It is July 10th

It is July 10th -- What has U of A done to get people to come to Cleveland to see the Zips and Army?Here's what NIU has done with it's game vs Iowa:_________________________________________________________________________ NIU - Iowa is a sell-outDeKALB, Ill. * The *Soldier Field Showdown* is sold out. Thefootball game between Northern Illinois and Iowa to be played at thehistoric Chicago stadium Sept. 1 at 2:30 p.m. is officially a sell-out,according to officials from both schools. The game will mark the largest home crowd in NIU football history.NIU began selling tickets to the game, the first Football BowlSubdivision (FBS) game scheduled for the facility since its renovationin 2003, on Feb. 8 and tickets were made available via Ticketmaster on June 21. Soldier Field seats 61,500 people and as of Monday, no tickets remain on either Ticketmaster or through the NIU and Iowa ticket offices.*This is a historic occasion for Northern Illinois University and forthe Huskie football program,* said NIU Associate VicePresident/Director of Athletics Jim Phillips. *When discussions aboutthe opportunity for Northern Illinois and Iowa to play at Soldier Fieldbegan, this is the kind of response both schools envisioned. Chicago is a great sports town and the response of NIU fans, Iowa fans and college football fans in the city has been overwhelming. We*re looking forward to a beautiful Labor Day Weekend in Chicago and a tremendous game at Soldier Field on Sept. 1.*The contest marks the first appearance for both Iowa and NorthernIllinois at the Chicago lakefront site. It will be televised by ESPNU.Last year, Iowa defeated NIU, 24-14, in Iowa City in a game that wasnot decided until the fourth quarter. The Huskies are coming off a 7-6 season which culminated in NIU*s second bowl appearance in the last three years, at the 2006 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl.Tickets were sold for $55.50 for seats on the 100 and 200 levels aswell as sideline 300-level seats, and $44.40 for remaining 300-levelseats and 400-level sideline locations. In addition, student ticketswere made available to Northern Illinois students for $27.75 each.Northern Illinois* last official sell out came during the 2004 seasonat Huskie Stadium in DeKalb when the homecoming contest versus Southern Illinois drew 28,071 fans. In 2003, games versus Maryland, Iowa State and Western Michigan were sold out with the record crowd of 28,221 set versus Western Michigan on Oct. 18.

What has U of A done to get people to come to Cleveland to see the Zips and Army?
The University is depending on us to do the advertising.
I made a flyer and stapled it to the pole at the corner of exchange and brown.I'm thinking of spray painting it on a bridge on 77.What are YOUUUU doing? Don't just wait on the University to do EVERYTHING CK. :lol:

I'd like to know the share of the revenue UofA gets for the Patriot Bowl before I get too excited about what they are doing or not doing. It seems to me that it is a game sponsored by someone outside of UofA. I have heard the usual radio spots about it on Cleveland radio and there is an electronic billboard running at Browns Stadium at the east and west end zones. Historically, this type of promotion has failed miserably for UofA. I have no doubt it will fail here as well.On the surface, let's compare the two games. A weekend in Chicago vs a weekend in Cleveland. Chicago wins.An in state team (NIU) vs. a BCS bowl participant from a state with absolutely nothing to do in it and adjacent to Illinios. This compared to a historically bad D-1A program vs. a very bad Army team with a large national following that has no desire to go to Cleveland for a vacation. The Chicago game will be like a home game for Iowa. Chicago wins.MAC vs. Big Ten.......MAC vs. CUSA. Chicago wins again.Really heavy drinkers in need of another excuse to drink (Cleveland) vs. really, really really heavy drinkers in need of another excuse to drink (Chicago). Chicago wins. More people turn out to be happy than miserable.Chicago is a much better sports town than Cleveland. They also have a Big Ten team in town which sparks interest.The fans of Dekalb want to support NIU...they get good crowds. The state of Iowa wants to support UofI. If they get a huge crowd in San Antonio for a bowl game, more will certainly drive to Chicago for a holiday weekend. Army, who knows? We know that the people of Akron won't go to a game unless the tickets are free. Chicago wins.The Chicago game is much more easy to sell than the Cleveland game. Nobody should be surprised that game is sold out already. Nobody should be surprised if less than 25,000 show up to Cleveland.Have a good day eveyone.

my evil plans:1) put up flyers at every rest stop in the SoutWest "Army amnesty day! One day only, the U.S. army will hand out citizenship papers to all who appear at cleveland browns stadium on Sept.1, 2007"2) Spreads rumor: U.S. Army UAAVs (unmanned aerial ATM vehicles) will dispense cash from 300ft over Cleveland Browns stadium during the patriot bowl.3) Pay David Blaine and Silvia Brown to publicly announced that Cleveland Browns Stadium will receive a baptism of good karma and good luck for 2007 if the Zips win in front of a large crowd.

