a.d. Interview

Z-P

Did anyone else catch the 1/2 time interview with the a.d. ?It sounded like Frenchy was talking to a "spokesman" for the "victim".Stuff like "Gee, I hope THEY let us have 6 home games in 2009" and similar. What was that? The a.d. should have a plan, and be sounding like "THIS IS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO" not act like a helpless victim...............he sounded to me like an observer and not a MANAGER...........Maybe it was just me...............anyone else catch that?

I tend to agree with z-p on this one. I was also disappointed about the way he acted like he didn't even want to "go there" regarding the new stadium. I realize that he doesn't want to look like he's comitting to a date, because he probably can't at this time. But what's wrong with discussing possibilities?

Hi G.............

Who was he talking about when he said "THEY"?
That's what had me scratching my head too!He mumbled something about "how hard it was" to GET a good schedule. I'm thinking (to myself) That's your job man, suck it up and stand up for your players, fans and coaching staff! I'm thinking what does he mean GET a good schedule with a few home games on it..............get in there and fight for us man! You go fight and GET US a good schedule with at least 6 home games on it.The way I see it, we are OWED home games. Instead of letting "THEM" GIVE us 4 or 5, get in and demand 7 or 8 because we were shorted!From the lack of response to this thread, it looks like no one else heard the interview, and that may be good for the a.d. 's career (meaning if some one above him heard this they'd gag).I'll drop it...............

From the lack of response to this thread, it looks like no one else heard the interview, and that may be good for the a.d. 's career (meaning if some one above him heard this they'd gag).
You have just summed up the history of UofA sports history in one sentence. Nobody is listening. I would love for one of the posters on this board who is really good at researching things (attention DrZ) to look up and see what the actual ratings were for the game yesterday. I mean actual listeners. On second thought, don't...we don't want to do the radio station's work for them. If they find out how low it is, they may not broadcast again.Athletic Directors get away with poor results here because unfortunately very few around the area even care.In terms of the schedule, I have said before that we are limited as to what D-1A teams we can get to come to the Rubber Bowl when there are only a small amount of paying customers. Teams are better off playing a BCS team and getting their ass kicked than coming to the Rubber Bowl and committing financial suicide. The only game Mack could have influenced at all was the CMU game at the end of the season. This is the game where he dropped the ball. We should be playing EMU instead. Other than that, the 12 game schedule does what it was intended to do....prostitute the mid-majors to our pimps in the BCS schools.

the 12 game schedule does what it was intended to do....prostitute the mid-majors to our pimps in the BCS schools.
I disagree.The Ohio State game is the only "pure" money game on our schedule. And I don't think you'd find a Zips player who wouldn't give their left nut for the opportunity to play is the horse shoe on fall Saturday afternoon. We played there a few years ago...nobody died. In fact, if John Fuller doesn't tip that pass into the OSU receiver's hands for a TD, that game is tight going into the 4th quarter. And that Zips team wasn't very good. A 6-6 Marshall team took OSU to the final gun a few years ago. Playing the Buckeye close can be done by a "mid major."Indiana is much closer to a mid-major than it is a BCS pimp. Ditto UConn. If we were an upper-level MAC team, those are winnable games. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting paid a few hundred thousand dollars to play teams that should be roughly your equal. I still contend the game in Cleveland is great. And it should be counted as a home game.There are aspects of the schedule I hate. Especially the weekday November games. I'll save that for another thread on another day.

the 12 game schedule does what it was intended to do....prostitute the mid-majors to our pimps in the BCS schools.
I disagree.The Ohio State game is the only "pure" money game on our schedule. And I don't think you'd find a Zips player who wouldn't give their left nut for the opportunity to play is the horse shoe on fall Saturday afternoon. We played there a few years ago...nobody died. In fact, if John Fuller doesn't tip that pass into the OSU receiver's hands for a TD, that game is tight going into the 4th quarter. And that Zips team wasn't very good. A 6-6 Marshall team took OSU to the final gun a few years ago. Playing the Buckeye close can be done by a "mid major."Indiana is much closer to a mid-major than it is a BCS pimp. Ditto UConn. If we were an upper-level MAC team, those are winnable games. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting paid a few hundred thousand dollars to play teams that should be roughly your equal. I still contend the game in Cleveland is great. And it should be counted as a home game.There are aspects of the schedule I hate. Especially the weekday November games. I'll save that for another thread on another day.
I don't really disagree with anything you said. MAC schools at times play the BCS schools very close. Far more often than not, non-BCS schools lose the game. I would be interested to see what the win/loss records of the non-BCS schools were against the BCS schools the past three years. If six wins is still the magic number to make a bowl, then 2-3 guaranteed losses a year with an almost fourth sure loss make it extremely difficult to make a bowl game.The problem now is that the NCAA has structured football (in all sports actually) so that the BCS schools can improve at a faster pace than the non-BCS schools. Money and exposure are weighted far more in favor of the BCS than say the MAC and they will draw better players because of it. For example, the reduction of scholarships a few years ago improved many non-BCS teams. However, the BCS teams had the resources to improve their scouting and recruiting becoming more efficient than the non-BCS teams (they have fewer scholarships to waste so they reduced wasted scholarship). Now their talent level is accelerating faster than ours even though our talent level is improving. It's like changing the tax code...you can change it, but people with money and a good accountant find other ways around it.Akron must play OSU, IU and UCONN, all BCS schools and all on the road next season. I'll bet you double or nothing on the six pack of Yuengling you still owe me that UofA goes 0-3 in all of these games. It's one thing to compete, it's another thing to win.

