A Msg from Zeke Marshall's MOM...

Greetings 2 all u ZIP FANS: :wave: This is a note from Zeke's mom. I've been sitting here reading all of the comments that you all have made concerning Zeke's recruiting. Let me first of all tell you this....WE L-O-V-E AKRON and my daughter L-O-V-E-S ZIPPY!!!! This whole recruiting process has been quite overwhelming for all of us and I've noticed that many of you are wondering if Akron has any chance of getting Zeke...the answer is YES! He really likes the atmosphere, the players and the coaching staff.Have any other questions....feel free to ask. Some I'll answer and some I won't (don't be disappointed). Would love to have an open dialogue about Akron and our feelings (and his) concerning the school.Have a GREAT EVENING ZIP FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope to hear from you soon.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for all of your LOVE, SUPPORT, RESPECT and ACCOLADES. We are working on his weight...I PROMISE!! I've FINALLY gotten him to eat more potatoes and he LOVES my lasagna...(I'm no slouch in the kitchen). Zeke has a really high metabolism and I'm working with a nutritionist (alright..so I didn't use spellcheck :D ) to help him pack on those HEALTHY calories. We don't want him to be sooooo big that it slows him down on the court. Both myself and my husband are encouraging Zeke to really begin to focus on making some sort of decision soon. You would be surprised to know that Zeke actually HATES all of this attention (although he is getting much, much better in dealing with it). We are getting ready for his AAU season...AND as a matter of fact we will be in Solon, OH at the Solon Cage Classic April 11-13 and at the King James JamFest April 25-27. He plays with the Pittsburgh Storm...so come on out you ZIP FANS and show some love to the big guy. We would love to meet you all.HEY ZIPPY....just know that Rhema was sooooo excited after dancing with you...she made us use the pics as our computer's background. WE LOVE U ZIP NATION!!!!!!!!:wave:

I'm glad to see Mrs. Marshall check in!My mom's side of the family is all from Western Pa...Butler area. As a student it was really nice to be only 2 hours from my Grandparents house for things like Easter, Thanksgiving...even meeting in Austintown for a Saturday lunch is pretty much mid-way. MAC games...except for WMU and Ball State...aren't too bad a road trip from Pittsburgh either. Logistically, UA is a great fit for a Pittsburgh-area college student. Far enough away...but still close to home.Zeke seems like a great kid. I'll be selfish and say I hope he chooses UA, but wherever he ends up...I'll probably be a Zeke fan. I do hope he doesn't end up in the ACC. I heard tonight that MAC basketball is better. :D

WE SAW THE UA vs FSU Game!!!!!!! Unfortunately, Zeke and my husband missed most of it because Zeke had AAU practice last night (he's getting ready for their first tournament the 28-30 in Chantilly, VA). HOWEVER, momma was on it from tip off until the clock hit 00:00.I almost had a heartattack a couple of times. I know this much...Zeke being that INSIDE presence would have certainly helped the Zips on the offensive boards..at least it would have given JWood a break. But none the less....Akron pulled it together and played like the MAC CHAMPS they truly are.I JUST LOVE IT........ Bring on UMASS!! I wish we could travel to see the game. Coach Boals told me that they will be playing this Saturday. I hope that they televise it again...I can't get ESPNU so I'm praying that it is on ESPNC again.

It is really, really wonderful to see so many WPA students coming to Akron. I think that is one thing that has Zeke looking so hard at Akron. Between having Sweich, McNees and next year Marvase Byrd all on campus..he will certainly have familiar faces around him and that can only make the transition from high school to college a little easier. We all LOVE the Akron campus. As a matter of fact, Zeke's first visit to the campus was with his AAU coach and teammate (I wasn't with him) and I remember when I went to pick him up--the smile that was on his face. Coach Boals told me that Zeke couldn't remember his name....so while they were touring the campus..he would constantly ask Zeke..."Zeke--what's my name?" Now its a personal joke between me, Coach Boals and Zeke... :lol: I will tell Zip Nation that Zeke and I had a very, very important and crucial conversation about this whole "recruiting" process last night and although I am not at liberty to reveal anymore...I believe that within the next several weeks Zeke will be making his college announcement. I asked him 1 very crucial questions:1) If he, Zeke, were not a highly recruited basketball player and just Zeke Marshall, future IT student....which college would he want to go to for the next 4-5 yrs?Did he answer that question?....MAYBE, maybe not----I am under a gag order and not allowed to say anything further.... :rolleyes:

