US Soccer parts ways with Jurgen Klinsmann

Bruce Arena will probably get the job (if he hasn't already) but I hope Caleb Porter gets it.  Arena is old and the USMNT needs to move on and gut the old crew.  New/young/successful great coach who identifies with the new talent - there should be no question in my mind who should be the coach.  The only reason Caleb left us was for this pursuit.  Why waste 2 years with Arenas.  ZipME87 - could you imagine who gets invited if Caleb got the job?!?!  Finally put Darlington Nagbe in the playmaking positions he belongs.

Edited by a-zip

I'm with you a-zip. It will likely go to Arena, but I don't understand it. Been there; done that. In fact Gulati was the one who got rid of Arena. So, I don't understand going back to him. Caleb is a winning coach developed by a winning coach (Jerry Yeagley). I would love to see him with this opportunity where he could pick the players he wants from the best that the US player pool has to offer. I'm certain Darlington would be in the mix, and I would think DeAndre would still be there too. Perhaps Kitchen; perhaps Trapp. I would trust, though, that Caleb would utilize the players that put USMNT in the best position to win and they would be in positions that make sense.

30 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Bruce Arena will probably get the job (if he hasn't already) but I hope Caleb Porter gets it.  Arena is old and the USMNT needs to move on and gut the old crew.  New/young/successful great coach who identifies with the new talent - there should be no question in my mind who should be the coach.  The only reason Caleb left us was for this pursuit.  Why waste 2 years with Arenas.  ZipME87 - could you imagine who gets invited if Caleb got the job?!?!  Finally put Darlington Nagbe in the playmaking positions he belongs.

I agree with you that Caleb Porter is the long term choice, or at least one of the long term choices.  But the US has 8 matches over 18 months to qualify for Russia.  (Have I got those numbers right?). Bruce Arena has been there and done that.  Let him have USMNT through Russia. After which, Arena can tap his successor and step down.

Had JK been fired a year ago, I would not be OK with hiring Arena.  But USMNT is short on time at this point.

8 matches in slightly under 8 months (between 24 March 2017 and 10 October 2017). Thank goodness for January camp.

Edited by Zip_ME87