Nostalgia for a slow board

Z-P

Padre, we were both at that game along with the good Captain. It was a really great game despite the out come. I remember the comments I got from guys in the bathroom after the game about what a good team Akron was. I wish I knew how to insert a picture file because I have a good one from that game of that Hendry kid and # 78 making a hole for him. If the Zips had not gotten a bad call they might have gone on to win that game.

Padre, we were both at that game along with the good Captain. It was a really great game despite the out come. I remember the comments I got from guys in the bathroom after the game about what a good team Akron was. I wish I knew how to insert a picture file because I have a good one from that game of that Hendry kid and # 78 making a hole for him. If the Zips had not gotten a bad call they might have gone on to win that game.
Anthony Davis went down the next week with a severe ankle in the first qtr against UNLV who went on to upset UW. My most significant memory (honest, you'll never believe this) was how big an asshole Barry Alvarez was when he quickly led his players off the field purposfully avoiding the traditional handshake. Alvarez is, was, and will always be the biggest ahole coach we have ever competed against.

This is the perfect topic for an Akron web page. For whatever reason, I too have fond memories of losing. Some days, being a Zips fan makes me think I'm mentally ill....most other days, it just makes me want to cry.

This is the perfect topic for an Akron web page. For whatever reason, I too have fond memories of losing. Some days, being a Zips fan makes me think I'm mentally ill....most other days, it just makes me want to cry.
Ha! Sadly, quite true! It's why we're such a close-knit community, a bunch of unbelievable diehards! But we're all gonna be able to say that we were here from the beginning - before being a Zips fan was the cool trend - before The Info is built and we average 25K a game and (eventually) crack into a Top 25 ranking!I believe my favorite Zip memory is also a loss. I loved the MAC championship game in Detroit, didn't we all. But I actually believe my favorite Zips memory is our narrow loss to nationally ranked (14th?) Virginia Tech at the Rubber Bowl about 15ish years ago. We were down by, oh, 10-14 points, maybe, with about 1 minute to go. No chance of winning, really, but it just seemed like everyone in the stadium was so proud of how well both our O and D had played up to that point, that no one in the stadium was down on the team at all. (I believe we may have lost in Blacksburg the previous year by 40, or something gawdawful like that.) Then Willie Spencer hit someone for a 20-25 yard TD pass and the Rubberbowl just absolutely exploded! Even though we still had no chance of actually winning the game. That's how sports should be - it's far from life and death. Everyone yelling and jumping and giving high-fives to absolute strangers even though we knew we were still gonna lose. That's the coolest experience of die hard Zips community I've ever experienced. Winning is easy (Buckeyes ;) ); lots of frontrunners and posers there. That's human nature. But sticking through losing together, ah, now that's real community! That's ZipsNation! Zip for life!

While it was a loss, it was one of the Zips better efforts against BCS competition. And, it was a great time. My favorite memory from the game was, on our first offensive possession, the guy behind me saying "What...is this 1942 or something? What's the deal with the little white running back?" I turned to the guy and said - "Mark my words, he'll put over 100 on you today." I forget what Hendry had that day, but is was something like 119 yards? I enjoyed that. B) Overall, Wisconsin people were very complementary of the Zips. Good folks.Picks from the game and tailgate:VikesnZips004a.jpgVikesnZips005a.jpgVikesnZips012a.jpgVikesnZips016a.jpg

I tend to forget how much fun it was to go to some of these "close but no cigar" contests.However, when I look at win over Toledo on Darren Alcorn's 56 yard field goal in 1992, the miracle win over Marshall during Charlie's senior year, the MAC championship win on the throw from Getsy to Hixon, and the last second dive by Kennedy to win the road game at South Carolina, I just can't find comparisons.

I tend to forget how much fun it was to go to some of these "close but no cigar" contests.However, when I look at win over Toledo on Darren Alcorn's 56 yard field goal in 1992, the miracle win over Marshall during Charlie's senior year, the MAC championship win on the throw from Getsy to Hixon, and the last second dive by Kennedy to win the road game at South Carolina, I just can't find comparisons.
Kennedy scored at NC St. to seal the win.

Wait, wasn't this the game where Akron lateralled the ball like 15 times and scored a winning (or tying) TD with no time left, only to have it called back? I thought I remember the final score being very close. I remember it was raining and the bowl was practically empty.

Ha! Sadly, quite true! It's why we're such a close-knit community, a bunch of unbelievable diehards! But we're all gonna be able to say that we were here from the beginning - before being a Zips fan was the cool trend - before The Info is built and we average 25K a game and (eventually) crack into a Top 25 ranking!I believe my favorite Zip memory is also a loss. I loved the MAC championship game in Detroit, didn't we all. But I actually believe my favorite Zips memory is our narrow loss to nationally ranked (14th?) Virginia Tech at the Rubber Bowl about 15ish years ago. We were down by, oh, 10-14 points, maybe, with about 1 minute to go. No chance of winning, really, but it just seemed like everyone in the stadium was so proud of how well both our O and D had played up to that point, that no one in the stadium was down on the team at all. (I believe we may have lost in Blacksburg the previous year by 40, or something gawdawful like that.) Then Willie Spencer hit someone for a 20-25 yard TD pass and the Rubberbowl just absolutely exploded! Even though we still had no chance of actually winning the game. That's how sports should be - it's far from life and death. Everyone yelling and jumping and giving high-fives to absolute strangers even though we knew we were still gonna lose. That's the coolest experience of die hard Zips community I've ever experienced. Winning is easy (Buckeyes ;) ); lots of frontrunners and posers there. That's human nature. But sticking through losing together, ah, now that's real community! That's ZipsNation! Zip for life!

While it was a loss, it was one of the Zips better efforts against BCS competition. And, it was a great time. My favorite memory from the game was, on our first offensive possession, the guy behind me saying "What...is this 1942 or something? What's the deal with the little white running back?" I turned to the guy and said - "Mark my words, he'll put over 100 on you today." I forget what Hendry had that day, but is was something like 119 yards? I enjoyed that. B) Overall, Wisconsin people were very complementary of the Zips. Good folks.Picks from the game and tailgate:VikesnZips004a.jpgVikesnZips005a.jpgVikesnZips012a.jpgVikesnZips016a.jpg
What's up with all the old people in jorts?

I also remember some great games, although they too are mostly losses and the details are kinda vague.The great wins I really remember were Charlie Frye's first real game when he came in for an injured Nick Sparks and brought the team to victory. Also, the televised win several years ago when we got to storm the field afterwards was awesome!The losses (as with any fan from NE Ohio) are the real memory stickers:- the games against Worthlessberger-led Sweaters. I think there were at least 2 home gamess where the Zips looked like winners in the 4th only to see "big" Ben bring his team to victory.- the crazy game where Leftwich left the game injured and then came back to shock the Zips at home vs Marshall- even remember some good last minutes losses when Butchie Washington couldnt scramble away from the opponnents b.c. we never really had a great o-line- sitting on the old and unrestricted bleachers on the home side for a season next to Brandon Payne's family. We always yelled "HOUSE......OF.......PAYNE" and some jackarse old alumni told us to be quite and that we spelled "PAYNE" wrong.....classic :D

I also remember some great games, although they too are mostly losses and the details are kinda vague.The losses (as with any fan from NE Ohio) are the real memory stickers:- the crazy game where Leftwich left the game injured and then came back to shock the Zips at home vs Marshall
The Zips beat Marshall in that one, despite Leftwich's heroics. I think Ryan Myers had something to do with it! :rock: In fact, the Zips beating Marshall 2 of the last 3 times they played (perhaps forever?), is one of my all-time favorite Zip football stats.