A possible break for Frye?

Dr Z

Quinn may hold out of Browns' campPosted: Sunday June 03, 2007 12:19PM ETBrowns insiders say there's a good chance agent Tom Condon will hold out Brady Quinn once training camp starts. The Browns, despite trading up to make Quinn their second first-round pick, don't really want the rookie quarterback playing early in his rookie season. Browns coaches would like to see Charlie Frye maintain the job. So far, the Browns and Condon have not done much talking.FanNation's Truth & Rumors

Charlie is gonna have to do a great job to not be lose his spot. everyone is gona be waiting for him to mess up and the moment he throws as much as one interception we will hear the cheers for Brady starting up.and am I the only one who thinks we gave up to much for this guy and that he's not as good as advertised?

No, you're not the only one who thought this was a bad decision. We had much, much bigger problems to address than the quarterback spot. All you had to do was to watch how well Jeff Garcia played in Philadelphia last year to know that. And when you add in that we surrendered next year's first round pick, which would have likely been another high pick, you're not going to be able to add any more high-level talent through the draft for at least two more years. I hate to be negative, but I just have a bad feeling that this whole situation was a big mistake for the Browns, and the post Savage/Crennel administration will be the ones left to deal with the mess. Besides that...I hope Charlie has a chance to throw the ball this year. If not, I hope he gets traded to a place where he has enough talent around him to get a legitimate opportunity to show what he's got.

I just have a bad feeling that this whole situation was a big mistake for the Browns, and the post Savage/Crennel administration will be the ones left to deal with the mess.
It is a mistake. Crennel will be fired this year after winning only four games. He secured a spot at Notre Dame by moving up to get Weis's QB. These favors do not go un-noticed in the Coaching fraternity. He made Weis look good at ND also...

HOLD OUT!?!?!!?!?! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! THE KID EXPECTED TO GO IN THE TOP 3 AND ENDED UP GOING #22. YOU DON'T HOLD OUT! YOU GET YOUR @$$ IN CAMP AND PROVE TO EVERYONE YOU AREN'T THE WHINEY LITTLE CHUMP WHO HAD TO GET A PRIVATE ROOM DURING THE DRAFT! AFTER HE SAID IT'S A LIFE-LONG DREAM TO PLAY FOR THE BROWNS, HE HAS THE BALLS TO SAY HE'S HOLDING OUT? HE IS A PIECE OF GARBAGE! I HATED HIM BEFORE BUT THIS IS THE ICING ON THE CAKE! LONG LIVE CHARLIE!

It's all a game. He says top 5 money, the Browns surely started at what he'd get paid where he was picked...they'll surely meet in the middle. If his agent simply took the Browns first or second offer, he wouldn't be doing his job. As for how it affects Frye, I don't think it does that much to be honest. The only thing that might be affected is the length of time until Charlie is replaced as starter by Quinn (Assuming Frye beats out Anderson, which isn't a given at all). Unless he plays like an All-Pro, Charlie's just keeping the seat warm until he's traded to be someone else's backup. The decision has been made the Charlie is not "the guy", but will be lame-duck QB until someone else steps and and shows they are ready.

That's not true. This situation does indeed affect Charlie's situation in many ways.1) If Quinn does not sign, there's no starting quarterback controversy.2) If Quinn signs and gets big money, the Browns will be more leary about putting him into the lineup until they have a better supporting cast to protect him. Which once again gives Charlie an opportunity to prove his worth to the Browns, or whichever team he eventually gets traded to. There shouldn't be any "meet in the middle". If you get picked where Quinn got picked, you shouldn't get top-5 money. And if Cleveland gives him anything close to that, then they've dug their hole even deeper.

Which once again gives Charlie an opportunity to prove his worth to the Browns, or whichever team he eventually gets traded to.
No GM in his right mind would make a trade for Frye. Most probably have never even thought about him.1. Back-up QBs can be signed without giving anything up for them. If anyone wanted him, they could wait until he gets cut and then pick him up. There isn't much risk in waiting as there is little reward in picking him up.2. All Miami had to give up for Trent Green was a 5th round pick. I don't think the draft has high enough rounds to make is worth giving one up for Frye.3. Most picks after the third round are marginal players and tend to become back ups. Why would anyone trade a back-up pick for a back-up player? A back up QB almost never plays. A back up DB or LB or RB can at least play special teams.4. Why would anyone trade for a player that is unlikely to pan out and has at best 2-3 years left in his professional career?

Isn't Frye an FA after this year? He should be able to sign into a better situation.I'm sure he knows that. BQ not showing up for camp just puts BQ behind and gives Frye more starts toplay for a contract for another team next year.

GP1...actually, several teams have contacted the Browns about Frye. At this point, the Browns are refusing to trade him.
If the Dolphins just gave up a 5th rounder for Trent Green...who's one pedestrian hit away from a career-ending concussion...I would think Frye has some value around the NFL.

GP1...actually, several teams have contacted the Browns about Frye. At this point, the Browns are refusing to trade him.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but can you cite that with some kind of link or quote???I haven't heard a thing about teams asking for Frye and the Browns refusing to trade him. It was my understanding that they shopped him around and couldn't get anything back for him. Why wouldn't they deal Frye for a draft pick if they could get one, especially considering that they signed Quinn and that Anderson is just as good?

"gm phil savage said a couple teams inquired about trading for qb charlie frye, but the browns decided not to let him go." source: plain dealer, 4/30/07.
OK...I just still can't imagine getting anything more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him. Just my opinion though.