The future of this team

Valpo Zip

I know that this topic has been discussed sparsely here and there, but it has never had a dedicated thread to see what everyone thinks. I love KD as much as the next guy, even more than the next guy. However, I am affraid that the success that he is achieving at Akron is only temporarily and due to 2 good classes that were recruited during the Hipsher era.I am terribly disappointed by our underclassmen. Linhart is the only contributor. Conyers, McKnight and Rybak are still unable to contribute anything... and didn't show any improvement whatsoever since the beginning of the season. McNeese and Bardoare redshirted for a reason... that's really scary.Is KD unable to evaluate talent when recruiting ? or is he unable to attract the good talents to Akron ? or may be he does recruit good HS talents but fails to develop them into good college players ?Let's take a look at our competitors. If we consider a contributor as someone who averages more than 12 minutes per game, Akron has only one sophomore contributor compared to:Can't has 2 Fr and 3 So Miami has 1 Fr and 4 SoOhio has 1 Fr and 1 SoBG has 5 SoBuffalo has 2 Fr and 4 SoEMU has 3 Fr and 1 SoWMU has 2 Fr and 4 SoCMU has 4 Fr and 1 SoToledo has 3 SoNIU has 2 Fr and 1 SoBall state has 2 Fr and 2 SoAny thoughts ?

I know that this topic has been discussed sparsely here and there, but it has never had a dedicated thread to see what everyone thinks. I love KD as much as the next guy, even more than the next guy. However, I am affraid that the success that he is achieving at Akron is only temporarily and due to 2 good classes that were recruited during the Hipsher era.I am terribly disappointed by our underclassmen. Linhart is the only contributor. Conyers, McKnight and Rybak are still unable to contribute anything... and didn't show any improvement whatsoever since the beginning of the season. McNeese and Bardoare redshirted for a reason... that's really scary.Is KD unable to evaluate talent when recruiting ? or is he unable to attract the good talents to Akron ? or may be he does recruit good HS talents but fails to develop them into good college players ?Let's take a look at our competitors. If we consider a contributor as someone who averages more than 12 minutes per game, Akron has only one sophomore contributor compared to:Can't has 2 Fr and 3 So Miami has 1 Fr and 4 SoOhio has 1 Fr and 1 SoBG has 5 SoBuffalo has 2 Fr and 4 SoEMU has 3 Fr and 1 SoWMU has 2 Fr and 4 SoCMU has 4 Fr and 1 SoToledo has 3 SoNIU has 2 Fr and 1 SoBall state has 2 Fr and 2 SoAny thoughts ?
Well let's take a look at the potential players on the team next year:LOCKS (7)--------------------F-Jeremiah WoodF-Quade MilumF-Nate LinhartF-Chris McKnightG-Nick DialsG-Cedrick MiddletonG-Jimmy ConyersHOLDOVERS (5)--------------------G-Nick GoddardF-John RybakG-Jeremy SalleeG-Zach SowersF-Tim CarrollNEWCOMERS (5)--------------------C-Mike BardoG-Steve McNeesF-Steve SwiechF-Brett McKnightG-Ronnie StewardI'm guessing Sowers and Carroll play elsewhere next season. Even so, the Zips would still be forced to redshirt all three incoming freshmen...not what I want to do. Is there really a future here for Sallee and/or Rybak? I'd much rather see two of the three newcomers dress than those two...

To say McKnight has not contributed anything is very unfair. While his minutes are limited now due to the talent in front of him, you watch and see that in time this kid will be remembered as one of the better big men to wear the blue and gold. Maybe you just can't see enough of it yet, but he's very solid in every aspect. Against Peay he made a play that just impressed the hell out of me. He got the ball down low on the block and the defense swarmed on him. Rather than force one, he quickly kicked it back out for a wide open 3 ball. Very heady stuff for a frosh. Chris also owns a nice soft stroke, great footwork for a big man and he defends well too. He just needs the minutes and he will get them when Rome graduates. I do attend every home game and have done 5 roadies so far this season so I've seen a lot of him. Mark it down now, Chris McKnight will become a BIGTIME STUD for the Zips. To say he does not contribute anything and placing him in the same class as Rybak is an ignorant satement.

FYI - KD recruited EVERY SINGLE player on this team. None of them were recruited by Hipsher. If you have upperclassmen that can hoop, hardly ever will the freshmen see big minutes. To me - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am surely not gonna fault his guy now after what Zips basketball USED TO BE about.

