Romeo on Cavs' summer league roster

Hope he kicks @ss and earns a roster spot..Other notable names playing for the Cavs are Terrence Dials (hard to believe he was the Big Ten POY just two years ago) and Kevin Pittsnogle. Seems like Daniel Gibson has already proven himself and is not a cut risk, but he's on the roster too:http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/summer_l...ter_070704.html

I hate to be negative but if Romeo is going head to head with Terrence Dials (both of them being PF), i think that Dials will have the edge. I see Dials being the next year's Dwayne Jones, only cheaper maybe. Romeo can have a great career in Europe, just like Rob Preston and Matt Futch.

Let's be honest folks...Romeo Travis has about as good of a shot making an NBA team's final roster as I do marrying Jessica Alba...it's just not going to happen. He was added to the team - as expected - as a favor from Lebron to basically audition for a contract overseas. He and Dru will be playing in Europe...and that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Let's be honest folks...Romeo Travis has about as good of a shot making an NBA team's final roster as I do marrying Jessica Alba...it's just not going to happen. He was added to the team - as expected - as a favor from Lebron to basically audition for a contract overseas. He and Dru will be playing in Europe...and that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
Actually, I'd say Romeo's shot is better than yours. At least an NBA team knows who he is.

Let's be honest folks...Romeo Travis has about as good of a shot making an NBA team's final roster as I do marrying Jessica Alba...it's just not going to happen.  He was added to the team - as expected - as a favor from Lebron to basically audition for a contract overseas.  He and Dru will be playing in Europe...and that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
Actually, I'd say Romeo's shot is better than yours. At least an NBA team knows who he is.
Ooooohhh got me there! :lol: But I do ask this...do you think the Cavaliers would really know he was if he wasn't buds with Lebron?

My guess is if you are invited to an NBA pre-draft camp -- the teams that play in the league (The Cavs) know who you are. do you recall a guy who played with Chicago when rodman played there --- he was rodman's caddie -- nothing more nothing less -- why can't romeo be that for the Cavs. David wesley was on the roster all year. He would have be just as helpful on the court as david wesley.

My guess is if you are invited to an NBA pre-draft camp -- the teams that play in the league (The Cavs) know who you are. do you recall a guy who played with Chicago when rodman played there --- he was rodman's caddie -- nothing more nothing less -- why can't romeo be that for the Cavs. David wesley was on the roster all year. He would have be just as helpful on the court as david wesley.
I'll repeat - Romeo gets recognition by NBA squads because of Lebron. And why waste a roster spot on Travis? Sure, Wesley didn't do anything on the court this year, but he did bring a veteran presence to the team. He averaged double figures for 10 straight years in the NBA. I'm guessing he had a great effect on the Cavs' younger players, having "been there before"...that's why teams bring in vets like Wesley. Comparing him to Travis is just silly IMO.

Let's be honest folks...Romeo Travis has about as good of a shot making an NBA team's final roster as I do marrying Jessica Alba...it's just not going to happen.  He was added to the team - as expected - as a favor from Lebron to basically audition for a contract overseas.  He and Dru will be playing in Europe...and that's certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
Ooooohhh got me there! :lol: But I do ask this...do you think the Cavaliers would really know he was if he wasn't buds with Lebron?
I was just having fun with you. Glad you took my comment in the spirit it was meant. ;) Yes, LeBron is probably the reason that Romeo is on the Cavs summer league roster. But, LeBron helping Romeo is no different than me or you helping any of our friends. Romeo gets his chance, and the Cavs will decide. Good for Romeo, good for LeBron, and good for the Cavs. If Romeo doesn't pan out for them, the worst they have done is indulge their superstar.

I was just having fun with you. Glad you took my comment in the spirit it was meant. ;) Yes, LeBron is probably the reason that Romeo is on the Cavs summer league roster. But, LeBron helping Romeo is no different than me or you helping any of our friends. Romeo gets his chance, and the Cavs will decide. Good for Romeo, good for LeBron, and good for the Cavs. If Romeo doesn't pan out for them, the worst they have done is indulge their superstar.
Haha I knew it was all in good fun...don't worry :thumb: And don't get me wrong on the whole Romeo situation...I think it's great for him and think it will lead to him getting a nice offer from a European squad. I just don't think the people who honestly think it'd be a good decision for the Cavs to give him a roster spot are thinking very clearly, that's all.