Good Morning ZIP NATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have some good news---NO...HE HASN'T MADE HIS "OFFICIAL" DECISION "YET"....BUThe got his SAT scores back and HE DID WONDERFUL. :D Lets say that he has qualified to go to ANY college he wants too. I know that he was EXTREMELY nervous about his SAT scores and being able to be NCAA qualified. BUT FEAR NOT ROO NATION.....he has QUALIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Momma is sooooooooooooooo happy!!! Zeke will be playing in the Triple Threat AAU Tournament which is being held at the Hoop Magic Sports Academy. Here is a link to their website: http://www.hoopmagicsa.com/home.htm. Thank you for all of your support and love.Talk with you soon ZIP FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE & LOVE

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD AFTERNOON ZIP FANS!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave: Here is a Zeke update. He played in his first AAU Tournament in VA and the team went 2-1. They unfortunately were knocked out of the championship game..because the team they lost to DC Assault went undefeated. Everyone was still in their "high school team" frame of mind and although they won 2 games...they actually could have beat DC Assault...but they got intimidated. OK..OK...so you all don't want to hear my sideline commentary ...but are actually wondering how Zeke played. He played well. Don't have the stats right now....didn't get a chance to talk with the coach. I should, however, have them Tuesday. MDZip...I would LOVE to hear your opinion on how he did (especially because you saw the 2nd game). He was certainly a force to be reckoned with on the defensive end...and he made his presence known on those offensive boards. Still a lot of work ahead of us...but nothing but an UPSIDE.Well ladies and gentlemen...I just got off the road and I am t-i-r-e-d!!!!!!!!!!! I know you all are being very, very careful with what you say on here...and I want you ALL to know that I am soooo very, very greatful that you care enough to be certain not to cross the NCAA fine line on communication. PS...what a bunch of "tight wads" those guys are....geez. Talk about being "ANAL RETENTIVE". MOMMA OUT....PEACE ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you all are being very, very careful with what you say on here...and I want you ALL to know that I am soooo very, very greatful that you care enough to be certain not to cross the NCAA fine line on communication. PS...what a bunch of "tight wads" those guys are....geez. Talk about being "ANAL RETENTIVE".
it may seem that way, however those "stupid" rules are only in place because someone in the past has bent or broke them in order to gain some sort of advantage. :rolleyes: i know how important it is to our athletic department to do everything by the book. as an athlete myself, i know it's not worth making a stupid mistake getting both the recruit (your son) and the school in trouble for something so innocent as communication.

I remember seeing the look on a dejected Brian Roth's face as he sat there with friends in the Chuckery the day it was announced that the NCAA had penalized the U of A for rules violation(s) under Ruppert in the mid-80s. I appreciate that the U of A and the moderators here on ZN want to do everything by the book. I hate to see some teams win only to find out down the road that they cut corners or broke rules (knowingly?) to do it.Thanks for keeping us posted on how Zeke is doing.

