Student Sections Going going Gone!

quickasazip33

Guess what athletic department, without us students there would be no department! All students pay a 200 dollar student fee and most of it goes to athletics. So guess where a big chunk of money comes from. Something needs to be done by the students. This is unacceptable. These outsiders come from wherever and decide to change everything that made us successful. What a bunch of clowns! Give me MT! Man I hate Cincy!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they want to play rough, fine.  So be it.  It's time for a new, less official, more awesome version of the AK-Rowdies.  We will have to spread the word about this, and also about where all of the students are going to sit.  There will be only two rules in the new section: 1.)  Be the loudest section, and 2.) be the loudest section!Anyone is free to join us when we rock the JAR over winter break.
Let's pick a section...and how can I find that facebook group?
There are a couple facebook groups I know of.Represent UA women's basketballAkron ZIPS basketballI support ZIPS basketballZipsnation.org is my daily source for newsAk-RowdyThe last group has the most people in it, but the only admin never does anything anymore, so I can't get him to send out a message to over 3,000 people. :( There might be more groups, and I am trying to let them all know so they can spread the word.

ATTENTION ALL AK-ROWDIES:Thanks to the actions taken by the University of Akron Athletic Department in choosing to SELL seats set aside for your student support over break, you are STRONGLY encouraged to boycott all lower level seating for the remainder of the season. You are still encouraged to support our teams, but do so from general admission seating. We need to send a message to this administration that an insult of this proportion is NOT acceptable. Please pass this message onto your friends. It will be posted on ALL Zips facebook groups and all MySpace Zips groups. Contact me via PM on this site or through AIM. This starts TOMORROW.

Well, it's been one strange night, to say the least. I will see everybody at around 6:30 tomorrow at the JAR. Wear your AK-Rowdy shirts, or something blue/gold. Tomorow we stand up and say "Were not gonna take it!" Maybe we should name this interrim cheering section something different to distinguish ourselves. Maybe the ZipsNation? If we name ourselves something different, the Athletic department will view it as a sort of rebellion on the part of the students, and knowing their need to control absolutely everything, they will respond quickly to the threat. Tomorrow we will force their hand. Once we see their reaction to this, we will be able to come up with a plan of action.

If they want to play rough, fine.  So be it.  It's time for a new, less official, more awesome version of the AK-Rowdies.  We will have to spread the word about this, and also about where all of the students are going to sit.  There will be only two rules in the new section: 1.)  Be the loudest section, and 2.) be the loudest section!Anyone is free to join us when we rock the JAR over winter break.
Let's pick a section...and how can I find that facebook group?
There are a couple facebook groups I know of.Represent UA women's basketballAkron ZIPS basketballI support ZIPS basketballZipsnation.org is my daily source for newsAk-RowdyThe last group has the most people in it, but the only admin never does anything anymore, so I can't get him to send out a message to over 3,000 people. :( There might be more groups, and I am trying to let them all know so they can spread the word.
Ohhhhh I thought you started a specific group for the boycott...which we should definitely do! Could you make that?Oh, and I like the idea of using a different name...Zips Nation would be good.

Wow I am starting to love this, You have a student group and students who have been working endless hours to get students in the stands and how do we get repaid. Yea they take away our seats because that is the cool thing to do these days. Trust me if I know about this move I would have let you know sooner but I just found out tonight at 11:30 pm. No it wasn’t by a phone call from the "higher-ups" it was an im from a friend who read it here on Zips Nation. You would think being the Vp of this group I would know about this. SO what do we do... if we sit up top and band together there they win, that is what they want. Here’s a better idea we bring every AK-ROWDIES member and we show up to the game. They don't think we can get 100 people at the game. What happens when we have all of our people there who want their lower seats? We are a very powerful group. Its time we show it. Trust me if we show up in mass numbers they will respect us more than if we don't show up or sit up top. We will keep on fighting for you at all cost!!!!!!

