UC Job Was Brookhart's

MACReport

This may not be news but I just thought I would pass along something that I was told by one of the athletic department officials at Cincinnati while I was covering the Brian Kelly story.I was told that the head coaching opening at UC would have definitely gone to JD Brookhart if Akron had had a better season. Too bad for JD but good for Akron at this point? Dave

That's not at all surprising to people that follow the Zips closely. The big question in my mind however is, how much better would Akron have had to finish for JD to land the UC job? 7-5? 6-6? Did they need to win the MAC East?As far as whether it's good or bad for Akron, the consensus is (and I agree) that the next couple of years will tell. If the recruits keep coming in like they have, maybe this past year will just have been a "speed bump" on the way to MAC dominance. Hey, I can dream right? :cheers:

Truth is...Brookhart probably would have been attractive to quite a few schools had he managed to post a winning record for the third year in a row. The larger programs love to pluck coaches with talent from the lesser conferences. It's like a proving ground to them. And after this year, I think that many people that may have been looking hard at Brookhart decided to take a step back for awhile.

Anyone think J.D. may have been offered the job and turned it down.
No, if that were true, the university would crow about that, if they didn't, someone would have "leaked" that.To say JD "would have been" offered the job is only SPECULATION. Don't read too much into it.

I was told that the head coaching opening at UC would have definitely gone to JD Brookhart if Akron had had a better season. Too bad for JD but good for Akron at this point? Dave
JD & the Zips win 8 games or more...like we should have this season...and he's got a pocket full of offers. It sucks, but that's the way it is anymore. Have a couple 8-win seasons and you get a big job. If you are a "BCS" school coach and have a couple "bad" (8 or 9 win seasons) & you're on the chopping block.Former Zips AD Mike Waddell, now at UC, was seen at several late-season Zips football games including the OU game in Athens. Could he have been scouting JD? I think so. No one was hiring JD after the WMU debacle...whether it was predominately his fault or not.