope that you can clear that up for me. TIA

I'd rather not. You can check the box scores yourself. I just find it comical.

When I looked at the stats, 2 stats really stuck out. First, Can't had 11 steals to our 2 steals. I thought they were scrappier and played with more intensity. Tree had 5 turnovers. On a couple of occssions after the ball was stolen he would trot back on defense. He played a very tough game but he has to learn not to get frustrated. His intensity seems to turn into frustration very quickly. Did not see that last year where he just seemed to be a happier player.

The other stat that stuck out was that Kretzer played 36 minutes and did not score with only 2 shots and no points. Pat did not play much but did not do anything when he was in there except give the ball away on a terrible play with Evens. All he had to do was hand the ball to Evens but under pressure he turned the ball over for 2 easy Can't points.

We really cannot complain about the prayer bank 3 pointer. Lets remember the bullet pass Carmelo threw at the ref who was out of bounds, that hit his leg and then rebounded to Mcadams for an easy basket. The basketball Gods givith and taketh.

Finally, has anyone seen Ibitayo recently?

Did it have an impact on the remainder of the game?

It should have. When the Can't players disrupted Akron's huddle (intentionally, to talk smack), a technical should have been called, giving Akron a free throw and the ball on our end of the court with 1.6 seconds left.

There is no interpretation of the rules where that should not be considered a technical foul.

complaining about them not getting a technical at the end of the game is a lame way to try to place the blame on others rather than take it for ourselves. That Can't team is the worst (by far) I've seen in my 5 seasons following the rivalry. We laid the egg.

Tree had 5 turnovers. On a couple of occssions after the ball was stolen he would trot back on defense. He played a very tough game but he has to learn not to get frustrated. His intensity seems to turn into frustration very quickly. Did not see that last year where he just seemed to be a happier player.

The other stat that stuck out was that Kretzer played 36 minutes and did not score with only 2 shots and no points. Pat did not play much but did not do anything when he was in there except give the ball away on a terrible play with Evens. All he had to do was hand the ball to Evens but under pressure he turned the ball over for 2 easy Can't points.

Emotional players, like Tree, tend to get emotional to both extremes. He's done that many times. It apparently nearly ended his career after the MTSU game. It may not be something that's ever going to change at this juncture of his career.

In addition to Pat's botched pass to Evens, you may have missed his slow and telegraphed attempt at a two-step dunk? That's about the only two things I saw him do, and I never saw him on the floor again. As I said yesterday, there just wasn't really a place for him to contribute in a game that had a ton of athletes flying and jumping all over the court.

At the risk of completely blowing my "stats guy" image, I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the stats for this game. I could see as the game unfolded that the Can't players were high on something and the Zips were laid back. Can't came into this game determined to slay the mighty Zips, and the mighty Zips appeared to play a normal MAC game against a team they were supposed to beat. The only positive way to look at this game is that it should be a wake up call. Any MAC team with a similar talent level to Can't could do the same to the Zips in any given game. The Zips are not good enough to dominate the MAC unless they bring their best to each game. Half-hearted efforts will yield half-assed results.

Those officials let a lot of easy calls slip on both ends. But they tried to make up for it by calling hand checks outside the arc or early in the 2nd half. There were a few travels on Can't's end that weren't called, especially the one on Heninger's one post move.

I agree that KD took this game lightly in the post game interview with French because it's easy to figure out what went wrong in this game and with where Can't is in the standings, we know we should be ready for them when they come to the JAR. Also if we win the next 2 games on our schedule, our confidence is right back up. If Nyles and Reggie could get out of their shooting slumps, we should be alright. We brought our A game to beat Ohio, we can do that again to beat Can't next time.

In the past 5 seasons, we have shown we have had trouble with Buffalo, we have to keep our head up for them as well. But in the past 5 years, KD certainly has gotten his team ready for the MAC Tournament. We shoot the ball better, we turn the ball over less, we don't commit dumb fouls, and our free throw shooting improves. Just a lot more focus on the court by that time. The Can't loss was more of a mental loss than anything. However I will say that there hasn't been much leadership on this years team than the past few years. That does make a difference.