I just don't think the people who honestly think it'd be a good decision for the Cavs to give him a roster spot are thinking very clearly, that's all.
I don't think anyone has stated Romeo will, or should get a roster spot. What people have stated above is, if he were given a roster spot, the Cavs would win no more, or no fewer games than if Wesley/Pollard/Newble/Chuck Nevitt/ML Carr or any other end-of-the-bench, towel-waving stiff were there. And, the Cavs would save a huge chunk of money.

I just don't think the people who honestly think it'd be a good decision for the Cavs to give him a roster spot are thinking very clearly, that's all.
I don't think anyone has stated Romeo will, or should get a roster spot. What people have stated above is, if he were given a roster spot, the Cavs would win no more, or no fewer games than if Wesley/Pollard/Newble/Chuck Nevitt/ML Carr or any other end-of-the-bench, towel-waving stiff were there. And, the Cavs would save a huge chunk of money.
When Newble was first brought in, he was an excellent defender...the move would've been great if it weren't for the length of the contract, because his skills have diminished over the past season or so. Travis does not have any overly outstanding facet of his game. Pollard may be a stiff, but he's 6'11" and has a lot of NBA experience...he provides depth at center should the other big men get into foul trouble or should someone get hurt. Romeo could not provide that same kind of depth. Newble, Pollard, Wesley...at this point in their careers, none of them are good NBA players. But they are and have been good enough to stick in the NBA, and are guys who could step in - if needed - and give you some minutes without hurting the team. I'm not sure I could say the same for Romeo. He was a very good college player who will be needing a passport soon. And like I said before, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But with his size and overall ability, he would be an absolute waste of a roster spot, even at the league minimum.

I hate to be negative but if Romeo is going head to head with Terrence Dials (both of them being PF), i think that Dials will have the edge. I see Dials being the next year's Dwayne Jones, only cheaper maybe. Romeo can have a great career in Europe, just like Rob Preston and Matt Futch.
For what it's worth, Dials is still listed as a center on the Cavs site.As far as whether Travis is "wasting" a summer league roster spot, I think we are selling him a bit short here. He was, after all, POY in a D1 conference. That alone makes a summer league look justifiable. Certainly, players have come from less auspicious backgrounds/resumes and gone on to succeed in the NBA (And NFL. And MLB.). I hope the Cavs give him every chance to make this team. Not for LeBron, but for themselves.

When I first heard this, I thought maybe Romeo could be like Chase Blackburn. Blackburn was a guy who needed a shot to prove himself to the NFL and he did it in the Browns spring camp. The Browns cut him and the Giants picked him up and Blackburn has become a reliable player for NY. The Browns cut the wrong Zip that year. My initial thoughts were wrong though.Chase was an NFL talen in the wrong defense playing a position he was not designed to play. He had the speed and size to make an NFL team though.Romeo doesn't have the outside shot he would need to play in the NBA and he doesn't have the size to compete in the middle.Stranger things have happened though.

Sure, Romeo may have gotten on the CAVS summer league team because of his connection with LeBron, but he's the MAC Player of the Year. It's not as if this is an absolute gift. He's earned at least a chance at making an NBA team.Some stiffs end up getting onto NBA teams. But just because we don't regard them as NBA level players, it doesn't mean that they don't serve a role for the team they are on.For instance, a guy like Pollard can fill some space in the middle if everyone gets into foul trouble. So, he is essentially an insurance policy.Newble had a great outside shot, and was a very good defender. But I have to think his days are now numbered. Brown?...they are still hoping to develop him.My point is, even some of the guys at the end of the bench are there for a reason. But, at the NBA level, what can Romeo really accomplish?He won't be able to score in the post against NBA-size players.He's only a fair jump shooter.He'd have a difficult time rebounding because of size disadvantages.He wouldn't be able to guard most NBA forwards. I'd love to see him make an NBA team. But, I just don't see what he can offer, even as an end-of-the-bench role player. So, his chances still remain pretty darn slim at this point.

Ok so basically everyone knew that he was going to get a shot with the cavs, and if you didnt your dumb. But tearing him a new one before he has done anything at the level is not cool. We dont know what he could if he and lebron were on the same court again at the same time. The last time they were playing on the same team was when they won the state title. They have a chemistry that most players have to work a long time to have. Im not saying he will make it, i hope he does, two hometown guys on the same team, thats money, But dont rule him out before anything begins.