Off We Go into Kalamazoo

It will be interesting to see what game plan is unveiled for the Bronco's game this Saturday. One train of thought is that JD has played his cards close to the vest offensively thus far. Ok...that's no revelation. But what is unknown is what does the guy have up his sleeve?We've gone on the road against two Big 10 teams and an undefeated Big East team. And we've done so with totally inexperienced QBs, total inexperience @ starting RB (Kennedy is now 3rd string)...total inexperience at WR anywhere beneath Jabari...an OL 2-deep that's about 80% new...with all the new faces it is pretty obvious that it would be suicide to institute some highly complex play calling. Unless...you really dig fumbles, sacks and INT's. Last season we had a lot of seniors and some solid offensive fire power. It was a good year to go for broke and win a BCS game. This season, I have to believe beating decent BCS teams just wasn't in the cards. And the staff knew complex offensive schemes would only have led to some severe beat-downs....which would lead to a demoralized team...which leads to a train-wreck season. Our best chance at a bowl in 2007 was to survive the BCS games, improve every week, and start hitting our stride during the MAC season.If this theory is true, and JD has been spoon-feeding his young offense, this is the week these kids start eating "solid food." The baby formula is in the garbage. How long will CJ11 last at QB vs. the Broncos? He played "ok" at UConn. But as a fans, you wonder if he has the skills to ever be better than just "ok." He is a better running QB than he's shown thus far. But his indecision on game day has led to WAY too many sacks. Will the staff let the guy make more than 1 throw into the endzone per game? Hell...is he allowed to throw forward? It is time to take at least one of the shackles off CJ11 and let him play a bit. I'll take an INT here and there if we're trying to score and keep a defense honest.CJ7 is clearly the better playmaker QB. He's beaten K.e.n.t., which ain't too shabby. And he did so playing a pretty poor game. He throws the best deep ball of our present QB's. But he's acting like Allen Iverson. And it appears JD has drawn a line in the sand regarding missed practices and punctuality. Does CJ 7 want to be the next Nate Robinson? Or the next Butchie Washington? I'm all for letting him rot on the bench until he decides winning football games on Saturday's is important. Seeing how Indiana's QB tore WMU a new a-hole a few weeks ago, a mentally prepared CJ7 probably could have had a monster game in Kalamazoo. Oh well.The TE position seems to have fallen off the radar receiving-wise. But the blocking has been more than adequate. Overall, the OL seems to have improved with each game. Alex Allen and Bryan Williams are improving with each game. Jabari is playing great. I like the direction our offense is heading...I just wish it were heading that direction a lot faster.Western Michigan has shown they've got a very porous defense. You think giving up 44 to UConn is bad, try allowing Missouri to put up 52, or WVU posting a 62-spot on you. Or losing to Indiana 31-7 (garbage time points made the score a seemingly respectable 38-24) IN KALAMAZOO. The Zips offense has no excuse this week. WMU is a MAC opponent with a bad defense. It is time the Zips break out.WMU can score...they put up 42 on Toledo last week. But in this game, our offense should give the D sufficient rest to play a full 4 quarters.Zips 27 WMU 24

I realize they graduated some excellent talent on defense from last year’s squad (especially Ameer Ismail), but it’s hard to believe how far this Western D has dropped in such a short time. They TOTALLY shut us down in the Rubber Bowl last year. In fact, that was about as painful as it got for me last year. I hate to say it, but I think the Zips will play a pretty decent game this Saturday night, only come up a little short. I’ll say:WMU 31Zips 27CJ7 will come off the bench to lead a dramatic, yet ultimately unsuccessful comeback, causing many of us to wonder “what if?”.

I hate to dwell on ancient history, but I cannot recall the Zips ever winning in Kalamazoo, MAC members or not. I remember a Faust era game, where we were setting up for a FG that would have made victory likely (and it also would have extended a nice winning streak at the beginning of the season.....I think we were even getting some Top 20/25 votes at the time) only to have it blocked and returned for a TD that eventually won the game for Western. Other than that, I don't think we've been very competitive there. Does anyone have different recollections?