Don't get me wrong....I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY agree with what the Moderator is doing.....it can be sooo frustrating however, when you have to suffer for the faults and screw ups of others! But be that as it may....I appreciate everything the ZN is doing and I know deep, deep, deep down inside that you all love my son, truly care about Zeke and ultimately are true UA supporters and fans..and at the end of the day...that is all that really matters.PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I had heard a lot about him, I got to see Zeke play down at the Hoop Magic tournament in Chantilly, VA this weekend. I was nothing but a fan interested in watching him play, but it was fun to watch him knowing that he had some interest in UA. Since he is only a junior if he continues to develop his game and especially continues to get stronger, he will be a force to be reckoned with. And as the saying goes, you can't teach height and he has plenty of that. He is already a pretty intimidating force in the paint, I only had the time to see one game, but he must have blocked a half dozen shots in it. He had several nice offensive rebounds and a few putbacks. His team didn't seem to work real hard getting the ball into him, though it seemed that he had established position plenty of times. His free throw mechanics look smooth, a nice easy high arc to it. I am afraid I was bad luck, though, as the only game I saw was the one they lost. They played a tough team and could have beaten them, but if he looked good against a good team, I wish I could have seen him play against one of the lesser teams. Good luck in your senior year Zeke.

As mentioned previously in this thread, Zeke and the rest of the Pittsburgh Storm will be playing in the Solon Cage Classic ( Boys / Open / Pool B ) a little less than two weeks from now. It looks like the Storm will play two games on Saturday, April 12th, at The Edge Sports Performance Academy (9550 Ravenna Road, Twinsburg, OH 44087) ...Saturday 4/12 @ 11:30AM on Edge court #2 Pittsburgh Storm vs. Kingdom EliteSaturday 4/12 @ 2:00PM on Edge court #1 Pittsburgh Storm vs. CWNY-Black

As mentioned previously in this thread, Zeke and the rest of the Pittsburgh Storm will be playing in the Solon Cage Classic ( Boys / Open / Pool B ) a little less than two weeks from now. It looks like the Storm will play two games on Saturday, April 12th, at The Edge Sports Performance Academy (9550 Ravenna Road, Twinsburg, OH 44087) ...Saturday 4/12 @ 11:30AM on Edge court #2 Pittsburgh Storm vs. Kingdom EliteSaturday 4/12 @ 2:00PM on Edge court #1 Pittsburgh Storm vs. CWNY-Black
DAMN! That's 2-miles from my house...but I'll be out of town! :mad_flame: Maybe Dr.Z ride his skateboard to the game? If I recall correctly, he's also from that neck of the woods?

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings Zip Nation:Just want the family to know that ZEKE IS RANKED #61 (4 STARS) in Scout's Top 100 for the Class of 2009.Check out the link fam:http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p...=88&yr=2009Holla back Zip Nation........... :rofl: Zeke's Mom
Congrats! I hope this doesn't make him too big for Akron, but good luck regardless! Just make sure he doesn't go to :screwks:

Good Evening Zip Nation....I want you all to know that U GUYS ARE DA BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you soo much for coming out and supporting Zeke and the Pgh Storm. Yesterday was awesome for them...but we crashed and burned today. Nevertheless....you all coming out and supporting him was absolutely WONDERFUL!! Now, for those unfortunate souls who missed it this weekend...they won both games on Sat. 44-89 first game and 34-89 second game. HOWEVER...this afternoon they lost by 14 (I don't remember THAT score UUugghh). You Zip fans are something special and I want you all to know that Zeke was and is always so touched by your love, compassion, ferver and support for him and for U of A!! OK..ladies and gentlemen....mom is sleepy and I got a crazy week. Next up...Pitt Jamfest this Fri - Sun. I'll keep you all updated on what happens. PEACE OUT!!!!Zeke's Mom

