JUST GO TO THE GAMES!

74ZIP

:thumb: why don't we ALL just go to the games,watch the coaches and players and then decide...this constant unfounded speculation is really tiresome....and REAL fans will go to the games and if they are as knowledgable as they think ...then put in their 2 cents...see you in section 6?

why don't we ALL just go to the games
Okay.I bet if the public knew when, and what time the games where, they might go too.If there was only a way to get a big poster and hang it over a major highway in Akron...now that would be cool. :rolleyes:PS I still remember the Jason Taylor one on Exchange Street a long time ago. I wish I took a photo of that.PSS I will be taking a photo of the new Portage County Pansy one on 43 soon for a new contest, stay tuned...

Okay.I bet if the public knew when, and what time the games where, they might go too.If there was only a way to get a big poster and hang it over a major highway in Akron...now that would be cool. :rolleyes:PS I still remember the Jason Taylor one on Exchange Street a long time ago. I wish I took a photo of that.PSS I will be taking a photo of the new Portage County Pansy one on 43 soon for a new contest, stay tuned...
I think the University should take advantage of the new digital/electronic billboards on Rt 8, Interstate 77 and on Interstate 76 to promote our teams more. Start putting up schedules, pictures and whatever. Those new billboards really catch your attention. Start advertising!!! :champs:

I think the University should take advantage of the new digital/electronic billboards on Rt 8, Interstate 77 and on Interstate 76 to promote our teams more.  Start putting up schedules, pictures and whatever. Those new billboards really catch your attention. Start advertising!!! :champs:
Word on the street is that they will be taking advantage of one of those billboards......for the Westfield Cup. I saw a demo of it and it looked great, but no word yet on whether or not the football season will be hyped.

I think the University should take advantage of the new digital/electronic billboards on Rt 8, Interstate 77 and on Interstate 76 to promote our teams more. Start putting up schedules, pictures and whatever. Those new billboards really catch your attention. Start advertising!!! :champs:
Yes, they should start advertising, but billboards are not the way to go. History has proven to us that billboards don't work. They may sell other things, but Zip tickets are not one of them. Let Can't have every one of them if they want. They will get the same results we did.......poor.My understanding is that ticket sales are up from last year (they were up last year as well). OSU is probably a good reason for that, but they are still up and that's all that matters. All done without a single billboard. Amazing.I don't know what to make of our current marketing department. I may not always agree with them, but they seem to be getting results after years of declining ticket sales. They must know something I don't. Results are all that matter.Media guide looks good too.

I agree with most of what you say. However, a billboard's biggest asset is not direct ticket sales, it is brand awareness. The act of creating public awareness of our specific brand in order to maximize its recognition. If potential ticket buyers do not know about a team, they will not purchase a ticket. The goal of any team should be to build brand awareness, albeit in as cost-effective manner.The benefits of an inexpensive billboard totally outweigh the cost.Even the Portage County Pansies get it.

Yes, they should start advertising, but billboards are not the way to go. History has proven to us that billboards don't work. They may sell other things, but Zip tickets are not one of them. Let Can't have every one of them if they want. They will get the same results we did.......poor.My understanding is that ticket sales are up from last year (they were up last year as well). OSU is probably a good reason for that, but they are still up and that's all that matters. All done without a single billboard. Amazing.I don't know what to make of our current marketing department. I may not always agree with them, but they seem to be getting results after years of declining ticket sales. They must know something I don't. Results are all that matter.Media guide looks good too.
I agree with Dr Z. We just need to be seen as much as possible. That along with winning games will build awareness and support. I'm not a huge fan of billboards either, but I will tell you that everytime I drive by one of those new electronic billboards I can't help but look at it. :thumb:

I agree with Dr Z. We just need to be seen as much as possible. That along with winning games will build awareness and support. I'm not a huge fan of billboards either, but I will tell you that everytime I drive by one of those new electronic billboards I can't help but look at it. :thumb:
I agree with Dr. Z also. We might think it doesn't affect ticket sales but it does put it in the back of peoples minds. In fact since I don't see that many billboards I try to be the biggest billboard I can be. As a fan and alumnus I feel it's important to talk up the school as much as possible. A lot of people at my work have begun to take notice of the team, so it is having some positive affect.

wear your Zips gear year-round... get Zips license plates (helps with scholarships and is tax deductable)... put Zips stickers in your car windows... hang Zips posters/schedules/etc. on your office/cubicle walls... fly a Zips flag at your house... there's tons of ideas we all can do to help with brand awareness.

