Lets end ou stuff and start AP bashing

exexec

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading this board, the OU board, and looking at stat lines and sheets to try to get a feel for this Zips team or come to some type of concensus in my own mind as to how I think this game will go. However, I really haven't a clue. I cannot get a feel for this game. These teams seem to mirror one another in many respects. I think this Governor team is going to give the Zips all they can handle and possibly more IF they play as they have been playing. I think one big key for the Govs is that they must come out of the starting gate on fire. Peay is certainly capable of coming back from deficits as they have had to do on a few occasions this year but I do not think they can get down early to Akron. I also think the Zips are going to have a hard time defending Drake Reed and Fernandez Lockett down low. Reed can play with anyone in the country (actually, his AAU days saw him play against some of the bigger names in college ball today such as Hansbrough - and did quite well) and the Zips have no one who can outjump Lockett. I also do not think the Zips have a guard who is as quick as DJ Wright. However, I gather that the Zips have a very stingy defense so we shall see (the Govs can play a little D too). It is not so much the Zips themselves as the Zips in the JAR that concerns me. If the Zips came to Austin Peay on Saturday then they would lose and probably lose by a rather large margin the way the Govs have been playing. Again, I think the Zips mirror Austin Peay in their home court advantage. However, this Governor team has been surprising everyone this year and silencing the nay-sayers. I am going with the Governors of Austin Peay. If Reed and Lockett can get us going early on and Babbington, Wright, Shipley start stroking it from outside then it is lights out for the Zips but the Governors cannot come out trying to feel this team out - they must take it directly to the Zips.GOVS: 75ZIPS: 73

Peay Nation.......I would retract this statement........"the Zips have no one who can outjump Lockett."One of Akron's forwards, Quade Milum, was a 6'-10" high jumper in high school. I'm looking forward to seeing Peay in the JAR again. I don't think you guys have played here since our OVC days, when I was still a student in the 80's. Welcome back to Akron.

Oh..forgot to make my prediction. If this game was on the road, it would be closer. But I'll be surprised if Peay can keep the final score under a 20 point margin.That's my problem with us getting this game scheduled as a bracket buster. This is what we went to Nevada for last year?? To get a home game this year that really doesn't help us??

Peay Nation.......I would retract this statement........"the Zips have no one who can outjump Lockett."One of Akron's forwards, Quade Milum, was a 6'-10" high jumper in high school.  I'm looking forward to seeing Peay in the JAR again.  I don't think you guys have played here since our OVC days, when I was still a student in the 80's.  Welcome back to Akron.
I repeat, "The Zips have no one who can outjump Lockett." He had a one handed dunk against Samford last week off a missed free throw where, it was said, his elbow was as high as the top of the bankshot box. But, his dunks, spectacular as they are, are really quite rare in a game. He can score but is mostly a glass eater. Has had his share of double doubles this year. Drake Reed is almost assured of garnering the OVC Player of the Year award but Lockett's name is also prominently mentioned. I do not see a 6'10" guy coming off the bench as a threat to Lockett. Could Milum perhaps be slow or a bit rough around the edges? Austin Peay has a seven footer but he gets little time now since we went to a smaller, quicker lineup. Uhm, he's not much of a threat to you anyway. Hey, it may be a 20 point blowout in favor of the Zips. I cannot get a feel for this game or this team as stated earlier but if the Govs come to play and bring their A game then the Zips will be getting all they can handle. Just tellin' you. It is a very unselfish and disciplined team and anyone on the court can be the high scorer or make the big plays. Very solid down low and can be an outstanding perimeter defensive team and rank either at the top or near the top in most defensive categorys in their League. Whoever is your ballhandler then please apprise him that the ball will be stolen from him - it is only a question of how many times DJ Wright is going to pick his pocket. He does it every contest. Limit it to 2 or 3 then you have done well. Some poor guard tried to play some D on Wright the other night but a killer crossover nearly broke the dude's ankles. Dimuniative in stature but very, very quick. That is why he is called "The Blur." You mentioned Milum and I was already aware of him from my reading but what kind of bench do you have? Peay will go about 8 and sometimes 9 deep. The sixth man, Shipley (sometimes Channels) are both players who can be dangerous and we are quite comfortable with them in the game out on the perimeter. Shipley is a streak shooter and can be a defensive pest. Channels is a Frosh out of Memphis who can score or dish. Fields, Felder and Roberson will see playing time down low. These three are not nearly the scoring threats as Reed or Lockett but they have held the fort down well while those two catch a breather. This team is very young (not a senior in the bunch) but they have matured a lot from those first few games. Again, Dave Loos demands two things from all his teams; Discipline and defense. Uhm, Milum may get a lot of boards but he will do so by positioning and not by outjumping Lockett. Lockett will outjump him if it came down to that and, nope, I am far from insane. There is a reason Lockett is called "the Rocket." Still, though, and as your Coach is sure to say, it is Drake Reed that is going to garner a lot of attention from the Zips.

