2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

48 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Got our PG! On phone but got a commit from “ultra quick point guard” Kaia Woods. Transfer from Washington State University. 5’3” guard. WSU website says she’s originally from Tiffin, Ohio.

Yep, Tiffin Columbian High School. 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Got our PG! On phone but got a commit from “ultra quick point guard” Kaia Woods. Transfer from Washington State University. 5’3” guard. WSU website says she’s originally from Tiffin, Ohio.

Stats say she played 53 minutes in two years at WSU, so not sure what we're getting yet. Good high school numbers and probably wants to get back close to home where she may play more. Welcome home kid.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, mes102 said:

Akron coaching staff at work this weekend. One Akron coach sighting at the Cincinnati Clash (among others)

I noticed that Kaia Woods' dad retweeted or liked my retweet of this tweet. That raised my interest! 

Kaia is just 5-3 and a sparkplug.  Check out her HS #s.

Rachel Wirts is a player I'm wondering about. She was offered by Melissa as a soph., pretty sure her first D1 offer. She's still following our (new) coaches on Twitter, has an offer from Tulsa. Not sure if any others, but she's getting good press on the AAU circuit.  Anyone know how many open scholarships we have available currently?

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/247073/all-sbc-guard-kaia-woods-transfers-to-school-in-canada/

Kaia finished her HS career at this prep school in Toronto. So, she is a year older than her class.

Yep, someone also said Hopewell-Loudon as well but not sure. I knew about the Canada & Tiffin Columbian parts. I try to keep up with Ohio women's basketball student-athletes and where they play collegiately. Here's the list I had put together during March Madness: 

NCAA D1

189 student-athletes

102 programs

32 states

NCAA D2

227 student-athletes

53 programs

14 states

NCAA D3

287 student-athletes 

61 programs

15 states

NAIA

152 student-athletes

49 programs

18 states

For me, it shows how much talent is in the state of Ohio on the women's side. For example, the top JUCO player is from Columbus and is going to end up at Ole Miss or South Carolina (Sakima Walker). 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Rachel Wirts is a player I'm wondering about. She was offered by Melissa as a soph., pretty sure her first D1 offer. She's still following our (new) coaches on Twitter, has an offer from Tulsa. Not sure if any others, but she's getting good press on the AAU circuit.  Anyone know how many open scholarships we have available currently?

Coach Gensler is also following her.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have nothing to base this off of right now, but I wouldn't be shocked if a particular student-athlete in the transfer portal as a graduate transfer comes "home" to Ohio from a Power 5 school. Seems like their height, position, and experience would be a perfect fit for what might be needed still for this roster (if there is any spots left which I think there is at least one spot still). 

EDIT - Or another graduate transfer stays in Ohio and that one would make a ton of sense with the connection to this staff. 

Edited by mes102
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mes102 said:

I have nothing to base this off of right now, but I wouldn't be shocked if a particular student-athlete in the transfer portal as a graduate transfer comes "home" to Ohio from a Power 5 school. Seems like their height, position, and experience would be a perfect fit for what might be needed still for this roster (if there is any spots left which I think there is at least one spot still). 

EDIT - Or another graduate transfer stays in Ohio and that one would make a ton of sense with the connection to this staff. 

I hope either one of them is someone with significant playing time at the DI level. I guess graduate transfer tends to indicate that.

Edited by ewbrooman1

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's way too early, and it may just be wishful thinking or the proverbial honeymoon period, but it just feels to me like Coach Gensler has already kicked our program up a notch. 

Not sure about that, but I appreciate your optimism. We return one player who has been a significant contributor at the DI level and no one coming in has played many, if any, minutes in DI. It's going to be a really young team with lots of opportunity to grow.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

That sure took a while. Doesn't make things any easier for the new coach. Peyton Scott should get the heck out of there now and go somewhere she can be part of a winning team.

Already in the transfer portal. 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1