UA rebranding

Is SS holding the que cards beside the camera?

Finally had a chance to sit through this video. While the content is interesting, the person talking to Randy Best is even more so. That would be Dr. Clayton M. Christensen, currently the Kim B. Clark Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School. He bills himself on his website as "the architect of and the world's foremost authority on disruptive innovation," on which he has a series of books and lectures. He also serves as a senior adviser to Academic Partnerships.

Searching for explanations of disruptive innovation produces many hits. A story in The New Yorker entitled When Giants Fail does a good job of describing Christensen's theory. The New Yorker also published a counterpoint story, ironically written by another Harvard professor -- Jill Lepore, the David Woods Kemper ’41 Professor of American History at Harvard University and Affiliated Faculty at the Harvard Law School. In her story entitled The Disruption Machine she uses her expertise in the field of history to counter some of Christensen's claims. Both stories are long but well worth a read. I found some of the following from Lepore's story to be especially interesting:

... Christensen has co-written books urging disruptive innovation in higher education (“The Innovative University”), public schools (“Disrupting Class”), and health care (“The Innovator’s Prescription”). His acolytes and imitators, including no small number of hucksters, have called for the disruption of more or less everything else. ...

... Most big ideas have loud critics. Not disruption. Disruptive innovation as the explanation for how change happens has been subject to little serious criticism, partly because it’s headlong, while critical inquiry is unhurried; partly because disrupters ridicule doubters by charging them with fogyism, as if to criticize a theory of change were identical to decrying change; and partly because, in its modern usage, innovation is the idea of progress jammed into a criticism-proof jack-in-the-box. ...

... The idea of innovation is the idea of progress stripped of the aspirations of the Enlightenment, scrubbed clean of the horrors of the twentieth century, and relieved of its critics. Disruptive innovation goes further, holding out the hope of salvation against the very damnation it describes: disrupt, and you will be saved. ...

... The theory of disruption is meant to be predictive. On March 10, 2000, Christensen launched a $3.8-million Disruptive Growth Fund, which he managed with Neil Eisner, a broker in St. Louis. Christensen drew on his theory to select stocks. Less than a year later, the fund was quietly liquidated: during a stretch of time when the Nasdaq lost fifty per cent of its value, the Disruptive Growth Fund lost sixty-four per cent. In 2007, Christensen told Business Week that “the prediction of the theory would be that Apple won’t succeed with the iPhone,” adding, “History speaks pretty loudly on that.” In its first five years, the iPhone generated a hundred and fifty billion dollars of revenue. ...

... Disruptive innovation as an explanation for how change happens is everywhere. Ideas that come from business schools are exceptionally well marketed. Faith in disruption is the best illustration, and the worst case, of a larger historical transformation having to do with secularization, and what happens when the invisible hand replaces the hand of God as explanation and justification. Innovation and disruption are ideas that originated in the arena of business but which have since been applied to arenas whose values and goals are remote from the values and goals of business. People aren’t disk drives. Public schools, colleges and universities, churches, museums, and many hospitals, all of which have been subjected to disruptive innovation, have revenues and expenses and infrastructures, but they aren’t industries in the same way that manufacturers of hard-disk drives or truck engines or drygoods are industries. Journalism isn’t an industry in that sense, either.

Doctors have obligations to their patients, teachers to their students, pastors to their congregations, curators to the public, and journalists to their readers—obligations that lie outside the realm of earnings, and are fundamentally different from the obligations that a business executive has to employees, partners, and investors. Historically, institutions like museums, hospitals, schools, and universities have been supported by patronage, donations made by individuals or funding from church or state. The press has generally supported itself by charging subscribers and selling advertising. (Underwriting by corporations and foundations is a funding source of more recent vintage.) Charging for admission, membership, subscriptions and, for some, earning profits are similarities these institutions have with businesses. Still, that doesn’t make them industries, which turn things into commodities and sell them for gain. ...

