BGSU post game notes

Valpo Zip

I don't understand all the hate for Tarver. He saved us from mediocrity his senior year after Hollingsworth went off the deep end. He fought through medical problems...something the Jimmy V Foundation thought enough of to nominate him for their Comeback Award his senior season. Sure, he had his downfalls as a player...and sure, he was a bit selfish with the basketball...but maybe he had to be? Sometimes I wish we had a guy who wanted the ball that bad in crunch time situations...

Derrick Tarver aside here .. by what criteria were the Zips NOT mediocre in 2003-04? They DEFINED mediocre, didnt' they? Isn't that why we had a coaching change?
I thought we were pretty bad. But if someone wants to call us "mediocre" I won't argue. If he saved us from mediocrity, then Coleman Crawford saved us from being a doormat.

Considering 2003-2004 was a year full of promise - SI had us ranked pretty high in the preseason - and that they got off to a decent start, it's tough for me to call them mediocre...I believe they had more talent on the roster that year than their record showed. When Hollingsworth went off the deep end, Tarver took the leadership role on the team and delivered the best he could. It wasn't his fault that the rest of the team was lacking. Anyone remember Tarver vs. Can't State in his 2nd to last home game? 33 points in 36 minutes...name me a guy on the current team that has that kind of ability to take over a game. But keep on hating on the guy... :rolleyes:

Considering 2003-2004 was a year full of promise - SI had us ranked pretty high in the preseason - and that they got off to a decent start, it's tough for me to call them mediocre...I believe they had more talent on the roster that year than their record showed. When Hollingsworth went off the deep end, Tarver took the leadership role on the team and delivered the best he could. It wasn't his fault that the rest of the team was lacking. Anyone remember Tarver vs. Can't State in his 2nd to last home game? 33 points in 36 minutes...name me a guy on the current team that has that kind of ability to take over a game. But keep on hating on the guy... :rolleyes:
The current coach doesn't build a team that needs a 30 point scorer. :rolleyes: Any of the main guys can carry the team when needed, but nio one player dominates. I prefer this method. :cheers:

Considering 2003-2004 was a year full of promise - SI had us ranked pretty high in the preseason - and that they got off to a decent start, it's tough for me to call them mediocre...I believe they had more talent on the roster that year than their record showed.  When Hollingsworth went off the deep end, Tarver took the leadership role on the team and delivered the best he could.  It wasn't his fault that the rest of the team was lacking.  Anyone remember Tarver vs. Can't State in his 2nd to last home game?  33 points in 36 minutes...name me a guy on the current team that has that kind of ability to take over a game.  But keep on hating on the guy... :rolleyes:
The current coach doesn't build a team that needs a 30 point scorer. :rolleyes: Any of the main guys can carry the team when needed, but nio one player dominates. I prefer this method. :cheers:
Did Derrick Tarver have any role in building the team? My argument was in support of him doing the best that he could, not Dan Hipsher.I do prefer more of a team approach - who wouldn't. But I also wish we had a bonafide "go to guy" late in the game.