The truth is, the U is certainly limited by budget. Every MAC team losses tons of money on football, and accordingly must make sure they do not overspend and turn the situation into a financial disaster. Making a big investment in marketing just does not do a whole lot to generate the substantial amount of revenue that's needed to make up that enormous deficit. If we want to build "brand awareness", it is up to each one of us to display our Akron pride. Personally, I do not own ANY Ohio State gear, and never will. Everything I have is Akron, and I encourage all of my fellow alums to do the same. So, we can make a difference on our own.

If we happen to beat OSU, which is very unlikely, the Zips will have a huge target on their backs for years to come. The local fans will be split, unsure who to cheer for. We will make a lot of enemies and gain a lot of new fans under that scenario, there will be cries of cheating (Remember Chuck Amato's "academic non-qualifier" excuse? It will be a thousand times worse), every game would be sold out for the next two years, and those of us who have made it know to friend, family, and the general community that we were Zips fans long before that game will be badgered constantly about how they did it. We'll here remarks like ""Hey, your Zips really took it to them" and the like. It will replace all normal conversation points for at least nine months. It's a mixed bag for the community, but it would be the ultimate way to promote UA Zips "brand awareness".It all comes down to winning the games you should, and pulling off a few upsets every year. Win your bowl games. Recruit better talent. Win more games. Rinse. Repeat.

Guys, listen..........there is absolutely no evidence that those billboards do anything to improve ticket sales. If any of you have evidece that it does, please let us all know. The reality is that up until last year, ticket sales were on a steady decline. Everything comes down to sales. Brand awareness isn't the problem. 50% of the people living in NE Ohio probably know UofA has a football team. 95% of alumni living in NE Ohio probably know they have a football team. We've been reminding them with billboards for the past 20 years and nobody came. They have a cultural and sales problem created by the inbreeding in college athletics and a generally apathetic community, which I've gone into several times on this board, that billboards are not going to overcome.If billboards are indeed cheap, then the saying "you get what you pay for" immediately comes to mind. If they were effective, they would be in more demand and they could charge more for them. I live in Akron, for now, and I swear to God, I have no idea where these electronic billboards are located.

Brand awareness isn't the problem.  50% of the people living in NE Ohio probably know UofA has a football team.  95% of alumni living in NE Ohio probably know they have a football team.  We've been reminding them with billboards for the past 20 years and nobody came. 
I don't think anybody thinks this is the ONLY way we should make people aware of the team (date & time of the games would be nice.) You actually have to have an interesting brand to advertise to make it successful. I believe the difference between then, and now is the fact that we do have a good brand now (better team, logo, slogan & awareness.)THIS is the time to make the locals aware (or remind them). I'm sure I can afford to put a billboard for three months.I'm sure the University can.

I live in Akron, for now, and I swear to God, I have no idea where these electronic billboards are located.
Drive on Route 8 south just past campus. Be sure to do it at night for the full effect. It's on the right.
FYI. The one on Interstate 76 is just before the Rt 91 underpass heading eastbound. The Interstate 77 billboard is between Copley Rd and White Pond Dr. :cheers:

I live in Akron, for now, and I swear to God, I have no idea where these electronic billboards are located.
Drive on Route 8 south just past campus. Be sure to do it at night for the full effect. It's on the right.
FYI. The one on Interstate 76 is just before the Rt 91 underpass heading eastbound. The Interstate 77 billboard is between Copley Rd and White Pond Dr. :cheers:
There is also one on 224 heading east before the Waterloo Rd/Manchester Rd exit.

We've been reminding them with billboards for the past 20 years and nobody came.
Was it because the billboards weren't effective...or was it because the team's performance over the past 20 years varied between horrible and mediocre?It must have been that the billboards were ineffective, because who in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to watch a 4-8 Lee Owens team...a 1-10 Gerry Faust team...a defense that both bended AND broke for 20 consecutive years...and on and on...