=>Dear GameChngr54 (AKA "Zeke Marshall's mom"),As I have read through this and other threads, you have indicated that your son Zeke is strongly considering the Akron Zip basketball program. As I think all the fine Zip fans here would agree, it is important to make an “informed” decision about the schools a student-athlete is considering. As such, as an unbiased and neutral observer* , below are some facts about Akron that you may or may not know:UA’s President is actually a CIA operative who requires all incoming freshman to be barcoded and microchipped.James A. Rhodes Arena (AKA the “JAR”) was built on the site of an ancient Indian burial ground and is now inhabited by poltergeist.Also, the oldest building on Akron’s campus was designed and built by a Gozer worshipper.The old football stadium, the Rubber Bowl, is not actually made out of rubber. An egregious case of false advertising.At no point in recent history has Canada or Pennsylvania attempted to annex Akron. That is telling.Coach Dambrot believes “Coach Keith Dambrot” is an anagram for “I AM LORD VOLDEMORT.” Sure the letters do not match up…maybe he has a learning disability.Akron is Browns country. No place for someone from western Pennsylvania. Akron greatest contribution to scientific research was the chemical formula for crack cocaine. Hence the reason UA is known nationwide as crAkron.Akron’s chemistry department is actually a working meth lab. Proceeds from meth sales fund the athletic department.Akron’s male to female ratio of 99 to 1 makes it very difficult for male students to get dates.Akron spelled backward is Norka. wink wink.Coach Dambrot has warrants in Fargo. That is why Akron never plays a road game in North Dakota.A common misconception is that Zippy is a student inside a ‘Roo costume. In actuality, Zippy is a live giant rodent who is fed newborn babies by the athletic booster club (which is a front for an ancient pagan rat worshipping cult).On a road trip to Ohio University back when Dambrot coached Central Michigan, he shot and killed one of his players for snoring too loud. It was well covered up of course. If you play the Akron fight song backwards you can faintly hear a distorted “666” and “Paul is dead.”* As I said above, I am an unbiased observer. In no way am I bringing about the above facts out of concern that your son will face my alma mater (Miami) 2 or 3 times a year for 4 seasons. That has never even entered into my mind. I just wanted to present to you the facts about Akron. Like Fox News, I am fair and balanced. ;)

Dear GameChngr54:I have to take issue with at LEAST one of the items mollautt listed above ..."On a road trip to Ohio University back when Dambrot coached Central Michigan, he shot and killed one of his players for snoring too loud. It was well covered up of course."Even a Can't State grad could tell you that it SHOULD have read "... , he shot and killed one of his players for snoring too loudLY. ..."US News and World Report consistently ranks Akron's "English 101" course much higher than Miami's. ;) It's a hockey school ... what do you expect?!I can neither confirm nor deny anything else mollautt stated. I'm sure the crack staff (no relation to any of mollautt's references) at ZipsNation are hard at work on this.

Good Morning Zip Nation....Well, the pizza guy didn't get to our hotel room until 11:45PM!! :blink: Although Zeke didn't care...food is food no matter what time it came..he was sooo happy and dug right in to the bread sticks...HOWEVER..momma is tryin to lose some weight and what does it look like for me to be sitting in bed, writing this blog while eating a slice of delicious Domino's pizza??? What did u say: "An U of A student.... :lol: You guys are a riot...so anyway...of course my daughter woke both me and her daddy up at 7am to GO SWIMMING...are u kidding me SMILE:) My husband decided to go and check out the articles about last nights game and low and behold Rivals had a very interesting one about the Storm vs Florida game last night. Of course there focus was on the kid who just verballed to Louisville...but this is what he said about Zeke:"Buckles found an area to attack against the Storm as he constantly challenged Zeke Marshall, a 7-footer. Buckles attacked the big man from the perimeter and had relative success.Marshall isn't one to look past either. He was beaten by Buckles several times with the dribble drive but he also showed some flush on the offensive end. He scored on three straight possessions by playing up to his size and length. Marshall scored with some one-handers in the paint and was good on the pick and pop on the baseline. He blocked two shots in that span and ran the floor for the reward.Marshall's game is a flush here and a flush there. The finish product is not in the near future and that is part of the intrigue with the big man. He lacks great strength but there is something about his game that will have the high-majors following him around this weekend."Ok..Zip Nation..it is now 7:42 am and my daughter is about to put me on the firing line if I don't get my behind dressed for the pool...so I'm O-U-T!! Hey...NOW YA COME BACK....YA HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave: