9100 Attendance

a-zip

I still don't know why we can't start the MAC Schedule with Can't. Even if both teams are terrible good weather has a better chance of getting people to show up for the game. I thought when we did that in the mid 2000s the attendance results were great but then they sent it to the end of the year again. Unless both teams are battling for the MAC East Title you're bound to have one set of fans sitting at home not attending.

Then I would answer "yes."

Funny, I almost suggested that in the previous post for the "sheep." :D

A bartender at the Winking Lizard in Montrose said that if Tressel came back to coach Akron and with the return of LBJ to the Cavs, it could mean a 10,000 increase in UofA football attendance and a $500,000,000 boost to the local economy.

I hope I didn't just scoop the local media.

Whats make you think they will be gone?

Mark my words. Bowden is here to stay. (not sold on Amato) but Bowden, this is his last gig.

I still don't know why we can't start the MAC Schedule with Can't. Even if both teams are terrible good weather has a better chance of getting people to show up for the game. I thought when we did that in the mid 2000s the attendance results were great but then they sent it to the end of the year again. Unless both teams are battling for the MAC East Title you're bound to have one set of fans sitting at home not attending.

+1. I always thought we could get 20k (actual attendance) at Infocision for a game against Can't if it's early enough in the season. The MAC makes no sense to me. BIG Rivalry games make more sense to me early in the season because they're literally at the point of the year that they can make or break a season.

He's not so old that it's not practical for him to take on another rebuilding project at a big school.

Here is a timely PD article from Terry Pluto.

Only one of those 1-11 seasons belonged to Bowden, who was hired in 2012.

"I've been through a lot," he said. "But that was toughest time that I've ever experienced as coach."

He is no longer a young man looking for the next big opportunity.

"No matter what I do, I'll always be a distant second in my coaching family," said the son of Bobby Bowden, the legendary coach of Florida State.

Bowden talks about "building something" at Akron.

• Like 1

Bowden is on the verge of having the same comfort level as Dambrot. There is no reason for him to leave. Some on this board need to stop clutching their pearls like old ladies.

I've said this before, but the only place that I believe has any unique appeal for him would be his Alma Mater. It looks like Holgorsen might have things straightened out a bit, so hopefully that potential opportunity is subsiding. Besides, WVU would probably consider another alum (Marshall HC Doc Holliday) first.

• Like 1

He could have more money, more limelight, a bigger fan base...several reasons to leave. In the post-Pitt press conference he used the language "married to Akron...it's a good situation" but I wouldn't read too much into one sound bite. The bobcatattack fellers "know" he'll be gone after 1 or 2 winning seasons / bowl games here.

He could have more money and more limelight...a couple of reasons to leave. In the post-Pitt press conference he used the language "married to Akron...it's a good situation" but I wouldn't read too much into one sound bite. The bobcatattack fellers "know" he'll be gone after 1 or 2 winning seasons / bowl games here.

I saw that on their forms this morning and and that is fear all the way by them on that site.

Here is a timely PD article from Terry Pluto.

Also from the article:

When Bowden took the Akron job, there were rumors that he was going to only stay a few years, win some games -- and then leave for something better.

"I heard that," he said.

Then he started to laugh.

"You know what happened to the last five coaches before me?" he asked. "They got fired. How about we start to win and stay? How about we just worry about starting to win some games."

• Like 1

The reasons to stay with Akron are numerous. We have him now, and we really haven't proven anything yet with him...but I'll go ahead and float it since we're on this discussion.

1. Akron's never had a season above 8-wins

2. Akron hasn't been to a bowl game since 2005

3. Akron has never been ranked

4. Akron has never been undefeated

5. Bowden built the program to the way it is with the help of a friend who is no longer with us.

At just which level does a coach evaluate success? Bowden has already coached at the highest levels of College football (successfully). He has rebuilt program after program to get back into D-I football, and now he has with Akron.

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I don't see Bowden leaving until he has really established something. He's a competitive guy who wants to win. Does he want to be remembered as the Coach who got kicked out of the highest ranks of college football, only to rebuild programs people have never heard of over-and-over again, or does he want to be the coach that made the worst program in college football into a powerhouse.