Wow I am starting to love this, You have a student group and students who have been working endless hours to get students in the stands and how do we get repaid. Yea they take away our seats because that is the cool thing to do these days. Trust me if I know about this move I would have let you know sooner but I just found out tonight at 11:30 pm. No it wasn’t by a phone call from the "higher-ups" it was an im from a friend who read it here on Zips Nation. You would think being the Vp of this group I would know about this. SO what do we do... if we sit up top and band together there they win, that is what they want. Here’s a better idea we bring every AK-ROWDIES member and we show up to the game. They don't think we can get 100 people at the game. What happens when we have all of our people there who want their lower seats? We are a very powerful group. Its time we show it. Trust me if we show up in mass numbers they will respect us more than if we don't show up or sit up top. We will keep on fighting for you at all cost!!!!!!
FearThisAmerica,First of all, thank you for your work. It does not go unappreciated. I cannot believe they didn't even tell you about this...just horrible.I disagree with you about the boycott. Put yourself in the position of the AD right now. Tomorrow, you see all of your student section sitting up top...there are maybe 10-15 people in the lower sections. You know that Friday you have #25 Nevada coming in...a game that will be on TV on ESPN Full Court and in Nevada...it also has a great chance of showing up on SportsCenter's highlights. You think about all of that...and you think about how bad it will look to basically have no student section down low. Don't you think you might reconsider your plans???

Sorry FTA, i don't agree with you either... what you are suggesting is exactly what they want. They want us to fight over the few seats remaining in the south end and fill them while the rest of us will be thrown in section 5. Sorry ! we come in one package, we either occuppy both sides or nothing. And by the way, i believe you when you say that you were not informed about this and what that shows is that this AD looks at us as if we work for them, which we don't. We pay tuition and they get paid to do their job, so indirectly they worki for us. I think that the AD department should hear it from you guys Rowdies board, even if that leads to your resignation.

good call i see booth sides this is your group and I am willing to do what you guys feel is best. Now sould I even drawl up a rowdy news letter if we are going to be there and be quiet?
I don't think we should be quiet. I think we should be even LOUDER than normal...just in the General Admission section. This will lead people (including alumni) to start asking why the great student section is sitting up top. This will lead Dambrot to question why the students aren't down low helping his team even more. Let the Athletic Department try to explain how they sold out their students.

Wow I am starting to love this,  You have a student group and students who have been working endless hours to get students in the stands and how do we get repaid. Yea they take away our seats because that is the cool thing to do these days.  Trust me if I know about this move I would have let you know sooner but I just found out tonight at 11:30 pm.  No it wasn’t by a phone call from the "higher-ups" it was an im from a friend who read it here on Zips Nation.  You would think being the Vp of this group I would know about this.  SO what do we do... if we sit up top and band together there they win, that is what they want.  Here’s a better idea we bring every AK-ROWDIES member and we show up to the game.  They don't think we can get 100 people at the game.  What happens when we have all of our people there who want their lower seats?  We are a very powerful group.  Its time we show it.  Trust me if we show up in mass numbers they will respect us more than if we don't show up or sit up top.  We will keep on fighting for you at all cost!!!!!!
FearThisAmerica,First of all, thank you for your work. It does not go unappreciated. I cannot believe they didn't even tell you about this...just horrible.I disagree with you about the boycott. Put yourself in the position of the AD right now. Tomorrow, you see all of your student section sitting up top...there are maybe 10-15 people in the lower sections. You know that Friday you have #25 Nevada coming in...a game that will be on TV on ESPN Full Court and in Nevada...it also has a great chance of showing up on SportsCenter's highlights. You think about all of that...and you think about how bad it will look to basically have no student section down low. Don't you think you might reconsider your plans???
I sent e-mails to Rhoades, Ward, and Yurachek suggesting that they "rethink" this brilliant idea, as I will not be near a phone on Tuesday. I think a boycott of the lower sections is definately in order and make enough noise that people listen. Trust me they will never sell enough of those tickets to make a difference even with Nevada coming in. Many years ago (before the JAR) Memorial Hall used to be open at night and on weekends for students, mainly dorm students. All of a sudden the Athletic Department shut it down because of the "cost of a janitor and electricty". I was there when several students (and a couple of football players) cornered Gordon Larson (the football coach) and let him know our thoughts. Within a couple of days Red Cochran (the AD) opened Memorial Hall again, and guess what .... THE UNIVERSITY NEVER WENT BROKE! What this Atheltic Department is doing to the students is nothing more than a :nutkick: and a pure :rolltide:

I rarely post on this board any longer but I read it every day. I wanted to comment on how strongly I feel about this situation being nothing short of a disaster. I cannot believe how much things have changed in one year. This just shows the difference in philosophy between administrations. Do not confuse effort with results is something a former boss, and still good friend, used to tell me all the time. This is my fear. Keep fighting. This is unjust and a true shame. Good luck AK-ROWDIES. I look forward to my visit and seeing all of you at James A. Rhodes arena for the December 29th double header. You can count on me to speak to the administration about this matter.Always and forever a Zip above all other!
ah... he returns! Can't wait to see you on the 29th with the AK-ROWDIES sitting in GA!

