CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS

UA ALUM

Can SOMEONE explain to me WHY the championship banners are now missing from the JAR??? They have been gone since the season started and have not been returned. THATS our history of great teams from the past and for some strange reason they are missing.UA LUM
I understand where you are coming from.However.I think we had banners up there for accomplishments that really shouldn't have banners.Division II runnerup? I don't think so.It's like a program clinging to anything to put up a banner. We can do better than that.Let's only put them up for Conference championships and retired numbers.

I really disagree that these accomplishments (DII runner-up, etc.) aren't worthy of a banner. In building a program, it's important to know how far we've come. The banner puts into perspective the rich history of the program (and more globally, the university) and also shows us how far we yet have to go to become a major force at the national level.There is a Nation member who is currently a PhD student in history at UA (and alum of UT). I encourage him to please use this forum to explain to the Nation the importance and significance of studying history.

Can SOMEONE explain to me WHY the championship banners are now missing from the JAR??? They have been gone since the season started and have not been returned. THATS our history of great teams from the past and for some strange reason they are missing.UA LUM
I concur entirely. New Zips fans and opponents need to know that this isn't the first good team @ UA. In fact, UA's tradition goes MUCH deeper than 7 or 8 years .. unlike some other places.If I remember correctly the Zips are something like 21-10 all time in NCAA tournament games. That's not too shabby if you ask me. I sit by some former players who'd probably take umbrage to the comment that their efforts were not relevant to now.They need to re-do the banners in the style of the new jerseys, etc. and get them back up there.

I should add that history is a relative compass of progress. Those banners represent magnetic north. Without them, we don't know where we've been, where we are, and thus, where we are going. We need those banners back!
I respectfully disagree.I'm a history lover as much as anyone and appreciate how far the program has come.However, you don't need your "Championship" banners to read like a media guide.Banners are meant to honor significant achievement, not the run of the mill.

You mean to tell me that being the Nat'l runner-up in D-2 is and was not significant???If you had been around then, you would have thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.Using that argument, assuming we had won the NIT last year, which is a minor tournament in the whole scheme of things, then we should not have hung a banner?The history of the U of A bb is not hjust about the last few years since we have been D-1. It goes all the way back to days of Billy Turner, Don Williams, Bobby Smith and all the others that competed when the school was in the OAC.Let's get those banners back. :mad_flame::mad_flame:

You mean to tell me that being the Nat'l runner-up in D-2 is and was not significant???If you had been around then, you would have thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.Using that argument, assuming we had won the NIT last year, which is a minor tournament in the whole scheme of things, then we should not have hung a banner?The history of the U of A bb is not hjust about the last few years since we have been D-1. It goes all the way back to days of Billy Turner, Don Williams, Bobby Smith and all the others that competed when the school was in the OAC.Let's get those banners back. :mad_flame::mad_flame:
Winning the NIT would be a championship, therefore deserving of a banner.I WAS around for the last few years of Div. II. I understand there was life before Huggins.But I can't see putting up a banner for second place.

Winning the NIT would be a championship, therefore deserving of a banner.I WAS around for the last few years of Div. II. I understand there was life before Huggins.But I can't see putting up a banner for second place.
As someone who was there when we finished in "2nd place", I am amazed that you feel the 66th palce in NCAA Division I is much more deserving of a banner than "2nd place". Believe me the players on the teams from 1963 through 1968 could compete with Travis, Joyce, and Linhart. I said compete, I didn't say they were better, although Billy Turner did spend several years in the NBA out on the west coast. Bring back all the banners that were hanging up there previousily. :gun::gun::gun::gun::gun:

OK, winning the NIT is a championship. However, your the 66th best team in the nation. The other 65 made the REAL Show.What do you think would happen if Akron were to be the national runner-up in BB? Tell me there wouldn't be a banner!
In that case, I would have a banner that lists each year we made the NCAA Tournament.Here's what I propose:A banner listing each year we make the NCAA Tournament.A banner listing each year we make the NIT.A banner for any NCAA or NIT championship.A banner for any conference championship.A banner for each retired number.I didn't expect this to be so emotional. If you disagree...that's cool.Put the old banners back up...the sun will still come up.I didn't like it when the Indians were putting divisional banners on the outfield fence either. I think they should keep it to American League or World Series Championships.

If there were banners and now there aren't, shame on the University. I've never taken inventory. We can't hide from who we are. We are a school that started out Division III, then II, then I-AA and then what we are now. Instead of hiding from it, we should embrace it. It's our history.On Tuesday, I went to the UCONN vs. PITT game and I noticed their banners. Their team didn't always win something to be noted on a banner. Basically, they had one for every year in the NCAA Tournament and yes, they had another for years in the NIT (one for each category with the year only). They have some championship banners. They also have individual banners for Sweet 16 appearances and various other accomplishments.Banners are not only good reminders of accomplishments, but they can remind players every day, who may have not won anything (present players included), that they have something to prove and can leave their mark on the ceiling. You can get angry about various things in the past, but never hide from the past. We are who we are.

The explanation I was given is:There were some banners up-top that were really old. They were the old yellow cloth material, and time had taken its toll. They needed replaced. There were also eleven teams with legitimate championship claims that had no banners in the rafters. Holding to the present format, there wasn't enough space to recognize all teams.The University decided to place the large coaches pictures in the corner of the JAR and list all the past accomplishments there. I believe the only team not recognized is last year's NIT-qualifying Men's basketball team?Like it or not, that's what was done. If the banners are to come back, someone will need to make an executive decision.

Last year's team is in the rafters behind the bench. They even have the team picture which is a nice touch. For what it is worth I think the recognition is better than any other arena I have been in because of the pictures of the players, coaches and teams that are up. The old banners looked old - glad they got replaced. This is a great move by the new administration. Super job Mack & company.

Last year's team is in the rafters behind the bench. They even have the team picture which is a nice touch. For what it is worth I think the recognition is better than any other arena I have been in because of the pictures of the players, coaches and teams that are up. The old banners looked old - glad they got replaced. This is a great move by the new administration. Super job Mack & company.
Ok...so...now we hear the banners were old....then the Univ. should do SOMEthing more than hidding the teams accomplishments in the corners of the JAR. If youve EVER been to Cincy and watched a game in THE SHOE, they have every accompishment the Bearcats have ever had in their storied history.I personally had NO CLUE what a force the once were before HUGGINS. I am sure that all those banners are not the originals,but SOME universities know how to be proud of the past and show EVERYONE that enters how proud they are of their past. I think its sad that this university knows nothing about promoting itself. Its not about living in the past its about where and how far we have come. I.E. JOHN HEISMAN; why this university does NOTHING (other than name a broken down lodge near the rubber bowl that few people even know exists) to promote the fact that THE most recognized name in football history actually played and coached HERE. I know thats off the track a bit....being football and not basketball, and not about BANNERS, but come UA step up..get with it ....BE PROUD and dont be afraid to SELF PROMOTE.

Today's Buffalo game was the first time I've been to the JAR in years.I like the coach's banners with all of the teams accomplishments.And the retired numbers banners are second to none.Very well done.When did they put the benches on the other side of the floor?

Two comments:1.) Isn't the team photo you speak of from the WOMEN's NIT team of 8 years ago?2.) I am fairly certain the banners were removed, and the corner coach's pics installed, under the previous regime.