We need a QB

Buckzip

I really hope that after having a year in the program and having some good reps in springball that Matt Rogers becomes the answer for UA.I believe that UA has the 2 worst QB's in all of college football.I haven't seen every college QB, but I can't believe there can be any worse than what we have. :mad_flame: Jackson looks completely lost when he is in the game. He looks like a true freshman thrown into a NC game. He is clueless.Jacq. is just horrible. His passes float and he throws into coverage. He underthrows every pass. He is also a statue in the pocket. He doesn't roll out or create any type of confusion for the defense. He must have cement in his shoes.It seems like the other team must have 20 guys playing defense. That is the only way that every receiver that he throws to can be triple covered. It seems like he sees any open receiver, but wants to thread it between 3 guys instead. He doesn't read the defense. He doesn't work down his progressions. It seems like he has a primary receiver and he will throw to him no matter what. It hurts to watch.This makes me long for the days of Andy Kubic and Mark Friday.....

Am i the only one who feels that the QB is not our biggest problem?Granted, It is a problem. But WR is my biggest concern. It doesn't seem that anyone on this team can run and get open. And if they do, they can't catch.I am not aware of any freshman who can be a break out WR next year... so this seems to be a problem for a few years to come.

Am i the only one who feels that the QB is not our biggest problem?Granted, It is a problem. But WR is my biggest concern. It doesn't seem that anyone on this team can run and get open. And if they do, they can't catch.I am not aware of any freshman who can be a break out WR next year... so this seems to be a problem for a few years to come.
WR is a concern, but QB it what makes the whole thing "work." We can live with serviceable WR's. But in the MAC, you need a stud QB to win. If we had Nate Davis, we'd be, worst case, 7-4 right now. QB makes that big a difference in the MAC.

c/ki totally agree.if we had a qb the we can win.we need to scrap the spread.we do not have the qb,or wr to run it.i still think the defense except for a few games played well enough for us to win this year.if we have kind of offense this team would not have four wins.

Finally a post I agree with BZ on. Our QB's are awful. And the coaches didn't help by bringing in Jackson on our own 20... and then having him throw on 3rd down was the worst coaching decision of the year.The OL was exposed and no one stepped up. Poindexter had the one pass CJ11 threw OK and he dropped it. Nate Davis was brought up on the board. I've said all year if we had him we are an 8-4 team. How the hell do the coaches not recruit him? An eastern ohio kid for the taking and he ends up in Indiana. Here was a guy that we needed to get to be successful. Relying on these qb will get JD to GP1's coaching graveyard.Finally, another MU-UA tilt with officiating controversy. ESPN just didn't re-show the play or even bring it up.MU was offsides on the fumble/TD and of course the penalty was not called.

We know this much.....CJ11 can't throw on the run. Heck, he's having trouble throwing from the pocket too. CJ7 was thrown in to try to give the offense a lift. An offense that was doing NOTHING. How can that be a bad coaching decision? However, because of the result, I think he's seen his last snap as a QB in an Akron uniform. The dropped passes are killing me too.During my entire 3 decades as a Zips fan, I've probably never shaken my head so much during a football game.It's still amazing to me that we can't throw, even with having two good running backs that are a threat to any defense we play. Miami got smart and put 8 guys on the line of scrimmage, and we still couldn't pass.

WR is a concern, but QB it what makes the whole thing "work." We can live with serviceable WR's. But in the MAC, you need a stud QB to win. If we had Nate Davis, we'd be, worst case, 7-4 right now. QB makes that big a difference in the MAC.
Quarterback is a problem ... having only one guy who can catch a pass is a problem ... but I feel that the biggest problem is the offensive line (or lack of one). Defence looks good though.

Finally, another MU-UA tilt with officiating controversy. ESPN just didn't re-show the play or even bring it up.MU was offsides on the fumble/TD and of course the penalty was not called.
I thought the MU guy was in the neutral zone as well. Haven't looked at replay on DVR and probably won't.

To me, it doesn't really matter who is the QB. The problem is deeper than those of you that think neither one has any talent. The problem is JD. 1. He needs to make a decison on who will be the qb and stick with it. 2. What JD has shown us all season, is that he has absolutley no confidence in either CJ.JD, please make a decison and stick with it, thru thick and thin.!

I don't think that the 'problem' is either QB or JD.I think the problem is a combination of three things1) one dominating WR, the rest are not respect nor thrown to 2) offensive play calling 3) inconsistent run blockingNow, does that mean I think our quarterbacks are above reproach, or JD above criticism? No.

I don't think that the 'problem' is either QB or JD.I think the problem is a combination of three things1) one dominating WR, the rest are not respect nor thrown to
How about changing #1 to not looked at. Go back and watc hthe game last night. Only 2 or 3 times did CJ11 look at somebody other than JA12. He would take the snap and watch JA12 the WHOLE time and then either thorw it to him or throw it away. Let's at least give the other guys a chance befroe we blast them for not catching a ball.

The problem is two fold: #1, our QB's stare down Arthur and don't even wait for him to get open. So many times this year our QB's are throwing the ball to Arthur when he is double and even triple teamed. When that happens there is always another receiver wide open. Week in and week out, the game announcers continue to comment on this as well. #2 Both QB's, especially Jackson, just have not figured out how to play the position. Jacquamain is either not experienced enough or just plain not smart enough to read defenses. As far as Jackson is concerned, our offense is one dimensional towards the run whenever he is in the game and every opposing defense knows it. CJ11 sucks at reading defenses and CJ7 is even worse so what does that say? Unless CJ7 becomes a passer over night, I would not allow him to ever take another snap. I'll agree that most of the secondary receivers suffer from the dropsies, but they are also getting very few opportunities. Does anyone know if Harvey can make it back next year. I thought I read a post a while back that he has returned to school and is attempting to turn himself around academically?