Toss in Brandon's dropped punt on the 5 which went for an OSU score and it's even closer. That was a two play game for us. Not many remember.
Don't forget the Bellisari (sp?) missed snap that would have given us the ball on OSU's two yard line had our nose tackle been two inches taller.

I was at home for the game and listened to the whole thing.He was very defensive about the schedule and blamed them (wether is be the NCAA or the MAC) for the handful of home games. He also stated that the Indiana game of moved because of all of the problems the conference had with scheduling.He also was very quiet about the new stadium. French finally asked about it and he dance around and around and really never gave a striaght answer. This scares the hell out me. Hopefully this is not a bad sign........

Nobody is listening.  I would love for one of the posters on this board who is really good at researching things (attention DrZ) to look up and see what the actual ratings were for the game yesterday.  I mean actual listeners.  On second thought, don't...we don't want to do the radio station's work for them.  If they find out how low it is, they may not broadcast again
I don't exactly know how radio works, I know how readership in magazines work.If it is like magazines, you end up paying for that kind of research, or if your companyadvertises with them, they will give you some BS numbers that will make you continue to advertise with them.If you were REALLY serious about it, I would start here (arbitron)

He also was very quiet about the new stadium. French finally asked about it and he dance around and around and really never gave a striaght answer. This scares the hell out me. Hopefully this is not a bad sign........
Maybe I should have told my kids "See those parking lots, houses, dorms, & businesses? That is where we had HOPED to put a new stadium ..." as we walked along the south side of the fieldhouse heading into the game yesterday. :rolleyes: I've already got it in my head that I have less than 10 games to go at the Rubber Bowl. Come on Mack and U of A, get it done!

Akron must play OSU, IU and UCONN, all BCS schools and all on the road next season.  I'll bet you double or nothing on the six pack of Yuengling you still owe me that UofA goes 0-3 in all of these games.  It's one thing to compete, it's another thing to win.
Keep in mind my quote was:
If we were an upper-level MAC team, those are winnable games.
If we are an upper-level MAC team in 2007, we'll win one of those games. Most likely UConn. Will we be an upper-level MAC team next season? Beats me. I thought we were going to be pretty good last season, and it didn't happen. I haven't exacly been giving Jeane Dixson a run for her money lately.Looks like you'll need to wait until the fall for the Yuengling? Maybe by then they's sell the stuff in Ohio? I haven't forgotten. :CK_brew:

:gun: a few weeks ago i sent an e-mail directly to the AD's office and the ticket office...to their credit i got a response..but i was complaining about the scheduling and the new stadim etc...the bottom line..MONEY..doesn't matter to the AD that the players are getting the shit kicked out of them at OSU or Indiana..they are getting a big pay check to help pay off the new stadium...when i asked if season ticket holders would get consideration at the new place the response first DONORS then season ticket holders...don't expect to get a seat at the new place unless you have lots of money...

• 3 weeks later...

ZP - I came down with something so stayed home to listen to the game and heard the interview. My takeaway was Mack got a little overwhelmed with the schedule. I have the sense that the league does not do us any favors and he was taken aback. I was disappointed the way he came across. I was also diasappointed with Mack playing it close to the vest about the stadium. It made me worried that it will not be ready as hoped.What I did like - he made good comments about the coaches, trying to do what we can to keep them happy but within our constraints. When I think of strengths and weaknesses, I see Dambrot kidding with him after games and it seems like he has a good relationship with JD as well. He signed arguably our top 3 coaches KD, Mitchell, and JD to longer contracts with raises. Sure they may not stay, but I would think they all feel appreciated. He has had a huge turnover in coaches and seems to have hired good people. He seems to reach out better to the business community than the common fans but if it gets the stadium built, I am all for that. On the weakside, I hope that some plan is in place to get people excited about the Zips. We have a pretty good product now. It is a lot easier to sell the programs today than what we had 5 years ago. Gameday experience is still a struggle, and we seem in over our head with scheduling.Just some thoughts. Not everyone hits the ground running. This year is the big one for me with the administration. I hope that they hit a home run. And I do think that things will be better than last year.