Davidson to the Elite 8

It started with K.e.n.t., then George Mason, and now Davidson (whom Western Michigan beat in '08). It appears as though mid-majors making deep tourney runs is becoming commonplace? By the Zips beating a 20-win ACC team in their own arena, you can see the gap between mid-major and "power conference" is becoming much smaller. I'm guessing that, in two years, the Zips are ready to make some real post-season noise. KD always seems to get the most out of his talent. And to the nay-sayers, I contend that, until now, our talent has honestly been "NIT-level." The 2007 and 2008 recruiting classes have much more talent and upside than the classes that recently graduated. Next year will be rough, early on. But I'm guessing we'll make some noise in the MAC tourney. And LOOK-OUT in 2009-10! B)

Since nobody seems to want to respond to this.....I will agree with you that the early part of next year will likely be a little rough. But, you seem to be thoroughly convinced that the guys coming in have "much more talent" than Dru, Romeo, Jeremiah, Nick, and Cedrick? Those guys might be the best 5, collectively, that I have seen wearing UA jerseys in my 30 years around this program. It's going to take some doin. But like always...I hope you are SO right.

It started with K.e.n.t., then George Mason, and now Davidson (whom Western Michigan beat in '08). It appears as though mid-majors making deep tourney runs is becoming commonplace?
Mid majors or mid major? Each year, there does seem to be one mid major team that makes it deep. However, the trick is to be that one team with all the stars lining up at the right time. In order for UofA to be that one mid major, they first have to win the MAC. Eventually they will if they can score more points. After that, the Zips will have to overcome what will be a certain hose job from the committee after not making the tournament for over 20 years. I can see it now.....UofA vs. the second place PAC 10 team in Sacramento in the first round..... :(The point is that it takes a lot for a run like that to happen. Davidson doesn't make the tournament once every 25 years, they do it more frequently. Western Kentucky is a frequent NCAA team. Winthrop is a frequent NCCAA team and they won a game last year. The Zips are still a long way away from making the NCAA Tournament, let alone winning a game or two. It's OK to dream, but winning the MAC should be the goal at this point because if you don't win the MAC, you don't go dancing. One step at a time....By the way, I went to the Sweet 16 last Thursday. It was neat, but the games were a little dull.

The point is that it takes a lot for a run like that to happen. Davidson doesn't make the tournament once every 25 years, they do it more frequently. Western Kentucky is a frequent NCAA team. Winthrop is a frequent NCCAA team and they won a game last year. The Zips are still a long way away from making the NCAA Tournament, let alone winning a game or two. It's OK to dream, but winning the MAC should be the goal at this point because if you don't win the MAC, you don't go dancing. One step at a time....
Sounds like a good argument .. but it's just wrong.A: How do you figure "a long way away from making the NCAA Tournament" .. they've been one game away 2 years in a row now. EMU and Buffalo are a long way away .. the Zips are quite simply not.B: Go look up at Can't State's NCAA results from 2001 (the year before their elite 8 run .. ) and let me know how they did in the dance that year.

How about Cleveland State's run the same year that Huggins took the Zips to the NCAA..."Cleveland State University became the first #14 seed to reach the Sweet Sixteen." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_NCAA_Men...ball_TournamentClick on Bracket, and you'll see 15 Akron vs 2 Michigan in the Midwest Region (I remember watching in the Chuckery in Gardner Student Center)