I'd like to know the share of the revenue UofA gets for the Patriot Bowl before I get too excited about what they are doing or not doing. It seems to me that it is a game sponsored by someone outside of UofA. I have heard the usual radio spots about it on Cleveland radio and there is an electronic billboard running at Browns Stadium at the east and west end zones. Historically, this type of promotion has failed miserably for UofA. I have no doubt it will fail here as well.On the surface, let's compare the two games. A weekend in Chicago vs a weekend in Cleveland. Chicago wins.An in state team (NIU) vs. a BCS bowl participant from a state with absolutely nothing to do in it and adjacent to Illinios. This compared to a historically bad D-1A program vs. a very bad Army team with a large national following that has no desire to go to Cleveland for a vacation. The Chicago game will be like a home game for Iowa. Chicago wins.MAC vs. Big Ten.......MAC vs. CUSA. Chicago wins again.Really heavy drinkers in need of another excuse to drink (Cleveland) vs. really, really really heavy drinkers in need of another excuse to drink (Chicago). Chicago wins. More people turn out to be happy than miserable.Chicago is a much better sports town than Cleveland. They also have a Big Ten team in town which sparks interest.The fans of Dekalb want to support NIU...they get good crowds. The state of Iowa wants to support UofI. If they get a huge crowd in San Antonio for a bowl game, more will certainly drive to Chicago for a holiday weekend. Army, who knows? We know that the people of Akron won't go to a game unless the tickets are free. Chicago wins.The Chicago game is much more easy to sell than the Cleveland game. Nobody should be surprised that game is sold out already. Nobody should be surprised if less than 25,000 show up to Cleveland.Have a good day eveyone.
I'm not comparing anything about the game other than the level of promotion. To me, there has been virtually no promotion of our game to-date. I hope it changes. If anyone so much as lifts a finger to promote it, it will draw 35k+.FYI - The K.e.n.t. game will sell out this year. That will put UA's home attendance average at 30k/game after 2 games.

I'd like to know the share of the revenue UofA gets for the Patriot Bowl before I get too excited about what they are doing or not doing.  It seems to me that it is a game sponsored by someone outside of UofA.  I have heard the usual radio spots about it on Cleveland radio and there is an electronic billboard running at Browns Stadium at the east and west end zones.  Historically, this type of promotion has failed miserably for UofA.  I have no doubt it will fail here as well.On the surface, let's compare the two games.  A weekend in Chicago vs a weekend in Cleveland.  Chicago wins.An in state team (NIU) vs. a BCS bowl participant from a state with absolutely nothing to do in it and adjacent to Illinios.  This compared to a historically bad D-1A program vs. a very bad Army team with a large national following that has no desire to go to Cleveland for a vacation.  The Chicago game will be like a home game for Iowa.  Chicago wins.MAC vs. Big Ten.......MAC vs. CUSA.  Chicago wins again.Really heavy drinkers in need of another excuse to drink (Cleveland) vs.  really, really really heavy drinkers in need of another excuse to drink (Chicago).  Chicago wins.  More people turn out to be happy than miserable.Chicago is a much better sports town than Cleveland.  They also have a Big Ten team in town which sparks interest.The fans of Dekalb want to support NIU...they get good crowds.  The state of Iowa wants to support UofI.  If they get a huge crowd in San Antonio for a bowl game, more will certainly drive to Chicago for a holiday weekend.  Army, who knows?  We know that the people of Akron won't go to a game unless the tickets are free.  Chicago wins.The Chicago game is much more easy to sell than the Cleveland game.  Nobody should be surprised that game is sold out already.  Nobody should be surprised if less than 25,000 show up to Cleveland.Have a good day eveyone.
I'm not comparing anything about the game other than the level of promotion. To me, there has been virtually no promotion of our game to-date. I hope it changes. If anyone so much as lifts a finger to promote it, it will draw 35k+.FYI - The K.e.n.t. game will sell out this year. That will put UA's home attendance average at 30k/game after 2 games.
I understand what you are saying. I'm just trying to point out the problems they may have selling tickets. I'm the guy who thinks there should be 20,000 at every game at the RB because I think MAC entertainment is that good. The same with the basketball team......I have no idea why they don't sell out evey MAC game. The JAR only holds 5,500 and the entertainment is excellent.IMHO the game is being promoted in all the ways that have failed in the past. 35,000 tickets is possible, but not with billboards and radio ads on WKNR. I just don't know what amount of money Akron gets out of this game. If it is a lot, they should put a lot of effort into it. If there is some community non-profit backing the Patriot Bowl that will get an amount of money that does not make it financially cost effective to promote the game on their own, they shouldn't do much. One of the key drivers for this game will be Akron season tickets as both this game and OSU tickets can be included. This is a ripe year for selling Akron tickets.I'd like to know how full JD's, KD's and Kest's speaking schedules have been this summer. Time is running out quickly for JD's schedule. Tic Toc............

