Check out Top Drawer Soccer

"Ben Speas . . . is TopDrawerSoccer’s® #1 ranked recruit for the Class of 2009. The recruiting process is already over for Speas, as he’s committed to play nearby at the University of Akron for Caleb Porter." :blink: 5 Stars, # 1 in the country!?! Wow! :blink: On a side note:"Speas was one of the top performers among the 1991 birth year players who made the trip to Argentina."I didn't realize they refer to the recruits by birth year. Birth year 1991 - now that makes me feel old!Nice find, wOOt! :rock: Go Zips!

Is this the first #1 recruit landed by a MAC School?
No. The most recent was Kofie Sarkodie, UA recruiting class of 2008. You should read my posts more carefully. :D (See the thread "Soccer Recruits" for the discussion of Ben and Kofie)BTW -- Kofie is the second national youth team captain Akron has recruited in as many years, as Blair Gavin captained the US-18 squad a year ago

I must admit, simply because of UA's program, I am becoming a soccer fan. I find myself wanting to become more educated about the game. I even watched some of a soccer match on ESPN the other day! Unprecedented for me - I'm your typical football-basketball-baseball kinda guy. I'm planning on watching quite a few matches this year! And buying season tickets when we open the new soccer stadium! :rock: Ha.This quote is from the second article posted above. Can a true soccer fan translate this statement for the rest of us?Speas agreed that he likes to play stylish soccer, and said he chose Akron in part because of the team’s interest in playing the ball on the ground as opposed to the more exclusively direct style many college teams prefer.

This quote is from the second article posted above. Can a true soccer fan translate this statement for the rest of us?Speas agreed that he likes to play stylish soccer, and said he chose Akron in part because of the team’s interest in playing the ball on the ground as opposed to the more exclusively direct style many college teams prefer.
Okay, I shall attempt my best imitation of Paul Gardner describing the Beautiful Game.First off -- remember how Zeke 54 stated that he wanted to attend a "downtown" campus, but not RIGHT downtown? :D Understand we are dealing with athletically - and hopefully academically - advanced children, not adults. Therefore, Ben's quote should not be taken as a slap at his good friend, Kofi (correct spelling, sorry for earlier) Sarkodie, with whom he played on the US U-17 squad under coach Hackworth. You see, with Kofi playing in the back and in a year, Ben in the midfield and Blair Gavin, Zakuani and Nanchoff up front (is Nanchoff a forward -- I think so, but excuse my 5000 mi ignorance), we can expect some very fast ball-movement from end-to-end. In fact, in describing Kofi to friends, I've used the phrase "young Becks" to describe his tremendous back-line distribution and field-switching abilities. That, having seen him on TV just twice. I can see Kofi playing at least a pseudo-libero role for the Zips, much as Beckham often does for the Galaxy -- at least when he was out here for the Pan-Pacific Cup. BTW -- I had thought that Speas was himself playing fullback previously, but apparently his offensive skills were too valuable to national coaches to keep him behind the 50.So, back to the idea of the stylish football player. :P American football has for far too long modeled itself after the slow, less-than-exciting style of the European -- or if you will, British -- game. Now, after a couple decades of dominance by Brazil and Argentina, at long last the US coaching community decides it should switch tactics and go after the South American style of developing great individual ballhandlers and scorers. Soccer is an individual game played by eleven people at a time -- that can sum up the difference of the Brazilian and Argentine game. Think of the way the US dominates the world in basketball -- at least on paper! ;) Great speed (or "pace" as it's known in soccer), dribbling, and shotmaking, and the ability to blend this individuality into team play with precise passes in the zone and crosses to target players is the new "next generation" strategy in developing beautiful skill players to perfect the Beautiful Game. How many LeBrons will the US be able to develop in soccer? If we're to win World Cups, we have to build them.Will Akron U become the Man U of the NCAA? I'd put our young Caleb up against Sir Alex Ferguson any day! :lol: Sorry mate, didn't intend to put any more pressure on your shoulders -- either Calebs or Fergies. An aside: I can't wait for Sept 12th. My plans are firm. I see the guy Steven from Fox Football Fone-in wearing his Lobos T-shirt, so I just sent away for the Stevenhatesmyclub T from Whoareyadesigns.com. :blink: Awesome, even if I only wear it once.

