MAC Facelift

ZachTheZip

The MAC revealed new conference logos today. it's an improvement over the christmas-themed logo with weird lettering of the past, but it seems like it would look better when used on uniforms of smaller sports (the shield reminds me of soccer and arena sports). It reminds me of a combination of the AFL, NHL, and various soccer leagues.KJBSHHHNMELUWNY.20080701015624.jpgDJXNXAUACSOISZJ.20080701015403.jpgEIZSHKYVQYIVNKL.20080701015503.jpgInteresting side-note: the company who designed these logos, The Joe Bosack Graphic Design Company, was the same one that designed all the logos for UA athletics.

The MAC revealed new conference logos today. it's an improvement over the christmas-themed logo with weird lettering of the past, but it seems like it would look better when used on uniforms of smaller sports (the shield reminds me of soccer and arena sports). It reminds me of a combination of the AFL, NHL, and various soccer leagues.KJBSHHHNMELUWNY.20080701015624.jpgDJXNXAUACSOISZJ.20080701015403.jpgEIZSHKYVQYIVNKL.20080701015503.jpgInteresting side-note: the company who designed these logos, The Joe Bosack Graphic Design Company, was the same one that designed all the logos for UA athletics.
Actually I like this look, now the problem is they needed to have this out a couple of months ago, so that it is in popular media (AKA NCAA Football 2009). Rule on in re-branding is...what used to be is no more. You have to get rid of any reference to the old logos that can.

Actually I like this look, now the problem is they needed to have this out a couple of months ago, so that it is in popular media (AKA NCAA Football 2009). Rule on in re-branding is...what used to be is no more. You have to get rid of any reference to the old logos that can.
It actually is in NCAA '09. I just thought the game developers were lazy and didn't want to bother putting in the official MAC logo so the made a generic one. Turns out, they were ahead of the curve on this one.1210737032-media.jpeg\Too bad none of the sports publications out there (Athlon, Lindseys, ect.) are using the new logo. The MAC was about one month too late to get it in the mags.

My first impression is that I like it. I particularly like the explicit reference to the founding year (1946) of the league. This could serve to differentiate the MAC from some of the "Johnny come latelys" of conferences, such as the Sun Belt and C-USA. This change was WAY overdue. That old logo was horrid. It almost appeared to be fictional in my eyes.

The MAC revealed new conference logos today. it's an improvement over the christmas-themed logo with weird lettering of the past, but it seems like it would look better when used on uniforms of smaller sports (the shield reminds me of soccer and arena sports). It reminds me of a combination of the AFL, NHL, and various soccer leagues.Interesting side-note: the company who designed these logos, The Joe Bosack Graphic Design Company, was the same one that designed all the logos for UA athletics.
It actually is in NCAA '09. I just thought the game developers were lazy and didn't want to bother putting in the official MAC logo so the made a generic one. Turns out, they were ahead of the curve on this one.Too bad none of the sports publications out there (Athlon, Lindseys, ect.) are using the new logo. The MAC was about one month too late to get it in the mags.
Didn't happen to see if the University of Akron managed to get the new stadium into the game did you?

Didn't happen to see if the University of Akron managed to get the new stadium into the game did you?
I didn't. I wouldn't expect it, though.
I'm not, just wishful thinking. An outside hope that someone in marketing would have had enough foresight to send imaging information to EA.

The shield (er whatever) style is euro/soccer-esque
zen picks up on everything that is wrong with the new logo. When you don't know what something is or it looks like something else, it does not say much about the league. I always make fun of the league for it's endless building and little results, and I think the lettering leaning forward is supposed to signify the league building to the future. It is just lame. We could call it the "Lamego".

200px-MidAmericanConference_100.pngOMG the old logo was horribly cheap looking.Just about anything would have been an upgrade, but the new logo is sorta slick.The shield (er whatever) style is euro/soccer-esqueKJBSHHHNMELUWNY.20080701015624.jpg
I agree with you on it being slick, and unlike GP1 I don't think it's lame.It's actually more modern looking, and the slanted MAC has been a staple of the logos for as long as I can remember. Hopefully the new look signifies a new attitude for the MAC executives.The other thing I noticed, we at least have original colors to the conference logo. Apparently everyone thinks they have a right to red, white, and blue.

As to the "interesting" side note mentioned in the first post on this topic, that the same company - Joe Bosack Graphic Design Company - did the Zips' rebranding a few years back, note this from the press release MAC website:"A four-member subcommittee, chaired by University of Akron Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades, led the process in developing the new logo with The Joe Bosack Graphic Design Company"

“The Mid-American Conference and its member institutions are extremely excited with the release of the new conference marks. The MAC is rich with wonderful tradition dating back to 1946,” said, Rhoades. “The compilation of new marks embodies this history of excellence garnered in competition, in the classroom and in service to communities throughout the league, as well as the superbly talented student-athletes representing each of our quality member institutions.”
how?i see stuff like this all the time whenever they come out with a new label and wonder how they come up with such good sounding bs. i mean how does that mark reference anything to community or academics or whatever?