LOCKS (7)--------------------F-Jeremiah Wood ---- Rock solid, proven starterF-Quade Milum ---- Quality bench playerF-Nate Linhart ---- A some what disappointing, up and down contributorF-Chris McKnight ---- The next Rome-eo in the makingG-Nick Dials ---- Like Wood, a rock solid, proven starterG-Cedrick Middleton ---- The man of all heart, probably coming off the benchG-Jimmy Conyers ---- extremely disappointing given the hypeHOLDOVERS (5)--------------------G-Nick Goddard ---- quality walk-onF-John Rybak ---- thee most disappointing playerG-Jeremy Sallee ---- okay walk-on that has provided good minutesG-Zach Sowers ---- nice walk-on who plays his heart outF-Tim Carroll ---- freshman walk-on, has contributed and will be backNEWCOMERS (5)--------------------C-Mike Bardo ---- you can't teach size, reports are that he has made great stridesG-Steve McNees ---- an enigma, suppose to be a quality player, has a lot to proveF-Steve Swiech ---- having a fine senior year in HS, broke his foot, scared off the big boys. Will contribute immediatelyF-Brett McKnight ---- the next Antonio Gates, might be better than his brotherG-Ronnie Steward ---- a true point guard that has a shot at MAC frosh of the year as does B-macThe guard rotation should prove to be interesting. Dials is a lock at the SG. The PGposition depends on how quickly Ronnie Steward can learn the system. Yes, I knowthat Ced will be a senior and has earned the starting role. Initially he will start.But, Ced gives the Zips such a punch coming off the bench. If his ego can handleit, having Ced come in off the bench is worth tons. Steve McNees may and betterdevelop into a serviceable back up guard right away.The post and PF positions are well covered with Wood, Milum, McKnight. Add in Swiech and Bardo and you have depth, youth and TALL. Tall is an important ingredient inwinning at the level the Zips aspire to.That leaves the SF position. A weak link on this year's team. As I watch the gamesI grow more disenchanted with Linhart. Its often like he is in a cloud and unawareof the game around him. This is quite disturbing because early in his freshmanyear he looked so promising. Conyers is to say it kindly, a bust. He plays like a scaredrabbit. He is suppose to be a tough guy. Play like one.That brings me to man of hope. The player most of you have not seen play. I havewatched him play. If he brings his game to Akron next year as a freshman he willdelight you all. He is of course, Brett McKnight, C-mac's little brother. Brett will curethe SF problem. Granted, he is developing into a PF type player. But, having a truepost player, two power forwards and two quick guards seems like a potent team to me.Early season starting line up: C, Wood; PF, Milum; SF, Linhart; SG- Dials; PG, MiddletonMid-season starting line up: C, Swiech; PF, J. Wood; SF, B. McKnight; SG - Dials PG, Middleton or StewardOverall, I am more impressed with the DEPTH of th team than concerning myself withwho starts. These players are capabable of giving 20-25 minutes of intense. wellplayed basketball. Frankly, this will be a better team than the 2006-07 team.

Let's look at year by year......Next Season:Will anyone pick up the slack for Romeo and Dru? Guys like Linhart, Milum, Rybak, McKnight and Conyers need to step up, and quickly!! And where is the point guard out of ths group? Wood, Dials, and Middleton can carry this team to 15+ wins, but they need help. The Season After:Linhart and Wood will be counted on heavily to carry this team. This is when we'll really see if KD can recruit and develop players.

The Akron University mens basketball team is the program that will put the university on the map as an example of what can be done by building from a so-so program (under Hipsher) to one that is taken seriously as an elite program.This will happen by 2012 in Akron.Dambrot is here to stay. He recruits to develop. Most recruits to a school like Akron have raw potential that current major programs are not interested in. The current national powers get players who play a year or two, or, maybe even three - and then, off to the pros.Dambrot rewards those who have worked and worked and worked to hone their skills with on-court time. Some of us think he should "give" the new players more court time. But KD does not believe in giving anybody anything. For him, they have to "earn it the old fashioned way."Anyone who would muse on KD's ability to sustain the program (aka recruiting), is missing what is going on right under his nose. Undoubtedly KD will miscalculate on some (e.g. Rybek, possibly?) but he will hit on most but his success will only become apparent when the player "work in progress" matures.KD repetitively says he does not have the people in place to compete day-in, day-out with the Nevadas, Gonzagas, et cetera. But he is bringing in the raw material that he and his staff will build into an superb program.Only time will tell. But I am willing to bet that he pulls it off and the building blocks are already on the team or committed to coming to Akron.