I have had my differences with some of the AK-Rowdies decisions in the past but as I have said before, for far far far too long this school has lacked true student support. This instance is why I hated the fact that the AD had a hand in the rowdies. Congrats go out to Mack Rhodes and Hunter You're-a-dick. You have officially killed any student support. I will not rest until the two of you are fired. You are complete shams and L. Proenza should be appalled. To hell with the both of you and your second rate, DIII mentality.KENTK.E.N.T K.E.N.T. K.E.N.T.

We will need people there early, not only to claim one of the upper sections for the Rowdies, but also to make sure nobody sits behind the basket in the remaining student section. This is very important because not every Rowdy who might go to the game knows about this yet, and they will want to be behind the basket to be closer to the action. Someone has to make sure that section remains empty throughout the game. It has to be done before the Nevada game, or else we might be even worse off than we are now.

We will need people there early, not only to claim one of the upper sections for the Rowdies, but also to make sure nobody sits behind the basket in the remaining student section. This is very important because not every Rowdy who might go to the game knows about this yet, and they will want to be behind the basket to be closer to the action. Someone has to make sure that section remains empty throughout the game. It has to be done before the Nevada game, or else we might be even worse off than we are now.
I'll be there as soon as 5:30 for the women game... the rowdies board members (who usually bass the wrist bands) for admission to the lower section should not do that. Instead, they should let every coming rowdy know of the situation and ask them to sit in the GA.

AKRON, Ohio – A limited number of tickets in the lower-level reserve endzone sections of Rhodes Arena are available for the next four men's basketball home games. These seats are normally set aside for the UA student cheering section.How utterly amazing is it that the Akron Media Relations department could publicly turn out such a terrible document. The casual reader is left to wonder two things; 1) what happened to the UA student cheering section?, and 2) is a limited number of seats the extent of students who cheer at the game?Uh, media relations folks, you might want to explain (even though it's still lame) that the tickets are available because it's winter break and many students aren't on campus. The way it reads now is that the student cheering section seats have mysteriously opened up, why? maybe no students cheer at games, therefore these seats are available so that you can't cheer as well.Really inept writing, and points out again that the Athletic Department has no appreciation of their customers, and no sense at all of public relations. Why wouldn't Mack Rhoades point out such a glaring omission?

I just got out of a meeting with Hunter. He knows that I wrote my post on Zips Nation Last night. And Yes, He was disappointed in me for he knows I am a hard worker here for the Athletic Department. He told me if I can GARANTEE to have 164+ AK-ROWDIES members for the Nevada game he will hold the lower seats for us. He told me he would rather have 164+ of Akron's ROWDIEST students then just some Smo off the streets. So if you can send me an e-mail saying you will be there and if I get 164+ from you I will be able to get ALL of OUR seats for the lower level back for the BIGGEST game in AKRON/RHODES ARENA HISTORY. COACH D just also spoke to me he said get them back! I am calling YOU out NOW e-mail me ASAP let me know you will be a loud ROWDY fan come this FRIDAY.When You COME BE LOUD BE PROUD FEAR THE ROO and GOOOOO ZIPS

Great news for the Rowdies but it took the athletic department until the week OF THE game to arrange for a full house behind the baskets?! Not that they had MONTHS to work with the Rowdies and others to make sure the JAR is full. Are the vinyl LPs ready for the national anthem, fight song, and other numbers usually played by the pep band? I wonder how many of the band members would have been willing to come WAY back into town for a game like Nevada? Did anyone in the athletic department even ask the band director about their availability? So school is out - BIG DEAL!!! Bust a little ass to make sure the atmosphere is the way that it should be! If I didn't have a frickin' day job I'd volunteer down there to do some of the leg work myself!Here's hoping the AK-Rowdies make an exception and cross the picket line for the Nevada game.