PeayNation, i'll give you the bottom line. The zips are unbeatabe at the JAR. In the last 2 years, the only team that was able to barely squeeze their luck and escape the JAR with a 2-point win was Nevada. They are #10. If you you are not #10 or better (which you are not), you have no hope. No disrespect intended but i don't think the Governors are any better than a good MAC team (OU or WMU) both of which we beat by more than 30 at the JAR.My predictions: Akron by 30 if our guys are on fire.Akron by 12 if we have an off game.

Oh..forgot to make my prediction. If this game was on the road, it would be closer. But I'll be surprised if Peay can keep the final score under a 20 point margin.That's my problem with us getting this game scheduled as a bracket buster. This is what we went to Nevada for last year?? To get a home game this year that really doesn't help us??
Personally, I do not care for the BracketBuster "Tournament." I think it is an intrusion and distraction for teams away from their conference focus. Who knows that one or both of these teams might come into the contest without even caring who wins? Some Peay fans have suggested using the game to rest our starters but I know Coach Dave Loos isn't going to take that attitude into this game. No, a win against Austin Peay is not going to propel Akron into heights it has never seen. Then again, neither is a win at Akron going to do wonders for Austin Peay. Last week the RPI's were 97 (Akron) and 107 (Austin Peay) respectively. Today it is 85 and 107.

If the Gov's have a similar style of play to Toledo then we will have a close game. If not, we win by 9+ points. I don't see anyone coming to the JAR and winning right now outside of a top 15 team. :champs:
What kind of style does Toledo play? The Govs are versatile. They have played uptempo and in transition and they have played games where they slowed the tempo. Basically, though, they prefer to set up and run their offense taking a shot whenever it becomes available. They run a zone high/low offense. Defensively, they will probably play man to man exclusively. Amazingly, we have seen this team play some zone this year but Dave Loos typically likes to play man and preaches defense, defense, DEFENSE! Dave Loos is also an absolute master at making the needed adjustments to help his team win the game. Sometimes they come out of a timeup with a whole new level of intensity on defense. To be sure, Austin Peay's Peayfense will need to be there on Saturday. If not then the game is over. If it shows up and is intense then these 30 point predictions are really quite silly. The same can be said of Akron's defense against Austin Peay. They can score inside or out but, again, the Zips better find an answer to Drake Reed. What is he doing at Austin Peay? He is from Clarksville and wanted to stay close to home. Otherwise, he was recruited by virtually every major conference with Memphis and Louisville very heavy in their desire to procure his most wonderful services. But Reed is a very unselfish and unassuming lad and doesn't mind having a low key game if the attention given to him helps others get open looks. Concerning our Post players, Coach Loos likes to say we have a Bull and Gazelle down low (Reed and Lockett). Now, I am not going to come here and diss on Akron or demand that anyone eat their words should the Governors win this contest. My hatred and derision is reserved for teams like Murray State - that loathesome bunch of bedwetting crackheads. Insofar as I am concerned, Akron is a very fine school who happens to have a very fine basketball team this year. The only game I want Akron to lose this year is to Austin Peay.

