2007 football lineup

Big Zip

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the Plain Dealer (as usual) is writing a series of articles regarding Ohio State and how they are going to rebound -- who is going to replace there big name stars. It sure would be nice if the ABJ did this for Akron. Nonetheless, the ABJ actually doesn't have the Zips knowledge of this board (no offense Rasor), but could those in the know on this board shed some light on who the expected replacements will be in 2007 for our seniors that have moved on? It would be interesting to have some insight into those student athletes and their abilities too. I'm assuming CJ 1, CJ 2 or Hakes is going to win the QB role -- what do we know about them. Who are the front runners across the o-line to replace those exiting. Who's going to replace Reid and Gonzalez on the DL.

I've got to admit this QB battle is gonna be interesting to see how this all pans out. I know I might be asking for too much, but I hope none of the guys transfer, especially with how good of athletes they are they might just make a position change. I dunno I just figure if you're a team player you don't just quit on your team if you don't win a spot. (unless the scheme doesn't fit the way you play, there's really no excuse IMO)

I'm a Mentor High School grad and was at a few playoff games this year including the state championship game -- I heard from a few people that coach Trivisonno was trying to help Jacquemain transfer to BW. I hope this was incorrect...but it was what I heard. He was a pretty good receiver in HS before he moved to QB and could easily play a solid WR for this team. I picture him as a slot receiver - he's faster than people give him credit for and has great hands.

I'm a Mentor High School grad and was at a few playoff games this year including the state championship game -- I heard from a few people that coach Trivisonno was trying to help Jacquemain transfer to BW. I hope this was incorrect...but it was what I heard. He was a pretty good receiver in HS before he moved to QB and could easily play a solid WR for this team. I picture him as a slot receiver - he's faster than people give him credit for and has great hands.
Trivisonno huh? He probably wants to do it just to spite Akron. That guy has it out for UA, although he rarely says so on his show. I know for a fact he was pulling for us to lose the MCB last year because he didn't want a Zips victory to take away anything from the Fiesta Bowl and OSU.

Trivisonno was trying to help Jacquemain transfer to BW.
If he wanted to transfer, why would he want to skip all the way down to D-III? If it's purely for PT, then tranfering to a D1-AA or D-II school (another ex-Zip at Ashland?) would seem to be more likely. And if D-III is what he wants, you'd think Larry Kehres would find a spot on the roster :D Regardless, I hope he stays. If I picture Hakes correctly, I see he and CJ as probably being more of the "mobile", "dual-threat" types with Chris being the better pocket QB? Who knows, maybe he might be needed in a game where we fall behind early and by a lot.

Wow... I really hope that news is incorrect too. I thought Jacquemain looked like the better QB in last years Spring game between him and Jackson, although Jackson had the nod this year I expected Jacquemain to be right in the battle this spring.
I would be surprised if Jacqmaine stayed with the program strictly from his body language at the Toledo game. When we went down 21-0, he was having a big belly laugh with another player rather than paying attention to the game. He stood out because most of the team was at the far end of the sidelines yelling in support of the Zip D's attempted goal line stand. I look at the end of the Boise State-Oklahoma game, and the back up QB's were pretty much given full credit for the playcalling that won that game. Even though they weren't ever getting into the game, barring injury, they paid attention and contributed immensly to the win. That's what I'd expect a back up QB, who wanted to win a job the following season, would do. Pay attention and be in a coach's ear when necessary.Maybe I caught him at a bad moment. But it ticked me off to drive two hours in some horrific weather to support the team, and see a few players really didn't seem to care if we were getting drillled.

I'm a Mentor High School grad and was at a few playoff games this year including the state championship game -- I heard from a few people that coach Trivisonno was trying to help Jacquemain transfer to BW.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we get Iveljic from Mentor?

Yeah Igor came from Mentor too.Interestingly enough during last summer's golf outing for the football program -- one of the coaches mentioned both guys. He said Jacquemain was ahead of Carlton in the competition for back-up QB -- that didn't seem to hold up and he also said Igor was kicking 65 yard field goals indoors. I never mentioned being from Mentor -- this was just offered up.

the battle most interesting to me will be the o line. akron only has one returning starter with really only one other that has seen some playing time. i really thought that bates and anderson would be locks at guards by this year but reading quotes from j.d. and by seeing their lack of playing time last year makes me think they may not be ready. i hope they both yet serious this offseason as both have a ton of talent. if both come to play that still leaves two spots open. is sekinger ready to step up at right tackle? what about woods? if some one can step up and solidify the RT. spot the line should be in ok shape as sheepe can take over at C. that would also leave some depth as brewster and holly have at least taken a few snaps. what ever the case akron really needs this to be a main focus leading up to fall ball. :screwks:

that o-line is the main reason i wish akron would of had a home opener before the osu game.i think our defnese will be ok against the buckeyes.with a new o-line and qb the defense is going to be on the field alott.at the same time i wonder how much worse the o-line can be after last year.how many games did we have were we could not rush for even 100 yards as a team.

that o-line is the main reason i wish akron would of had a home opener before the osu game.i think our defnese will be ok against the buckeyes.with a new o-line and qb the defense is going to be on the field alott.at the same time i wonder how much worse the o-line can be after last year.how many games did we have were we could not rush for even 100 yards as a team.
If it makes you feel any better, I beleive OSU is breaking in a new D-line, so our O-line won't be that beat up.

After the season ended, JD did a wrap up on Zips Live. When asked about the OL, he sounded most excited about Mike Ward. The guys he mentioned were Kemme, Schepas, Ward, and Huebener. He said that Anderson and Bates need to get to the next level. Woods gained about 40 lbs and was the most athletic lineman - my hope is that he is a sleeper. We did get 1 JUCO kid as well. It will be tough for any new FR to step in.How about the DL? We need 6 guys to rotate. Robinson, Lively, and Cechetti are going to be in the rotation. None of them get me too excited. Does Williams move back to a down lineman? I thought that he finally started getting comfortable at LB the last couple of weeks. Regardless of who we move to DL from the exisiting roster, they will be undersized.How is Alex Allen's rehab going?

We better sign some seriously talented DL or pick-up a solid JUCO. I really like the DE's we've picked up in Joe Rash, Marquinn Davis and Shane Shead. But I'd really like to see the middle get solidified, maybe Jafe Pitcock (if he's good enough, I dont have much info on him). I think landing DT Wayne Jones would possibly be one of the biggest pick-ups in this class if not the biggest, just because I think with his size he could have an immediate impact. I dont know how many people have checked out his new highlights on Rivals.com but he is DOMINANT in the middle.DT Wayne Jones Rivals.com Profile Linkhttp://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=59951He lists Akron as one of his two schools he has High Interest in along with Pitt, I really hope Jones picks the Zips... he's gonna be a FORCE in the middle.

BuckZip have you checked out Wayne Jones' Highlights from his senior year? The kid is 6'4" 340 and is strong and quick getting to the passer and ball carrier, check out the link man.But I agree we need two DL that can play, but I see Jones not just playing but DOMINATING! I really liked what I saw on his tape (he had good footwork on the OL and great speed and power on the DL).