2016 recruiting

From the ABJ: "University of Akron men's soccer: Zips' 2016 recruiting class ranked No. 2 in the country according to TopDrawerSoccer."

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-men-s-soccer-zips-2016-recruiting-class-ranked-no-2-in-country-according-to-topdrawersoccer-com-includes-area-players-alex-mapp-jackson-crawford-1.660565

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Jeremy Pollard looks big, agile, and clean with both feet.  

Given the nature of Australian Rules Football, can one safely assume that Pollard can punt the ball very well?

I believe he does some punting late in 3rd video (16 years old) above, around 14:20.

Looking forward to seeing him in action this Spring.

Edited by Zip_ME87

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On Tuesday, March 08, 2016 at 8:23 AM, TennZip said:

nice photo of Jonathan Lewis....that was posted to zips mens soccer twitter.

Welcome to Akron, Jonathan....Looking forward  to watching you at Cub Cadet Field in the fall.

lewis.jpg

He's now property of Seattle Sounders Academy.  how long did he spend in WA?  Well, whatever...;)

On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 at 11:23 AM, fknbuflobo said:

F  Bianca Owens:

Scored 94 goals in 2013-2014 season.   What?!?!?!?

http://www.gozips.com/sports/wsoc/2015-16/releases/20160213000c19

That's an exaggeration!  She only had 92, per this story!    http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/bianca-helps-middlesbrough-college-girls-9115498

I'm trying to remember the name of the Central-Hower player who came to UA around 1980.  I think he scored over 100 goals in one year, but that was the first year Ohio HSs were more or less mandated to have boys soccer teams, and I think for example, he scored 12 goals in a 20-0 win over Coventry!  Genius Bob Dowdy immediately moved him to CB!  He went on to play for the Canton Invaders in the "other indoor league".  Come on fknbuflobo, tell us his name!  ;)

Edited by Z.I.P.

Steve Fricke was a really tough customer years ago, even at age ~40.

I know this personally.

For all I know, he is playing amateur leagues still.  Some guys can just play until they drop.

Last I heard he was a fireman out in Portage County somewhere.  Good guy; bad adversary.

• Like 1

Best of luck to Jesse!  Good kid.  Had many chances to impress, but did not.  Definitely D1 material, but not a starter for Zips.  He will play 90 minutes every match for OSU. 

Mine is an admittedly arrogant perspective, but I think accurate nonetheless.  Incoming MFs are more productive than Garcia.  Everyone recognizes this.

congratulations  and best wishes to Emmanuel Sabbi in the upcoming u-20 games

U.S. U-20 MNT Gordon Jago Super Group A Schedule:
March 20 
U-20 MNT vs. CF Monterrey Rayados 
Cotton Bowl at 6:30 p.m. CT

March 21
U-20 MNT vs. Fulham FC
Richland College at 4 p.m. CT

March 23
U-20 MNT vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 
TBD

ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (University of California; Newport Beach, Calif.), James Marcinkowski (Georgetown; Alamo, Calif.)
DEFENDERS (8): Marcello Borges (Michigan; Kearny, N.J.), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; Media, Pa.), Aaron Herrera (New Mexico; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Andrew Lombard (Northeastern; Montclair, N.J.), John Nelson (Internationals SC; Medina, OH), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United; Trenton, N.J.), Tommy Redding (Orlando City SC; Oviedo, Fla.), Miles Robinson (Syracuse; Arlington, Mass.)   
MIDFIELDERS (7): Danilo Acosta (Real Salt Lake; Salt Lake City, UT), Amir Bashti (Stanford; Cupertino, Calif.), Brooks Lennon (Liverpool; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Cameron Lindley (Indiana Fire; Carmel, Ind.), Joshua Perez (AFC Fiorentina; La Habra, Calif.), Eryk Williamson (Maryland; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (UCLA, Minneapolis, Minn.)
FORWARDS (5): Jeremy Ebobisse (Duke; Bethesda, Md.), Sebastian Elney (Maryland; West Chester, Pa.), Victor Mansaray (Seattle Sounders; Des Moines, Wash.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic; Libertyville, Ill.), Sebastian Saucedo (Veracruz; Casa Grande, Ariz.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TennZip said:

congratulations  and best wishes to Emmanuel Sabbi in the upcoming u-20 games

U.S. U-20 MNT Gordon Jago Super Group A Schedule:
March 20 
U-20 MNT vs. CF Monterrey Rayados 
Cotton Bowl at 6:30 p.m. CT

March 21
U-20 MNT vs. Fulham FC
Richland College at 4 p.m. CT

March 23
U-20 MNT vs. TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 
TBD

ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (University of California; Newport Beach, Calif.), James Marcinkowski (Georgetown; Alamo, Calif.)
DEFENDERS (8): Marcello Borges (Michigan; Kearny, N.J.), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; Media, Pa.), Aaron Herrera (New Mexico; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Andrew Lombard (Northeastern; Montclair, N.J.), John Nelson (Internationals SC; Medina, OH), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United; Trenton, N.J.), Tommy Redding (Orlando City SC; Oviedo, Fla.), Miles Robinson (Syracuse; Arlington, Mass.)   
MIDFIELDERS (7): Danilo Acosta (Real Salt Lake; Salt Lake City, UT), Amir Bashti (Stanford; Cupertino, Calif.), Brooks Lennon (Liverpool; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Cameron Lindley (Indiana Fire; Carmel, Ind.), Joshua Perez (AFC Fiorentina; La Habra, Calif.), Eryk Williamson (Maryland; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (UCLA, Minneapolis, Minn.)
FORWARDS (5): Jeremy Ebobisse (Duke; Bethesda, Md.), Sebastian Elney (Maryland; West Chester, Pa.), Victor Mansaray (Seattle Sounders; Des Moines, Wash.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Chicago Magic; Libertyville, Ill.), Sebastian Saucedo (Veracruz; Casa Grande, Ariz.)

I'm just popping in here, like I do from time to time. I'm hardly a soccer guy, but have started to get into the sport some more (thanks to the Akron program). Is the kid from Medina expected to be a Zip?

3 hours ago, wadszip said:

I'm just popping in here, like I do from time to time. I'm hardly a soccer guy, but have started to get into the sport some more (thanks to the Akron program). Is the kid from Medina expected to be a Zip?

Alex Mapp (Medina, Ohio) Defender.

I think Wadszip might have been asking about this young man....on the u-20 team

John Nelson (Internationals SC; Medina, OH),

if you were, John Nelson is a high school junior....and he is the #1 rated high school junior.  From what I have read, Nelson wants to play in Europe as soon as he is done with high school.  The top 7 or 8 ranked players in the country have all been bypassing college.  This year, Emmanuel Sabbi is ranked #11 or #13 (depending on ranking) and he is the 3rd highest ranked player that will be attending college.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TennZip said:

I think Wadszip might have been asking about this young man....on the u-20 team

John Nelson (Internationals SC; Medina, OH),

if you were, John Nelson is a high school junior....and he is the #1 rated high school junior.  From what I have read, Nelson wants to play in Europe as soon as he is done with high school.  The top 7 or 8 ranked players in the country have all been bypassing college.  This year, Emmanuel Sabbi is ranked #11 or #13 (depending on ranking) and he is the 3rd highest ranked player that will be attending college.

Well, let us start working on John Nelson.

• Like 1