I'm not comparing anything about the game other than the level of promotion. To me, there has been virtually no promotion of our game to-date.
It's July. When you look around the collegiate football Universe, everyone else has already had their big push for season ticket sales. Promoting the game in Cleveland (from this point forward) will only pick up some single game tickets. The biggest dent for tickets sales should have already happened. Waiting for the last minute to reach any goal is not productive in any business.
I'd like to know how full JD's, KD's and Kest's speaking schedules have been this summer.
GP1 raises a very good point. Has anyone on this board heard of any of our coaches speaking in the community?

It's July. When you look around the collegiate football Universe, everyone else has already had their big push for season ticket sales. Promoting the game in Cleveland (from this point forward) will only pick up some single game tickets. The biggest dent for tickets sales should have already happened. Waiting for the last minute to reach any goal is not productive in any business.
Even K.e.n.t has launched their billboard and Marketing campaign...however lame...already. Is Akron being blitzed with the "Roo City" campaign yet?

MAC vs. Big Ten.......MAC vs. CUSA.  Chicago wins again.
Small correction... Army is no longer in CUSA... have been independent again for a couple of years now...Also, from Patriot Bowl official announcement in May: "First-year attendance for the Patriot Bowl at Cleveland Browns Stadium is expected to be in the 30-40,000 range."I would imagine First Merit is buying tickets and giving them away to military familes??? I'm guessing it's going to feel more like a road game...Start time is 7:00 pm as well....

BG AD's take on Patriot Bowl....http://bgsufalcons.cstv.com/genrel/052307aac.htmlQ: When will BG play in the Patriot Bowl?KurtBerea, Ohio The Patriot Bowl is a new regular-season series that matches up a MAC opponent with one of the service academies. Games will be played in early September, preferably over Labor Day Weekend, in Cleveland at Browns Stadium. The inaugural game pits Akron against Army this fall. My understanding from the Cleveland Sports Commission and the MAC office is that a three-year commitment exists, with hope that the series will continue long-term. While on one hand, the Patriot Bowl presents a nice opportunity, I am hesitant to commit BGSU given the current structure. My reasons are two-fold: First, our experience in Cleveland with the Wisconsin game was two-sided. The players and fans that attended enjoyed a first-rate event. Unfortunately, the business aspects of the game didn't match expectations: attendance and game sponsorships lagged. Second, the only way the Patriot Bowl makes sense to me is if the game becomes an "extra" home game. As it stands, the schools playing in the Patriot Bowl are giving up a home game to play in Cleveland - similar to what we did with Wisconsin. Many have heard me say that our priority is playing games in The Doyt and working toward six home games each fall. Thus the short answer to your question is that BGSU has no immediate plans to participate in the Patriot Bowl. Blogger's take:http://orangeandbrown.blogspot.com/2007/05...er-answers.htmlFirst, I 100% applaud the goal of getting six games at the Doyt every year. That is the only way to build a fan base--to have enough opportunities for people to build attraction to the place and the team. And, if going to Cleveland didn't net us any $$, all the more reason to play at home. I am 100% in favor of us scheduling 6 Doytgames, even if one of them has to be a I-AA team.Having said that, I didn't think it was a big deal for one time every 5-6 years to have five home games and one of them in Cleveland. If it is rare enough to be special, I was OK with it. I was not crazy about the Cleveland game in the first place, but we went and ended up having a good time.Now, the Patriot Bowl was supposed to include the Ohio MAC schools--Can't, Akron, BG, Miami, Toledo and OU, on a rotating basis. Miami and OU might have additional reasons to not participate, given they are so far from Cleveland. If they aren't in, and BG isn't it, that leaves Toledo, Can't and Akron. Thing is--if the MAC isn't careful, they are going to rotate Can't and Akron up there, and that's an Rx for failure.Finally, this. If the Cleveland Sports Authority does a good job with the game, gets corporate involvement and turns it into a cash machine, then I think opinions (including BG's) will change.

I believe that most of the difference between our game, and the sellout of the Chicago game, really comes down to two factors.1) It's a Big Ten team.2) Their campus is only 200 miles away.What if we were playing Penn State at Browns Stadium? A Big Ten school with a campus only about 4-5 hours away? And NIU was playing Army in Chicago?I think you'd see a complete reversal of the scenario that is shaping up right now.This is not to say that we should throw in the towel on this one. But, there are factors with the Chicago game that just make it a natural sell.

Skipzip is spot on-- and used the exact example I would have used (Penn State). Army is not going to draw because it is, well, Army. If we played Penn State we would have a near sell-out. And clealry (and most unfortunately, as I have frequently harped on) Toledo-Ohio State will sell out next year.Capt point, however, should not be lost: it sounds like there is little to no promotion going on for Zip football in general and the patriot thing in particular.

25,000 or less will show up for this game sorry. Like I said, you need your average fan base of 17000 at this game, as well as 8000 more Army fans in NE-Ohio; and I just don't see it on Labor Day.I'd love to see you guys get 35-40k at this game, but I just don't see it happening.

I hope after the stadium announcement, they bill the Can't game as the last ever at the Rubber Bowl, bring back some old players and play the historic angle. The Indians sold out the weekend series in 93 before Jacobs field doing that. And they had very mediocre attendance that year.