Bowden could be our Bob Pruett, the coach at Marshall who had all those great teams. Coached nine years before his retirement. If we get nine out of Bowden, I'll be more than happy if he brings the success many of us believe he will.

Bowden is 58. I could see us getting 8-10 more years out of him.

I would love to see this notion of him staying for the longterm.....it is way too premature to discuss such a scenario.....but there is absolutely no way he stays here if he makes a run of two, three seasons like this year (assuming they finish strong.)

Sorry folks, if he can find the stability with a bigger program and double the pay, he takes it. There is no reason for him not too. His family is not hurting for money, but $600k-$1m per year is something Akron doesn't have the purse strings for and would be nearly absurd to turn down. There is no way I would blame him. If I get offered 10-15% more at my current job, I am jumping ship.

I would love to see this notion of him staying for the longterm.....it is way too premature to discuss such a scenario.....but there is absolutely no way he stays here if he makes a run of two, three seasons like this year (assuming they finish strong.)

Sorry folks, if he can find the stability with a bigger program and double the pay, he takes it. There is no reason for him not too. His family is not hurting for money, but $600k-$1m per year is something Akron doesn't have the purse strings for and would be nearly absurd to turn down. There is no way I would blame him. If I get offered 10-15% more at my current job, I am jumping ship.

Bowden doesn't need the money. His entire family is loaded. Besides, if he stays at Akron for another 10 years he will make probably 4 or 5 million dollars over that time. When is enough, enough for someone with his family worth? I can see him giving up the extra few million for a better quality of life. I surely would.

Bowden doesn't need the money. His entire family is loaded. Besides, if he stays at Akron for another 10 years he will make probably 4 or 5 million dollars over that time. When is enough, enough for someone with his family worth? I can see him giving up the extra few million for a better quality of life. I surely would.

I would say money is secondary but it is important…sorry but you most people don't live their lives to inherit family money….certainly not someone like TB. Ego is involved here and how about coaching in a community that actually gives a crap about what you are doing…..

I would say money is secondary but it is important…sorry but you most people don't live their lives to inherit family money….certainly not someone like TB. Ego is involved here and how about coaching in a community that actually gives a crap about what you are doing…..

How do you know Bowden doesn't take his family wealth into consideration when determining what job will make his life happier? Nobody says that he is living his life just to inherit family money, but I also think that it is unfair to say that Bowden is going to leave because of ego and a larger paycheck elsewhere.

He has the luxury that many other coaches dont have....family wealth. He doesn't "have" to chase a paycheck.

How do you know Bowden doesn't take his family wealth into consideration when determining what job will make his life happier? Nobody says that he is living his life just to inherit family money, but I also think that it is unfair to say that Bowden is going to leave because of ego and a larger paycheck elsewhere.

He has the luxury that many other coaches dont have....family wealth. He doesn't "have" to chase a paycheck.

Let me ask the question a different way…..Why would he stay if nobody cared or showed an interest in a winning program (except for 9100 people) - put the money aside for a second. No, he doesn't have to "chase a paycheck" but I am quite sure he wants to accomplish things that will be recognized and appreciated.

There has been every excuse in the world given on this board for the poor attendance and support - OSU conflicts, Thursday games, bad weather, splintering seats at the RB, Cleveland loser mentality, HS fball conflicts, multiple terrible seasons, iCoach, etc etc. We are 8-3 in our last 11 games, we have a beautiful stadium, we almost beat Michigan at the big house, good showing against Penn State, beat Pitt and the weather has been great. THERE HAS NOT BEEN A SINGLE BOOST IN ATTENDANCE!!!!

I genuinely think everyone on this board actually cares BUT it blows my mind that with the population that surrounds Akron…..we cannot get at least 20K to a game at this point. 20K IS NOT A LOT!!!!

Use LBJ as an example. Do you think he needs money? Why do you think he left? I am sure he won't publicly admit it but I guarantee you he wanted to get away from the pathetic woe is me attitude. He has his rings now, HE does not need money and Akron is his home so he is back. Makes sense I guess. I don't see TB having the same deep rooted loyalty.

On the flip side you could say how bout you be the coach who makes a community care about a program.

Bobby made people care about FSU. A seemingly easier task than making people care about Akron.