I was thinking of making a complete mockery of this logo by creating a poll. The poll would use my original slogan of "Building Since 1946" or whatever year it says. You guys could vote for the completion of the slogan. Who would like to participate in the mockery?

“The Mid-American Conference and its member institutions are extremely excited with the release of the new conference marks. The MAC is rich with wonderful tradition dating back to 1946,” said, Rhoades. “The compilation of new marks embodies this history of excellence garnered in competition, in the classroom and in service to communities throughout the league, as well as the superbly talented student-athletes representing each of our quality member institutions.”
how?i see stuff like this all the time whenever they come out with a new label and wonder how they come up with such good sounding bs. i mean how does that mark reference anything to community or academics or whatever?
I agree. Wouldn't it be refreshing to hear Mack say "Jesus H...that stupid logo search was about the biggest waste of time ever. I'm overseeing a Division 1 athletics department at a 24,000 student university and Rick Chryst wants me to help select a freaking LOGO? COME ON! Don't we have bigger things to worry about in the MAC? How good will that logo look on TV? Who knows...no one watches ESPNU. Nice TV contract, Rick. And don't even get me started with the hell my life's become trying to schedule football games in a 13 team conference. The new mark is a simple shield. It is a rip-off of a Euro soccer logo...but since the UA soccer program is one of the few MAC programs that competes on a high, national level, maybe it is appropriate? Anyone who reads into this logo re-hash any deeper than face value is REALLY grasping for straws. No outta my way, I gotta write a 3 million dollar check for a flea bag hotel and a parking lot. No further questions."

I like the new MAC logo in the UA colors. The JAR floor was refinished about 6 weeks ago. The key area was lightened and the new logo added. The floor is now two tone. Same wood just a lighter color in the lane. They also added the new men's 3 point line.

ZZZZiipps,Are those logos a "quick release" sticker or something that will be easy to remove?Just curious.
Sorry, its real paint on wood. But a C-USA logo could be painted on top of it easily!
I think this has been discussed about a hundred times or more on this board, but I think the general opinion is that the only worthwhile conference for UA to join would be the Big East. CUSA is more of a lateral move with much higher travel costs for away events.

ZZZZiipps,Are those logos a "quick release" sticker or something that will be easy to remove?Just curious.
Sorry, its real paint on wood. But a C-USA logo could be painted on top of it easily!
I think this has been discussed about a hundred times or more on this board, but I think the general opinion is that the only worthwhile conference for UA to join would be the Big East. CUSA is more of a lateral move with much higher travel costs for away events.
I think C-USA would be a good move if the ultimate goal is to be in the BE. I don't see the BE accepting a MAC school, but I DO see the BE accepting a C-USA school.AD's get paid the big bucks to see 5-10 years into the future. Will the BE implode? Split? Will Memphis leave C-USA soon? That all would play into the Zips decision to leave the MAC.

AD's get paid the big bucks to see 5-10 years into the future. Will the BE implode? Split? Will Memphis leave C-USA soon? That all would play into the Zips decision to leave the MAC.
Good questions. First a comment. The only thing MAC ADs see five years into the future is their next job.Wlll the BE implode? Hell no! The league can sustain itself on being one of the best, if not the best, basketball conference in the country.BE Split? Into what? The trend in college athletics is to have mega conferences. They are as big as they need to be and the competition is pretty good. There is strength in numbers and if they split they lose strength. The only possibility of leaving would be Pitt or WVU going to the Big Ten and I don't think either school is in a hurry to do that. They will never give up the BB only schools either. It helps make them the mega conference for BB. They are big enough for football.Memphis leaving C-DOA? Memphis is a basketball school. If they leave for the BE, they lose their automatic bid to the NCAA each year and their guaranteed 22 wins as they may not be hands down the best team in the conference.The Zips are going to no other conference and nor should they. The MAC is a I-AA football conference with a 1-A tag on it (Look to see how MAC schools did in bowls. How did our league chamion do agains an average Clemson?). App St would stand a better chance in football in C-USA or the BE than UofA or even most other schools in the MAC. As far as basketball, God bless you guys and your enthusiasm, but I think you guys are letting the fact that the Zips rack up lots of wins against horrible OOC teams, get to the finals of a bad conference and beating an unmotivated FSU team in a completely irrelevant tournament (OSU looked more relieved the tournament was over rather than happy they won) get to your heads. I lived in Connecticut for a year and saw a lot of BE basketball. I went to some ACC basketball games last year including the ACC Tournament. Akron would get killed in the BE if they had to play night after night at that level of competition. We can't even beat Winthrop for crying out loud. We would be the worst team in the league....hands down. Here is the real question, Why would the BE want us? Why would C-USA want us? Don't give me the media market crap either. As bad as Akron would be in those leagues, nobody would tune in to watch blow outs. Local TV would be better off showing reruns of Fat Albert.Here is my question. Why can't we just try to be the best team in the worst league? I believe being the best team in a lot of sports in the MAC is an achievable goal. If we could get to that point, we should all be happy.Getting back to the logo. I'm absolutely amazed the league has been around for around 60 years and is probably still in relatively the same shape it was in 60 years ago. Being this bad for this long should not be advertised.