I remeber Brandon Payne and Dan Basch both tearing ACLs up there within a quarter or so of each other. Always gotta go with the Zips, I will say 35-31. But I hope we get our stuff together and quit screwing around by missing practices and what not. I would rather lose with guys who show up than have what happened last year.

OK, Maybe I'm looking at different info than everyone else, but I think the Zips pull off the "Upset" in this one. We've played a HELL of a schedule this year......and with the exception of the 2nd half last week, our D has been STELLAR. All WMU has is an offense. Matchup:Good WMU O vs. Good UA D = Western 24Bad WMU D vs. Avg and improving UA. O = Akron 31We got blown out in ONE HALF by an undefeated Big East team and suddenly we're a worthless pile of crap.....I don't buy that for one second.

Of course I want Da Zippers to win, but man we have NO OFFENSE!From MacReport Online:

The Zips have the MAC's lowest-rated passing offense, averaging 145.4 yards per game, lowest-rated total offense (244.4 yards per game) and 11th ranked rushing offense (99 yards per game) but may have found an answer at tailback in junior Brian Williams after averaging five yards per carry the last two weeks. Defense has kept the Zips in most games. Akron ranks second in the MAC in pass defense but has been susceptible to the rush, allowing 214.8 yards per game which could be bad news facing a Broncos team that seems to have found its rhythm on the ground. Last week, in the Broncos'  42-28 win over Toledo, both Mark Bonds and Brandon West rushed for over 100 yards. WMU QB Tim Hiller has overcome a shaky start to the 2007 season and is fifth in the MAC, averaging 222.4 yards per game and is fifth in pass efficiency, having thrown nine touchdowns against seven interceptions.
We are better than Toledo for sure. So hopefully our 'D' holds to a low score and forces turnovers and we escape with a win. Is it just me or is thsi years team very similar at times to the vaunted Baltimore Ravens team a few years back when they had no offense, great defense and somehow found themselves in the Super Bowl? :champs:

Just saw this on yahoo.com under STATS for NCAA FB.John Stec Akron 5 games 41 punts (most in the nation) 1553yds (2nd most in nation) 37.9 yd/avg (very low in rankings) 52 yards longest puntWOW!! 41 punts in 5 games?! :blink: Come on Bryan Williams, run run run...lets control the line

johnnyzip84...I have also been around this program going back to the 80s, and also remember that we never play well at Western. Even when we did take good teams up there, some fluke play would happen that would make us lose. I'm not sure if we've ever won in Kalamazoo.We've lost to three very good football teams on the road already this year, but this is now our chance to show that we're ready for conference play, and that the Can't win is a preview of things to come. This is by far our most winnable road game so far. Here is also a situation that should be making our team angry, and hungry....There's some "experts" out there who are disregarding our win against Can't, and saying that they still think Can't is better than us (read the recent MAC power ratings). We are about a 10 point underdog this week against WMU, and Can't is about the same 10 point favorite to beat Miami.We are getting no respect, and that should be firing our guys up.

In a game between two evenly matched teams (Akron and Western are evenly matched), one team is more likely to lose the game through turnovers than the other team win it. What it the give-away/take-away ration for both teams? This will give you the answer as to who will win. If even, the home team will have an advantage.

johnnyzip84...I have also been around this program going back to the 80s, and also remember that we never play well at Western.  Even when we did take good teams up there, some fluke play would happen that would make us lose.  I'm not sure if we've ever won in Kalamazoo.
If I can count correctly, the Roo is 0-7 in Kalamazoo in the Div. 1A era. Most of them were actually pretty close scores, a couple were not but nothing totally ugly (like @Miami). I hope JD drills this factoid into the team and exhorts them to end this travesty :rock: There was a stretch in the early 90's where we played up there like 4 years in a row, a weird scheduling anomaly due to our entry into the MAC, I think.We need to go up there and cover their receivers like a blanket and blitz like crazy so Hiller can be on his back looking at the sky all evening. Our first 7pm game of the season went well so here's hoping...