Stadium

UAZipster0305

I came across this while trying to distract myself from a presentation I don't want to give.http://www3.uakron.edu/capplan/projects/FootballStadium.htmI'm fairly well up to speed on any public pictures that have been released and the related isn't one I've seen before. I like how it integrates other building such as dorms into the concept. I think the location is perfect too. Hoever, as depicted, it looks too much like a HS stadium. I think for the intimate college atmosphere and intimidating home field advantage, it need to be a horseshoe shaped stadium. Ideally, 25k expandable to 50k with the addition of another deck in the future if warranted by demand.

It definitely needs to be a horseshoe or a bowl. If we could get a bowl that seats 25-30K that had the possibility to be expanded to 50k, it would be great. It's all about how a stadium is built and how much sound can bounce to increase the noise. I would like to build something that cosmetically looks like Nippert Stadium that Cinncinnatti plays in.

Agree with all the posts. This is not what you want if your trying to upgrade your program.We as strong Zips supporters, need to let the university know that this does NOT cut it.In fact, this WILL hurt recruiting!!!! It just seems that those controlling this just don't get it. The university just can't think big time.

Yea I guess everybody is right this picture of a BRAND NEW Football STADIUM SUCKS!!!!Let's just save the money and stay at the Rubber Bowl. It is not that bad and heck we still get half way decent players........WTF!!!!! We are getting closer and closer to getting a new stadium and people are bitching!!!!!! Where does it say that this picture is the final plans for a stadium. Where does it say this is what the new stadium will look like......Calm down folks. This is just a an old picture of what a football stadium would look like on campus. Let wait ans see what the new drawings look like in a few months....... :chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

I agree with zff. We need to wait and see how the details will play out. I will say this. When I first started hearing discussion about a possible new stadium 10 or 15 years ago, I was VERY sceptical that funding would EVER be made available. As Zips fans, we all have things that we'd LIKE to see in the new stadium. I, for one, will be extremely pleased if and when a new stadium is built on campus period! Other than a minimum seating capacity of 25,000, I really don't have any other "musts" on my list. A design that is flexible, with room for expansion, seems to make sense as well.On a side note, I just saw that the Zips are 5 point favorites on Sheridan's Odds (USAToday). I'm not sure what others think, but I do NOT like being a 5 point favorite AT the Glass Bowl.

Rumblings have been going on about wanting a new stadium since the early 70's. The proposed location is ideal. Finally, a stadium on campus. What a novel approach!Just remember that the rendering we saw was just pasted into the picture to show everyone that a stadium could fit into the location. They arecurrently working on more renderings and probably designs and models to present to the Trustees. Let's hope the trustees have enough of a vision to make it look like a true college stadium.I still hate Can't!!!!!!!!!1 :screwks:

If you notice how the dorm buildings are squeezed in there, there wouldn't be room on the ends for a complete bowl. It's a good spot but if additional buildings are needed there (and apparently the "mixed use" theme is a requirement to help get enough funding) it puts some limitations on the stadium design and size. The joys of being a space-restricted campus :( Maybe we could do a big dig project to put Exchange St. underground in a tunnel to give us some more room :D

Okay.... does anyone here actually think that the same trustees and president who approved and oversaw the building of Simmons hall, the Student Union, the Rec center, and the overall beautification (is that a word?) of the campus is really going to drop the ball on this one? Every building they've touched has been beautiful. Let's not forget the residence hall that is currently being built and the fact that our rec center and field house rivals any in the nation!Now people think they're going to throw 20k bleachers without backs onto a field and hand it to us...c'mon, you're better than that.I didn't see a scoreboard in the drawing... are we not going to keep score at our games?I know everyone is nervous because they want it done right, but have a little faith.

It would be perfect if they extended the same structure on both endzones. That would make it 50K. We would be set for a long time. It is a lot less expensive to build for the future now then it is to try to do a retrofit later (I'm afraid they really don't have plans for that either). Just do the damn thing right the first time. One would think they would have learned their lesson with the JAR, but Nooooooo! This school has no trouble spending necessary money to upgrade the campus, especially the athletics training facility. It all looks really great. Why do they have such a hard time spending a few bucks when it comes to sports venues. Don't worry, there will be a payback. Just like the voice told Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come". ;)

The picture of the stadium you see is nothing more than a basic artists rendering from the University's planning department. It is the cover page for the stdium design specifications and requirements.I have spoken to a contractor who did extensive work on Browns Stadium. Jacob's Field, and the Gund/Q and he said this is looking to be every bit of a first class effort by Akron.

I hope those aren't supposed to be residence halls on exchange street. That would be silly.Integrate residence halls onto spider or brown, but not exchange. Exchange should be for storefronts, and if not, then a short mall or some beautiful entry up to the front of the stadium. Why would you want to use prime real estate for residence halls? I'm sure it's not going to be like that.