Akron-FSU Game Thread

johnnyzip84

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from watching the game at my friends house. I hate to break it to you guys, but we didn't win that game, Florida State lost it. We played great defense, but there is no way we should be missing that many free throws and layups and still coming away with a win in the postseason. That was way more luck than anything else.

Just got back from watching the game at my friends house. I hate to break it to you guys, but we didn't win that game, Florida State lost it. We played great defense, but there is no way we should be missing that many free throws and layups and still coming away with a win in the postseason. That was way more luck than anything else.
youre in the band...shut you

youre in the band...shut you
What?

You missed a great college basketball game. It was just on ESPN Classic. You should have seen it. The Zips (a team from Ak-RON, apparently) played their ASSES off defensively. They totally shut down three excellent ACC guards on their home court. We had this guy...his name is Rick Smiles...Dick Lyles...something like that...but the guy went Larry Bird on the Seminoles...scored something like 13 of the Zips final 14 points!I hope someone you know TiVo'd the game. If you're a Zips fan, you'll LOVE it.

You missed a great college basketball game. It was just on ESPN Classic. You should have seen it. The Zips (a team from Ak-RON, apparently) played their ASSES off defensively. They totally shut down three excellent ACC guards on their home court. We had this guy...his name is Rick Smiles...Dick Lyles...something like that...but the guy went Larry Bird on the Seminoles...scored something like 13 of the Zips final 14 points!I hope someone you know TiVo'd the game. If you're a Zips fan, you'll LOVE it.
Ahh yes, and masterfully coached by Ken Dimbrat. :iws:

Everyone just calm down a second. All I'm saying was that last couple of minutes was ugly. I watched the game. The first half and most of the second half we played great, don't get me wrong. But I lost track of how many free throws we missed in the last five minutes and I distinctly remember two breakaway layups we missed in the same time frame. We were just lucky that FSU did the same because if they made any one of those shots they missed we lose the game. Huge win for the Zips and a well played 35 minutes. But we've had the same problem all year. We need to figure out how to finish games. If we miss the gimme points like that against UMass then we are in a world of trouble in the next game.

Everyone just calm down a second. All I'm saying was that last couple of minutes was ugly. I watched the game. The first half and most of the second half we played great, don't get me wrong. But I lost track of how many free throws we missed in the last five minutes and I distinctly remember two breakaway layups we missed in the same time frame. We were just lucky that FSU did the same because if they made any one of those shots they missed we lose the game. Huge win for the Zips and a well played 35 minutes. But we've had the same problem all year. We need to figure out how to finish games. If we miss the gimme points like that against UMass then we are in a world of trouble in the next game.
Florida State made 100% of their free throws. It didn't help.The Zips DID finish the game. Florida State didn't.FT's were bad. Defense was stellar.

FSU didn't miss any free throws but they had some opportunities to score in that last couple of minutes and thanks to our defense and some dumb mistakes (like someone for FSU dribbling the ball of their foot with two minutes left) we pulled it out. Did anyone catch exactly how many free throws we missed?

I love them announcers. Definitely were pro-underdog in Akron. :) I am so stoked right now!!!
Jarvis is sort of a poor man's Bill Walton! Sometimes you would pay him to just shut the :rolleyes: up. Then he goes and makes a comment that makes you smile and say, "Oh, yeah." I just wish someone had at least handed those two a media guide before the start. Maybe they could have gotten someone's name right. I get crazed at hearing the Arizona Cardinals QB called out for Akron! Well, at least we didn't have Jim Chones telling Akron they can't keep missing shots on the road at the JAR. :lol:

went to the game, my girlfriend and i were the ONLY non family members that came into town....absolutely great. Met 3 separate guys who lived in Tallahassee who went to the game and graduated from Akron. Also got to sit in a suite for the first half (family down here has one)...then sat with all the Akron folks for the second half. Needless to say, it was a phenomenal night. Loved how the Akron section was drowning out their students for much of the game. Also i was real glad to be able to represent the Rowdies down here, i think the fans surrounding me learned what we are all about. Just wish the rest of you guys could have been down here going crazy with Jen and I. Where did all of you guys watch the game btw? Winking Lizard? Cleats?ok yeah im rambling, im just pumped for saturday

Ahh yes, and masterfully coached by Ken Dimbrat. :iws:
Actually, they (Jarvis or the other nut?) called him DENVER (Gilligan's island?) one time, and the next time he became "Dem-Brote". Hilarious. They made this the perfect weird game Baby!. Too bad nobody was there to stand on his head, Baby!:wave:

I'm quite certain they had no idea there are 2 McKnight's on the team.
from what i heard they thought there were more....a Chris a Christian a Brad and a Brett, I wonder if they are all brothers?and also i laughed whenever he pronounced Nate's name "Line-Ert"

FSU didn't miss any free throws but they had some opportunities to score in that last couple of minutes and thanks to our defense and some dumb mistakes (like someone for FSU dribbling the ball of their foot with two minutes left) we pulled it out. Did anyone catch exactly how many free throws we missed?
I'm gonna have to side with Zipsband on this one. Wood had two Travels in a row Nate was just pathetic and we were missing some things that had no buisness being missed. if FSU would've been on top their game them we would've lost. I'm happy we didn't and I hope we can clean up those silly mistakes before UMASS.and I almost forgot Roberts travel right before a very important three that would have iced the game

Heck of a game last night for the Zips.Florida State definitley did some things to make it easier on us. Especially with turning the ball over like it was their job. To be fair, the Zips forced a lot of those turnovers, but there were some in there that were just uncalled for on FSU's end. Specifically the one inbounds pass where the inbounder just threw the ball right over his guards head for an easy steal by Roberts. Either way, the Zips still had to take advantage of it and they did.By the same token the Zips did some things to keep FSU in the game. If the Zips cut back on the travelling calls, hit even 60-75% on their free throws and box out a little better on a few rebounds that game never goes to OT. Dambrot flat out out-coached FSU and our guys flat outhustled them. I don't think I was the only one waiting for another late game meltdown but Dials in particular wouldn't let it happen. I'm gonna miss that kid, even if he is playing way out of position this year.