The Browns still sell out and they suck.I truly beleive that a fresh new stadium on campus will help us draw.I have gone to nearly every home game over the past 25 years. I hate the rubber bowl. If I was a casual fan instead of a diehard fan, I wouldn't go to that sh**hole.

The Browns still sell out and they suck.
They must use a ton of billboards to do that.BTW - The whole "Browns sell out and they suck" thing is a phony as the Zips saying they averaged 16k last year. I saw the Browns games on TV last year. The stadium was 60% full at best. And much worse in the 2nd halves. Hardly sellouts.If the Zips had a marketing machine like the Browns...multiple TV and radio stations pimping them across the state constantly...if they had a history like the Browns...etc then it would be an even comparison. The Zips were bad for 20 years, had no TV exposure, no championships, one AM radio station, no coaches show, a crap stadium...yes, it was the billboards that didn't generate ticket sales. Had to be those billboards. :lol:

The Browns won't continue to sell out if they continue to stink. And one only needs to look at the Indians to see how hard it is to even rebuild an active fan base once you lose it.I agree, more people will come to a new stadium than the old one. First of all, no splinters! Second of all, "let's check out the new stadium". The key is to have a huge year that first year to get the people who come to want to come back. Being on campus also opens up the possibility for some better attendance from the casual student.Perhaps the key to increasing attendance at football games, though, is the basketball team. Huh? I think it is easier to build a following in basketball, even if football is more loved. The reason is the opportunity to turn a good season into a big attention getter. If the Zips football team has a strong season, they go to the GMAC bowl and 10 people watch it on TV. If the Zips basketball team has a strong season and makes the tournament, there's coverage everywhere and, win a game or two, and you've got ESPN all over you.Make the basketball tournament and a decent showing in the tourney to get the attention of the locals, then open a new stadium for football the next year. Strong basketball season + strong football season = fan base increased.Or, maybe I just think that because I like basketball more...

The Browns won't continue to sell out if they continue to stink. And one only needs to look at the Indians to see how hard it is to even rebuild an active fan base once you lose it.I agree, more people will come to a new stadium than the old one. First of all, no splinters! Second of all, "let's check out the new stadium". The key is to have a huge year that first year to get the people who come to want to come back. Being on campus also opens up the possibility for some better attendance from the casual student.Perhaps the key to increasing attendance at football games, though, is the basketball team. Huh? I think it is easier to build a following in basketball, even if football is more loved. The reason is the opportunity to turn a good season into a big attention getter. If the Zips football team has a strong season, they go to the GMAC bowl and 10 people watch it on TV. If the Zips basketball team has a strong season and makes the tournament, there's coverage everywhere and, win a game or two, and you've got ESPN all over you.Make the basketball tournament and a decent showing in the tourney to get the attention of the locals, then open a new stadium for football the next year. Strong basketball season + strong football season = fan base increased.Or, maybe I just think that because I like basketball more...
I disagree that the GMAC bowl...or any other bowl gives the University negligible recognition. I travel very frequently, and when the Zips Motor City Bowl game approached I got a ton of props in airports from LA to Charlotte. When the Zips beat NC State in football last season, a guy in Myrtle Beach told my vacationing buddy "I never even HEARD of Akron until last week." Look how Boise State has become a prominent name on the national scene. It can happen in Akron too.It can also happen in hoops. Bryce Drew's three point shot put Valpariso on the national hoops map. You'd never have heard of Winthrop if their hoops program weren't so good.I hope we get to find out what exposure an NCAA bid would give to the Zips. To do so, we'll have to quit blowing games versus inferior teams at The Q at some point. :wall:

Captain, I think you might be making my point for me. Boise State went to the Fiesta Bowl, not the GMAC Bowl, and they finished undefeated. If we're counting on that, we'll likely be waiting a while. Akron went to the GMAC bowl, but when they beat NC State AFTER that, a guy in Myrtle Beach commented to your buddy that he never even heard of Akron. The GMAC Bowl apparently didn't give us that much exposure.The point I was trying to make was that getting exposure in basketball is "easier" than in football. You don't have to be Top 10 to make the news--you don't even have to be Top 65 to make the big dance.There are a number of stories each year, two of which you noted in your post. My point is, we have a unique opportunity here with the new stadium, and a strong preceding season(s) in basketball might be one of the keys to drumming up interest and filling it. The best part--I think the B-Ball team can do it!