Akron @ Western Michigan IN-GAME

RowdyZip

In the tradition of getting things started early. List your predictions and thoughts here.I noticed on gozips.com that the game is listed on TV on "comcast local." Does anybody in the "know" know if Time Warner is picking this game up on channel 23 or something? It'd be nice to plop by butt down in front of the TV and watch the Zips knock off the number one team out west.Prediction:Akron 72WMU 65

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This game certainly scares me. I know WMU is the west as the west is inferior to the east, but I can just see this game spoiling our chances at a #1 in Cleveland just like Toledo did last year. Toledo knocking off Can't was good help for the Zips, but remember that in addition to this game at WMU, the Zips still have to go to Miami and OU. Can't is just pretty much going to be sitting pretty and waiting for March March 9th.

Bleacher Bum...you hit on an excellent point. Even though we are even with Can't in the standings, they have an edge on us right now in that they have already played Western, and already played their road game at OU. So, needless to say, this game at Western is necessary for us to keep pace. But, after the way we played at Central last weekend, I'm not liking our chances against a team that is better than Central, on the road. I'm glad someone finally brought up our slow starts over the last few games. I'm not the coach of this team, but certainly feel like we should play our regulars early, build a lead, and then substitute the 2nd team guys. Instead, we seem to be playing some newer guys early, and then substituting in the regulars to mount a comeback. It's created a couple of close calls, and I don't want to see that again.

I'm somewhat amazed by all of the attention given to the VCU game and how little that has been devoted to tonights game.If we are to entertain serious thoughts of knocking down a top seed in the MAC tourney, this is the road game we must get.With very tough road trips to Miami and OU looming, I think we need to get two wins from these three road games in order to hope for a number one seed. I'm not optimistic about all of that occuring, but a road win tonight against a tough veteran WMU squad would do wonders for the mindset of the Zips. I think if we were to lose this one tonight our chances for a first round bye in Cleveland are minimal.If we don't take care of our business in the MAC the VCU game means squat.

Bleacher Bum...you hit on an excellent point. Even though we are even with Can't in the standings, they have an edge on us right now in that they have already played Western, and already played their road game at OU.
Plus they have a road win @ Miami.
I think if we were to lose this one tonight our chances for a first round bye in Cleveland are minimal.
The Zips only need to finish top 4 for a Bye. Even if you assume Can't, OU, and Western are the other 3, that just means Akron has to beat out BG (currently 1 GB) and Miami / Toledo / Central (currently 2 GB). I will be suprised if Akron doesnt finish top 4.

I hate to be the pessimist, but I see this game as being the one that "get's away" from the Zips. Western is VERY good at home and that combined with our recent inconsistency spells trouble to me. Having said this, I think UA will win 3 of the next 5 games, and a 9-4 conference record heading into the home stretch is not too bad.Western 82Zips 68

Should be a good game but I, too, am pessimistic ... Horses 75 Akron 71. MUST take care of business in Muncie Saturday night. FYI ... Vegas has us a 1-point underdog tonight.From the Akron game notes ...Akron-Western Michigan Connections...• Fifth-year Western Michigan assistant coach Cornell Mann played at Akron for three seasons (1993-95).• First-year Western Michigan assistant coach Andy Hipsher played at Akron for five seasons (2000-04).

Akron-Western Michigan Connections...• Fifth-year Western Michigan assistant coach Cornell Mann played at Akron for three seasons (1993-95).• First-year Western Michigan assistant coach Andy Hipsher played at Akron for five seasons (2000-04).
I don't remember Cornell Mann. Did he get much playing time? 1993 was about the year I started following the Zips closely. I remember my first favorite b-ball Zip was Tron Jenkins! That has to be one of the coolest names ever; Tron Jenkins. He could ball. And even when I was young and inexperienced in the ways of the world I still thought the JAR was a dump.My gloomy, but fortunately uneducated prediction: WMU 75, UA 65.

HUGE game for a couple of reasons. #1 - Need to keep pace w/ Can't State & OU just to keep pace.#2 - Would be nice to go on a roll in the next few and steal some of these road games#3 - This game may well determine the seeding / division title & the NIT bid. Should the Zips end up in a 3 way tie w/ Can't State & OU, and have all 3 teams go 1-1 against the other 2, the record against the top teams in the West come into play. Can't State has already beaten WMU. UA needs to follow suit.I say the Zips are snapping out of it .. CM looked pretty quick on Saturday. WMU doesn't have the perimeter athleticism that OU & Can't have .. and shouldn't be able to cause the same disruption.Wood gets 25 touches in the low block during the first 20 seconds of the shot clock tonight.Zips 70-65.Go Zips.

#1 - Need to keep pace w/ Can't State & OU just to keep pace.
Get this one from the Department of Redundancy Department :P Reitz vs. Wood will be a good matchup. But after Reitz and Kool, they dont have much. I did see them dismantle CMU on ESPN a week or so ago. I'll say:Zips 68WMU 71