Some well-known and reputable universities offering online degrees:

http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/bachelors/rankings?int=999208

Which takes it back to my post on the topic with the question- What is UA going to do to make an online degree candidate choose UA instead of some much more well known and reputable university?

Which takes it back to my post on the topic with the question- What is UA going to do to make an online degree candidate choose UA instead of some much more well known and reputable university?

Get on this list and try to compete for the #34 (Ball State) to #40 (Malone) range. I mean if they can do it.........

A polytechnic university is a university that “educates students in the application of science and the arts and uses technology to connect higher education to business and industry.”

Keep in mind that the U.S. News & World Report ratings are based on self-reporting. That is, schools are sent a questionnaire with blanks to fill in and the ratings are calculated on a formula weighting responses by percentages of importance. So it's not a truly objective and comprehensive study of who's doing the best job of actually teaching students in a cost-effective manner. As such I didn't spend a lot of time closely examining all the results. I did look for OU's ranking as they're a fellow MAC school in Ohio that signed up with Academic Partnerships in 2008. But OU apparently didn't respond to the study as all of their rankings are marked N/A. Many other schools also apparently didn't elect to respond as many schools show N/A in all categories.

• 1 month later...

Let's see what Karen has for us today, shall we?

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/08/university_of_akron_may_one_da.html

"While the University of Akron means something to those in Summit and the five contiguous counties, that brand falls off really dramatically" outside that area, he said.

Yeah, to the extent that almost any reference to UA from outside of Ohio is "The University of Akron in Ohio".

No way! I took Scar at his word when he said the name change was off the board.

I can see the presser now. . .Scar at the podium with the branded logo behind him. . .

wordmark-with-polytechnic2.png

As he begins his presentation, the left side of the logo begins to fade, the right side of the logo enlarges and centers itself. Once centered, the apostrophe ess fades to white and the typeface of the remaining words morphs into the new logo for Ohio Polytechnic University.

It will be a sad day.

No way! I took Scar at his word when he said the name change was off the board.

I can see the presser now. . .Scar at the podium with the branded logo behind him. . .

wordmark-with-polytechnic2.png

As he begins his presentation, the left side of the logo begins to fade, the right side of the logo enlarges and centers itself. Once centered, the apostrophe ess fades to white and the typeface of the remaining words morphs into the new logo for Ohio Polytechnic University.

It will be a sad day.

You know, there's been a solid group of Alumni, current students, Faculty and staff whom have been saying this all along...asking for our pathetic alumni base to stand in opposition to Scarborough. I believe you've mocked them (us) a couple of times.

The name change/rebranding was enough of a reason for me to oppose him. The way he's treated us Alumni and current students as if we're children who should be ignored, was the final straw.

You know, there's been a solid group of Alumni, current students, Faculty and staff whom have been saying this all along...asking for our pathetic alumni base to stand in opposition to Scarborough. I believe you've mocked them (us) a couple of times.

The name change/rebranding was enough of a reason for me to oppose him. The way he's treated us Alumni and current students as if we're children who should be ignored, was the final straw.

I believe I have been steadfast in my opposition to the name change and as far as I can remember I don't think I have ever come out in support of Scarborough.

Methinks you may be mixing my mockeries in your mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see the top of the seal but I assume our new legal name being floated is The Ohio Institute of Technology and the Arts. Whahappen to Polytechnic?

What a farce.

I wish this was an overreaction. It is not. Scarborough will try once again in January to push for a name change.

And when it comes we will see just how much our alumni "give a damn" about our university. If this forum is any picture, it looks like a lot are willing to role over and let anything happen to THE University of Akron.

• Like 1

And when it comes we will see just how much our alumni "give a damn" about our university. If this forum is any picture, it looks like a lot are willing to role over and let anything happen to THE University of Akron.

I just hope that when they change the name of the institution they also change the athletic nickname to better reflect the alumni attitude.

Ohio Tech Excuse Makers.

Or actually maybe some of us agree with the name change. That is not rolling over.

Sounds like the words of a modern politician: "We are the party of patriots and the other party is full of traitors."