Who are you going to take time away from to give some of the guys on the bench time? My guess is solid Mid-American teams play 8 maybe 9 guys consistent minutes. With Cedrick, Nick, Quade and Jeremiah gone after next year it makes the visibility of a MAC Championship and NCAA Tournament berth that much more important. If this team can with the tournament and just go to the NCAA Tournament it should open doors for KD that haven't previously been open. Every successful year with KD provides more recruiting material. The ability to replace those four guys coming off the biggest year potentially in the history of the school bodes very very well. I'm extremely excited about Sweich, Steward and McKnight next year -- it has the potential to be one of the best recruiting classes we've seen. I'm not worried about KD's ability to recruit -- in fact I think it's possible for this team to win 20 games next year and beyond. Remember KD's first season this team won 19 games with Romeo and Dru as sophomores.

I like that KD brings in these high school kids and does not rely on JUCOs but I'm a little skeptical about the future. Since our goal is to be among the elite in the MAC year in and year out we have to compare ourselves with the best, and unfortunately it has been Can't State. Looking at the guys they have now plus the top 30 recruiting class they are bringing in we may be in big trouble folks. So then I look at our roster and I see a completely wasted scholarship in Rybak. Linhart is just ok. He plays defense but offensively he takes ill advised shots and seems like a foul machine at times. Then there is "Earth" Quade who has some serious hops and can be lights out when he is on but in the physical games he is nowhere to be found and that's not good. Will McNees and Bardo be able to contribute or will they be two other Rybaks? The jury is still out as we have yet to see. Conyers really needs to pick his game up for us to be any good. I am encouraged by our most recent class. I think McKnight's brother will be a good one. Sweich will probably be a good "big man" as he is not as much of a project as Bardo. I don't know too much about the Stewart kid but he sounds good.Here is the bottom line:The zips MUST win the MAC this year. An early exit from the tourney would be even more devastating than last years debacle. A tourney appearance will but a spark plug into our recruiting efforts, and that is something we do not have right now or will not have if we don't win it all.

I would hesitate to criticize Dambrot's recruiting, especially after this year's signees. Brett McKnight, Steve Sweich and Ronnie Steward are the most touted basketball class ever to walk on campus. I would take them over almost any combination of 2006 MAC recruits.As for some of the disappointing players like Rybak, I will start to complain about that as soon as we need a quality starter and can't find one. As long as Middleton can run the point next season, the Zips should be even better. Wood, Milum, McKnight and Sweich will make up one of the nation's deepest frontcourts.

KD has to get credit for Dru, Rome and Wood all being here. Hipsher wasn't responsible for their recruitment, KD was.But I don't see either Dials or Ced being able to run the point next year. They're both much more natural 2-guards. I've noticed that when Dru's not in the game the opponent presses our backcourt and both Dials and Ced have a really hard time with that. Neither can dribble like Dru. Dru's the team MVP. We're going to sorely miss him next year. So here's to hoping Steward (who is Ohio's top rated PG in this year's senior class) can come in, learn the position, and take Dru's vacated spot right away!I think Sweich will start early in his freshman year as well. With Wood moved over to power forward, we'll probably have the best center & PF in the MAC.So I think KD's recruiting well. But Rybak is a complete waste, and Conyers has been thoroughly disappointing. He doesn't ever look for his shot, create a shot, or drive to the hoop to draw a foul, which is what I was hoping for. I thought it would be nice to have a 6-4 shooting guard (Conyers) out there as oppossed to our current 6-1 guys (Dials and Ced - love both those guys though!)

its really hard to critique either McKnight or Conyers. they played 2 and 5 minutes against AP. and get about that much PT every game. McKnight certainly passes the eye ball test and Conyers looks very athletic. I would guess for a wing player like Conyers who always had the ball in high school has the harder transition and that is clear when he does get on the court. The one thing that scares me is PG. If McNess or Stewart can't run the show and contribute 20-25 min. a game Akron will have problems with teams that can press next year. Every time Dru came out yesterday AP pressed Ced and Dials and each were very sloppy with the ball either turning the ball over or taking too long to set up the offense. Guard play wins titles in college. Aside from that next years team has the potential to be very scary and will be by far the biggest team in the MAC. Heres to winning out! :screwks:

I argee with Rasor that it's puzzling to see any hand-wringing over Dambrot's recruiting.Next year's class is awesome. Steward answers our PG vacancy. McKnight is one of the top players in Ohio and Sweich is probably the premier big-man recruit in the MAC next year. I saw him at the game Saturday...he's no Matt Seibert. He's a wide body who will be ready to contribute immediately. In the Hipsher era, guys like McNees and Bardo would be expected to play major minutes. Dambrot's recruiting depth allows us to redshirt these guys. Milum has progressed nicely. I'm guessing Bardo will follow a similar timetable. Middleton was a late pick up after Allen Hanson backed out of his commitment. Pretty nice guy to have as a fall-back...he's Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson, instant offense coming off the bench.McKnight will be like Travis. I really look forward to seeing him during his sophomore trip through the MAC. Dials is a solid player and a key to our defense.Joyce was a walk on that only Damrot...out of the 300-some D1 coaches in the United States...saw fit to bring in and untimately put on scholarship. He'll leave Akron as the school's all-time assist leader.Conyers - Who knows? I've heard too many good things about him to give up just yet. He had to take a year off with no practice. I'm hopeful a summer of ball with the team and a tour through the MAC will lead to bigger contributions next season.Linhart - He's a solid MAC player. Solid defender and decent shot. He gets sloppy with his passing, but overall, his best basketball is ahead of him.Rybek - Seems like Dambrot missed on him. When trying to project what a 17 year old kid is going to do once he's 21 or 22, you gotta miss once in a while. He's hardly the poster child for bad recruiting. Hell...he'd have been the star recruit in a couple of Hipsher's classes.Dambrot's recruiting is fine. Better than fine, it's boarderline great. My question isn't recruiting, it's whether or not he/we can win big games. Not Austin Peay at home, but Toledo in the MAC title game. Or any team at "The Q." That's the only thing he's got left to prove. Until then, the Zips are Peyton Manning, circa 1998-Jan 2007.

I argee with Rasor that it's puzzling to see any hand-wringing over Dambrot's recruiting.... snip ....Dambrot's recruiting is fine. Better than fine, it's boarderline great. ... snip ....
Great post CK. Nice player assessments.I don't personally understand what everyone is comparing him to. I can only think of 1 maybe 2 Zips from '90-'04 that I would trade for to put on the court with this team.I've said it before & I'll say it again: Fasten your seatbelts Zips fans, and get ready for a fun ride up .. it's underway now, but this season isn't going to see the peak.

When I think of KD, I think he could be the Bill Cowher of the MAC. He could be the guy who wins a ton of games for a long time with talent less than other teams around him. As a fan, it is fun to watch, but there is a heartbreak element to it also. He'll come close a lot of the time to winning the MAC championship and fall short because of talent. He will win a MAC championship at some point because he will field good enough teams that at some point all the cards will fall his way and he will win in Cleveland. The question is not whether KD will win the MAC, but when he will win the MAC.The talent level in the MAC can only get better in the next few years so KD is going to need to improve the talent level on the team. This year may be the year all the cards are falling in place. The league is horrible, Akron has a veteran team that plays hard, the players are coachable, they are winning a lot (they need to keep the momentum up going into Cleveland) and on any night a win against one of the better teams in the league is not wishful thinking.Bill Cowher had to win 140 games before winning the Super Bowl and 149 games total in 15 years (more than any other team in that 15 year period). Let's hope KD doesn't take that long.I don't want to anger the Farking Gods, but this really should be the Zips year.

When I think of KD, I think he could be the Bill Cowher of the MAC. He could be the guy who wins a ton of games for a long time with talent less than other teams around him. As a fan, it is fun to watch, but there is a heartbreak element to it also...........The talent level in the MAC can only get better in the next few years so KD is going to need to improve the talent level on the team. This year may be the year all the cards are falling in place. The league is horrible, Akron has a veteran team that plays hard, the players are coachable, they are winning a lot (they need to keep the momentum up going into Cleveland) and on any night a win against one of the better teams in the league is not wishful thinking.Bill Cowher had to win 140 games before winning the Super Bowl and 149 games total in 15 years (more than any other team in that 15 year period). Let's hope KD doesn't take that long.I don't want to anger the Farking Gods, but this really should be the Zips year.
The only thing I disagree with is that the talent level in the MAC this year is "horrible". I think the talent is thin (i.e. Ohio U., Can't, Miami) but Toledo has a very athletic team and I don't think that they are horrible. Granted there is a large gap in talent between the top teams and teams like Buffalo and Bowling Green, but there are more that enough good teams that can give Akron trouble. While :screwks: you have to give credit to Jim Christian for bring that team along the way he has this year. They will be at the peak of their game whent he MAC tournament is here, and Toledo scares me. Overall I am very happy with the way KD recruits and coaches. The Zips play as a TEAM and that is not something that can be said about all the teams in the MAC. Akron may not have the best athletes, but they do have very good athletes that play together and KD doesn't allow anyone to get a "big head".

What scares me so much about the MAC and about the post-season tourney in Cleveland is that on any given night, any team can be the victim of an upset. We may have... actually, we've already HAD an absolutely great season, but it could all come crashing down in an upset loss at The Q. Ugh, that would be heartbreaking for Dru & Rome! So I'm afraid that if and when we win it all in Cleveland, I may just feel more of a sense of relief rather than joy. Kind of a bummer.