Lolla was the man, but Caleb seems to really be taking this program to a much, much higher level than even Lolla had it. I do suppose Lolla deserves the credit for laying the groundwork to make this ascention possible. Isn't Caleb Porter a Mack Rhodes hire? If so, then Mack definitely deserves a ton of credit for this particular hire. For all the grief Mack gets on this board, it seems as thought he couldn't have picked a better coach than Caleb.

Isn't Caleb Porter a Mack Rhodes hire? If so, then Mack definitely deserves a ton of credit for this particular hire. For all the grief Mack gets on this board, it seems as thought he couldn't have picked a better coach than Caleb.
I think Mike Waddell hired Caleb. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. :wave:

Isn't Caleb Porter a Mack Rhodes hire? If so, then Mack definitely deserves a ton of credit for this particular hire. For all the grief Mack gets on this board, it seems as thought he couldn't have picked a better coach than Caleb.
I think Mike Waddell hired Caleb. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. :wave:
according to Mack's profile that goes in the media guides, they list Caleb's hiring as the first thing in the "time line of success". So I think Mack is given credit for it. I dunno...Why does he get so much grief out here? I've never understood that.

according to Mack's profile that goes in the media guides, they list Caleb's hiring as the first thing in the "time line of success". So I think Mack is given credit for it. I dunno...Why does he get so much grief out here? I've never understood that.
I believe Waddell recruited and interviewed Caleb. The actual hire may have occurred within the first week or two that Mack came on board, but I don't believe he had much to do with the hire. Again, I will confirm this and officially put the matter to rest. Mack wouldn't want credit for something he didn't do. And likewise, if he made a great hire in Caleb, he should get his due.I don't think Mack gets all that much grief here. If you do, take a look at other message boards and check out commentary on various AD's. ZipsNation is Fluffy Bunny Central by comparison.

Lolla was the man, but Caleb seems to really be taking this program to a much, much higher level than even Lolla had it. I do suppose Lolla deserves the credit for laying the groundwork to make this ascention possible. Isn't Caleb Porter a Mack Rhodes hire? If so, then Mack definitely deserves a ton of credit for this particular hire. For all the grief Mack gets on this board, it seems as thought he couldn't have picked a better coach than Caleb.
Ken Lolla is an excellent coach, a great guy (ran into him at some coaching clinics) and a real ambassador for the sport. He should get some credit for laying the foundation of what UA soccer appears to be on the verge of. HOWEVER, it's not like the Zips were also-rans before he came aboard. Regardless of how he left his HC position, Steve Parker (NCAA D-1 Coach of the Year in 1986) obviously had the program at a pretty high level prior to Ken's arrival.

I hate to bring up OSWho, but John Cooper was a great recruiter, but couldn't coach well. Tressel seems to be good at both.There is a balance between coaching and recruiting that results in wins on the field and maximizes a program's potential. So while its great to have all these prospects, I'd like to see it translate into success on the field. Although the team was relatively young this past year, the talent was there and we lost an NCAA tournament game to USF at home after being seeded. That's not the best way to earn respect at the national level. Given the recruiting classes and the tradition of the program, I expect more in upcoming seasons.

bush for herman!!!!! thats all i gotta say
Bush is one of the best goalies this program has ever seen. He's very solid. Don't knock him.
Who's knocking him? He's the best GK in UA history! BUT -- Last and I believe only goalie to ever win the Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy as national Player of the Year: Tony Meola.Now, is Caleb Porter on his way to the Big 'D'? :rolleyes:

Ken Lolla is an excellent coach, a great guy (ran into him at some coaching clinics) and a real ambassador for the sport. He should get some credit for laying the foundation of what UA soccer appears to be on the verge of. HOWEVER, it's not like the Zips were also-rans before he came aboard. Regardless of how he left his HC position, Steve Parker (NCAA D-1 Coach of the Year in 1986) obviously had the program at a pretty high level prior to Ken's arrival.
The Zips have been blessed with very good soccer coaches over the years. In the 60's & 70's Stu Parry laid the groundwork for the teams we have today. While soccer never has been "high profile", Coach Parry took what he had and over the years laid the groundwork for a very good soccer tradition by taking the team to the NCAA Tournament a couple of times if I remember correctly.To all of our great soccer coaches :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mike Waddell hired Caleb as his last duty here and at that time Mack was the AD, so call it what you want. I remember visiting Mike to wish him well and waiting because he was doing phone interviews with potential replacements for Ken. Mack signed off on the paperwork but Mike did the interviews.