PeayNation, i'll give you the bottom line. The zips are unbeatabe at the JAR. In the last 2 years, the only team that was able to barely squeeze their luck and escape the JAR with a 2-point win was Nevada. They are #10. If you you are not #10 or better (which you are not), you have no hope. No disrespect intended but i don't think the Governors are any better than a good MAC team (OU or WMU) both of which we beat by more than 30 at the JAR.My predictions: Akron by 30 if our guys are on fire.Akron by 12 if we have an off game.
Yes, playing Akron in the JAR is my only concern about playing Akron. I do not really see any matchup problems but my own scouting adventures into Zipsland are spotty at best. Austin Peay is the same way at home and just a couple of seasons ago had the longest home winning streak in the nation at about 30 games. Zips by 12. Reasonable. Zips by 30. Uhm, no.

I think skip-zip was misunderstood... Quade is a 6'-7" F who can high jump 6'-10". There is a reason the Zips lead the conference in blocked shots (and it's not just Quade).As for quickness, Middleton will be blowing by your G on his way to the hoop for an easy layup.And Dru will NOT have the ball stripped as often as you think. He's a very smart PG who's assist/turnover ratio is one of the best. :gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun::gun:

GOVS: 75ZIPS:  73
Nice posts Peaynation. I have enjoyed learning about your team through your posts.Stop back here to zipsnation after the game. Always good to hear the "other side's" perspective.Hey, you should be able to place a nice bet on the money line if your final comes in. Hope your a betting man. :P Anybody want to guess what the spread is going to be? I'm guessing the money line is +350.

GOVS: 75ZIPS:  73
Nice posts Peaynation. I have enjoyed learning about your team through your posts.Stop back here to zipsnation after the game. Always good to hear the "other side's" perspective.Hey, you should be able to place a nice bet on the money line if your final comes in. Hope your a betting man. :P Anybody want to guess what the spread is going to be? I'm guessing the money line is +350.
If the zips were favored by 10 over Ohio (then top 100 rpi) I dont see why the line on this one shouldnt be somewhere in the neighborhood of Zips (-12)

I think both teams are very similiar-Woods is the beast on the boards and can score. Roem is Rome-nuff said. Our guards can pretty much matchup with anyone and shoot with the best of em. We will go 8-9 deep pretty easily, and we have a really good bench that creates matchup problems. The deciding factor will be home court advantage. Zips by 12!!!!

That's why you got Nevada at home this year skip-zip. Be happy you got a top 20 team in your house.

Of course I am biased, but the Govs will either win a close one with defense and crisp shooting 74-70, or they will get blown out of the gym by 30 something. I have to warn zips fans, the Govs are pretty damn good defensively and if they shoot somewhere between 50-60 percent the zips have no chance. There are not many teams that can play with the Govs when they turn up the mad-dog defense. I know the early season losses look bad . . . but this is a much improved team in all areas.I am very interested to see just how much they have improved. This is a measuring stick game.I'm going with the visitors here. Peay wins a close one.

or they will get blown out of the gym by 30 something.
i'm much leaning towards this one! :D Peay in the JAR.... :rofl: No matter what the outcome, I have had many LOLs out of the threads on this game!To all the Peay fans: Thanks for being classy (Translation: Thanks for not be a Can't or OU fan!) :rolleyes:

PeayNation....I hope ZipTrumpeter cleared that up. Quade Millum is not 6'-10". He has HIGH JUMPED 6'-10".If you have someone that can outjump him, I want to see it.PeayYman....we were given a home bracket buster game this year, in exchange for playing a road bracket buster game last year. But you're right, the home game we got against Nevada this year was, I believe, part of that arrangement as well. I don't mean any disrespect to you guys. Heck, there is nothing wrong with being a good OVC team. We were in that league at one time back when I was a student, and I look forward to playing an OVC team again. But, right now, there's just very few teams in the country that could beat us at home. And we've slaughtered plenty of good teams in our own league at home already this year. So, I am being serious when I say that I think you guys can say that you played a good game if you keep the margin under 20 points. BleacherBum......I should have caught that one when I wrote it. It does look funny now that I look back at it.