MAC Predictions - 2014

johnnyzip84

That game last year the Zips quit. No question about it. 2-2 OOC can and will be done. I actually see 3-1, assuming that Marshall and Pitt is not as good as people think.

This will be the season that people around the country will know what a Zip is and the Lady will stand tall! :champs:

• Like 1

That game last year the Zips quit. No question about it. 2-2 OOC can and will be done. I actually see 3-1, assuming that Marshall and Pitt is not as good as people think.

This will be the season that people around the country will know what a Zip is and the Lady will stand tall! :champs:

The Lady will stand tall and the Tidal Basin will flow.

True PSU is feeling the pain of the bowl ban. However, Franklin has brought a renewed sense of energy and optimism to that program. They are knocking it out of the ball park in recruiting right now. Sure, that that doesn't matter for this next season, but the confidence is returning in Happy Valley and their stud QB has a year under his belt now too.

This is all true and I completely agree Buck, I'm just saying out of the last four year's "Big Opponent", Penn State seems the best opportunity to get that marquee win over a Big-10 team, because of everything...a "perfect storm" situation if you will. We of course are still the underdog, but this is a good opportunity.

Lance I agree with you...I can see 3-1 myself too. That's more of a miracle situation but I do see it as possible. More possible than last year at least.

Now last year I don't think the quit, more ran out of gas. But I want to paint this for everyone: We could have been 3-1 in OOC last year. ULL should have been a win and Michigan also, frankly, should have been. We could have been 3-1 last year, there is absolutely no reason why we can't be this year.

• Like 1

As far as other expectations: I want to see a healthy KP16 and a more dynamic offense. The playbook had been "dumbed down" last year...I want to see the full playbook this year, better execution from the running game as well. Anything less than a 7-5 season I'd consider a bad season. I would also like to see a MAC record of 5-3 or greater. UMASS, MIAMI, EMU get's us over half way to that goal, so we should be good.

True PSU is feeling the pain of the bowl ban. However, Franklin has brought a renewed sense of energy and optimism to that program. They are knocking it out of the ball park in recruiting right now. Sure, that that doesn't matter for this next season, but the confidence is returning in Happy Valley and their stud QB has a year under his belt now too.

PSU has had the one thing going for them the past two seasons that can't be replaced or measured. The players have played with as much focus, heart and desire as anyone could expect considering the hand they were dealt. They could have easily folded last season and won a road game against future Rose Bowl Champion, Wisconsin, in the last game.

O'Brien couldn't have done a better job with that program, all things considered. Like you said, Franklin will be able to continue on with a much better hand dealt to him than one might have expected him to receive. PSU improved from the beginning of 2012 until the end of last season. Franklin is the right guy to take over at this point and PSU will be even better next season. They won't have a let down against the Zips.

If anyone is looking for an early season upset for the Zips, Pitt is the team to look at. Pitt rarely stinks...they are also rarely good. It is a program that has historically been slightly below average to above average depending on the season. They rarely have a lot of cohesion or traction. This is a team a program like Akron can sneak up on early in the season and produce an upset. I hate to even use the word upset because when this type of win happens, the idea of "upset" is more illusion than reality. The Zips didn't upset NC State, they beat a well below average team on the field.

Pitt plays four games (schedule) prior to playing the Zips. They could be 4-0 coming into the Akron game and that spells trouble for Akron because of the confidence and momentum of a 4-0 start. I could also see a 2-2 start for Pitt with a loss to Iowa the week before the Akron game. I like the Zips chances if this happens because a 2-2 start means there half the stadium will be empty and their fans and team will already be disinterested in the rest of the season...this happens to Pitt a lot. It's really hard to predict this game because Pitt is a predictably average team and average teams are the hardest to predict because....well,....their performances are unpredictable. The unpredictability makes it more likely to beat them.

PSU has had the one thing going for them the past two seasons that can't be replaced or measured. The players have played with as much focus, heart and desire as anyone could expect considering the hand they were dealt. They could have easily folded last season and won a road game against future Rose Bowl Champion, Wisconsin, in the last game.

You of all people, followers of the South Carolina Gamecocks, should know that Wisconsin (9-4) lost to the Gamecocks in the Florida Citrus Bowl last season.

You of all people, followers of the South Carolina Gamecocks, should know that Wisconsin (9-4) lost to the Gamecocks in the Florida Citrus Bowl last season.

OH! You're right. My memory is failing me in my old age.

@Zach That's what I've been trying to say...this is the BEST opportunity to sneak a win against a BIG team. New coach, sleeper between two bigger "more important games"...they have to return from London, while we have 2 more days of preparation after a win. PERFECT!! :cheers:

Against my best judgment I picked up one of those College Football rags today at the store...I was interested to see how their reporting on the MAC was, and I have to say it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. It's Lindy's Sports College Football national edition if you want to pick it up and read for yourself. A few excerpts from it:

They have Akron ranked No. 89 overall nationwide. Description/analysis of the team was spot-on. ALL-MAC team predictions: 1st team Zach Paul, 2nd Team Cody Grice and Justin March. They pick the MAC as follows:

East: 1. BGSU, 2. Akron, 3. Buffalo, 4. Ohio, 5. Can't, 6. Miami, 7. UMass
West: 1. NIU, 2. Ball St., 3. Toledo, 4. CMU, 5. WMU, 6. EMU

The defense is better than advertise and the closing schedule is soft. Terry Bowen will get his team to six wins in November...exactly how many more depends on the rise of playmakers on offense.