I just don't know the QB is the problem as much as the it is the offensive coordinator. How do you explain a game like last week against OU where we move the ball at will and score like crazy. Then the same QB plays this week and nothing. You are going to blame that on the QB? In the second half Miami's defense adjusted and started coming hard at our offense -- we didn't adjust after that. The offensive coordinator and perhaps the offense are the problem.

The offensive coordinator and perhaps the offense are the problem.
It is both. We have an OC who has never played or coached the read offense they use. My biggest complaint about the read offense we use is the QB NEVER keeps the ball. There is no reason to defend against the QB running. Every other team that runs it has a running QB and is successful with it. Look what Florida does with it. Hell, look what an average team like Illinios did with it against that "great"(?) osu defense last week. The kicked the crap out of osu with the same offense Florida used to kick the crap out of them last January.

Finally a post I agree with BZ on. Our QB's are awful. And the coaches didn't help by bringing in Jackson on our own 20... and then having him throw on 3rd down was the worst coaching decision of the year.The OL was exposed and no one stepped up. Poindexter had the one pass CJ11 threw OK and he dropped it. Nate Davis was brought up on the board. I've said all year if we had him we are an 8-4 team. How the hell do the coaches not recruit him? An eastern ohio kid for the taking and he ends up in Indiana. Here was a guy that we needed to get to be successful. Relying on these qb will get JD to GP1's coaching graveyard.Finally, another MU-UA tilt with officiating controversy. ESPN just didn't re-show the play or even bring it up.MU was offsides on the fumble/TD and of course the penalty was not called.
I thought the guy that blitzed possibly beat the snap by a split-second too, but the announcers never even mentioned it. If he was not offsides, then he timed it absolutely perfectly.

CJ11 played with fire last week-- the way he scrambled down field and blocked on every running play was inspirational if not particularly smart. This game, he was deer in headlights all night and every play. Did anyone else see that look, like he had been drilled repeatedly and we were down by 30 but instead he had taken a few licks and we were down by 7? The lack of leadership and fire was incredibly apparent.So here is why it's JD's fault-- why would you wait until the beginning of the 4th to bring in CJ17? When it was clear CJ11 was not going to have game, he should have brought CJ17 in for a series or two in the 2nd and see what happens. Bringing him in for 1 series, late in the game, deep in our own territory is not going to set anyone up for success. That was just stupid.

Matt Rogers would not have done any better this year than CJ11. Remeber that this kid is a first year player. They all get better with experience. It's not like he's out there with Great receivers and a innovative offense. A QB can not win games by himself. Be patient. CJ11 is a good QB and will improve with time and maturity. If you think Matt Rogers is the answer, what his high school film and compare it. I don't think so.What we need is better receivers and a better offensive scheme!

Matt Rogers would not have done any better this year than CJ11. Remeber that this kid is a first year player. They all get better with experience. It's not like he's out there with Great receivers and a innovative offense. A QB can not win games by himself. Be patient. CJ11 is a good QB and will improve with time and maturity. If you think Matt Rogers is the answer, what his high school film and compare it. I don't think so.What we need is better receivers and a better offensive scheme!
While we do not know how good Rogers is, CJ11 is not the answer. Getting a good frickin quarterback is the difference between 8-4 and 4-8 in the MAC. I'm watching the Oregon-Arizona game and Oregon's qb left with an injury. With the back-up in, Oregon looks like a second tier MAC school. They look, fat, slow, with poor special teams, an awful defense and I swear I'm watching CJ11 play on consecutive nights. A major BCS school looks this bad? It just goes to show how much a good quarterback hides other weaknesses.

I was watching the same game and thinking the same thing. So do you think that if we had Dixon at QB, will we be ranked #2?
Ditto here. I told my son that Oregon looked like Akron now that their Heisman-candidate QB is on the bench with a bum knee. What a difference a player (or two) with athletic/leadership ability can make. Too bad for Oregon. I was hoping to see them stay in the hunt for the championship game if for no other reason than a change of pace from the usual big-name suspects that usually bubble to the top.

I was watching the same game and thinking the same thing. So do you think that if we had Dixon at QB, will we be ranked #2?
Ditto here. I told my son that Oregon looked like Akron now that their Heisman-candidate QB is on the bench with a bum knee. What a difference a player (or two) with athletic/leadership ability can make. Too bad for Oregon. I was hoping to see them stay in the hunt for the championship game if for no other reason than a change of pace from the usual big-name suspects that usually bubble to the top.
This is the problem when you watch teams only occasionally. You may watch a game they lose and think they are bad. The thing is that all teams have a bad game. I feel that once Dixon went out that the team was down and out. When your star player gets injured it affects the rest of the team.Great teams sometimes lose. It doesn't mean that they aren't better than the other team. It means on that one particular night they weren't very good, and the other team was.Stanford is not better than USC. Illinois is not better than OSU. Kentucky is not better than LSU. The list goes on and on.The 1985 Dolphins were not better than the 1985 Bears.When you are a top ranked team you are getting the opponents best every game. Even the best teams can't be ready for every game. That is why, IMHO, we need a playoff in DI.I 100% agree Oregon looked bad last night. However, if you would have watched them numerous other times, like I have , you would know that they are much better than they showed last night.

i am not speaking for everbody but i do not think cj11 is the answer at qb.he has played most of the games this year.he is making the same mistakes every game.we were deep in miami territory and he made the huge mistake of throwing an int.you at least have to come out with a fg.what is jd supposed to do?let cj 11 play two losing season while he may develope?c.fry had one redshirt year,and came in and lead the team right away.either you can play or you can't.igreanted it may take a redshirt year to mature for some postions.cj11 is a sophmore now,and i don't see him playing more games is the answer.