I appreciate the confidence that many people have in the Zips & their quest to upset the Nits, but I just don't see it happening for one reason: Christian Hackenberg. If PSU had one of the average QBs of their past, I might buy into the upset. Hopefully I am wrong.

As far as the Lindy's preview, I agree that the Zips have a pretty weak MAC schedule & I do believe the east comes down to BG and the Zips. Hopefully they pull off the upset with the Falcons & I will see you in Detroit.

I do not agree with the All-MAC prediction. JB53 is the best LB in the league. Also think that NC11 shows up on an All-MAC team as well.

I agree with that Keener. They have first team LBs: Ike Spearman (EMU), Gabe Martin (BG), DJ Lynch (BG), Jamaal Bass (NIU). But like mock drafts...I don't put stock in "All-Team" predictions. They're useless.

I do agree with Hackenburg comment...however two things we need to exploit: PSU lacks depth at the LB position, and there were several injuries in spring to the OL

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/pennstate/across-the-pond-and-out-of-routine-franklin-weighs-impact/article_99a214aa-e3a5-11e3-a043-001a4bcf6878.html

He was asked flat-out, during the Penn State Coaches Caravan stop in Bethlehem on Wednesday, if he liked the idea.

“No,” he said.

If you know anything about Franklin, you know that one word wasn’t enough.

“I’m a big fan of (Ireland), a big fan that our fans are excited about it,’’ he said. “But from a coaching perspective, no.’’

Football coaches are, of course, obsessive about structure and order, detail and habit. The first game of Franklin’s PSU tenure being played on the far side of the Atlantic Ocean seems custom-designed to drive him nuts.

“Everything we do is about eliminating distractions and (having) consistency in your routine,’’ he said. “I wouldn’t necessarily say flying to another country fits that.’’

Logistical issues abound.

The game, with Central Florida, will be played Aug. 30 at Croke Park in Dublin. The Lions will arrive mid-week. There will of course be tourist fun and social obligations. Not exactly a normal game week, for the very first game week of the Franklin Era.

But that game isn’t even the biggest issue. It’s more about the following week’s game, with Akron Sept. 6 at Beaver Stadium.

Penn State plans to fly home as soon as possible after the Dublin game. Franklin intends to conduct a light practice Sundays after games, which is rare but not unprecedented for college teams.

In fact, he intends to practice that Sunday, Aug. 31. Franklin gives his players Mondays off, followed by a full-blown practice on Tuesday, which is also the first day of fall-semester classes.

“(We’ll) have to get adjusted to the time zones and all those types of things when we probably just got adjusted to their time zone (in Ireland),’’ Franklin said.“Couldn’t we have done it on a Thursday night to open the season?’’

It’s not a bad question.

You conveniently skipped the point, which is that the commitment to facilities has helped them significantly improve their recruiting in each of the past two years. As for Solich having no energy, you couldn't be more wrong. He's a heck of a lot more vibrant and physically fit than much younger coaches, certainly including Mr. Bowden. Scoreboard - 42-3 last year?

I like Frank and I think he has done a great job, but his pacing on the sideline always reminds me of Tim Conway's oldest man character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOwmSbD20aQ

Balsy Prediction: (and it is a little Ballsy)

East: Akron, BGSU, Ohio, Buffalo, Can't, Miami, UMass

West: Ball St., NIU, CMU, Toledo, WMU, EMU

I do believe Ball St. and BGSU are the best teams in the MAC going into the season. But in the MAC, anything can happen. GO ZIPS!!

I agree with most on the East predictions that Akron will be in the top 3. I have no clue what to expect out of the west. I expect NIU and Ball St to be down (compared to last season). You can never count Toledo out. CMU may take the next step, and hell even WMU may surprise with all of that talent they are bringing in.

Paul Myerberg's USA Today countdown entry for Akron should be tomorrow, with the Zips coming in at #94.

Maybe we should just stick to where the Zips will finish in the MAC East and not the depressingly low numbers we are portrayed at in national rankings....

I disagree with this:

I just do not see 1-3

I could see it happening but certainly hoping it doesn't. That's a tough OOC schedule. But I found the preview to be pretty straightforward, honest and accurate with a definite element of hope to it. I thought it was well done.

Myerberg is one of the best when it comes to these pre-season write-ups, though I think he's giving a little too much credit to Marshall being an automatic loss. We're actually their toughest road game, and they're a bad road team. They play such a laughably awful schedule that they could get 10 wins and still be considered in the bottom third of the FBS.