Jump to content

akzipper

Members
  • Posts

    2,557
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    18

Everything posted by akzipper

  1. I live in Erie and follow Gannon somewhat. Fee definitely turned the program around, but Bazzoli took them to another level and a national championship appearance. He's a very smart dude and will be a D1 coach someday. Just not sure if that time is now.
  2. Couldn't agree more. This is like JoMo ditching Akron football to coach The Citadel. I hate Duquesne and now I hate Charleston. I school I didn't even know existed a few weeks ago.
  3. Losing our best two coaches ever to Duquesne and Charleston is about as painful as it gets. Nobody can convince me that the CCA and Charleston is a step up. If it is, we have big problems.
  4. It's not sustainable to rely on one guy to fund our entire program and get nothing in return but a 3peat hat or courtside seats. Financially minded people, specifically rich folks, all want to see money come back to themselves at some point.
  5. I thought the same thing about Duquesne. Lateral move at best. But the A10 is significantly better than the CAA or whatever.
  6. Wait are we really going to lose our coach to the College of Charleston? Is this how it ends? That would be a new low.
  7. NE Ohio sports fans have been through so much heartbreak, we just can't enjoy anything without expecting the worst outcome. It's magnified online, especially on forums and Reddit.
  8. It's pretty obvious that Zips basketball has a decent fanbase and they show up when it really counts. Which speaks more to the MAC and how spoiled we have been, than anything else really. We all know that the MAC Tournament and Kent games mean something. So people show up. Everything else? Not really. The Zips could have a cupcake OOC schedule like Miami, finish below .500 and still end up making the NCAA tournament if they win in Cleveland. I try to attend games when I'm in town, but I live 2 hours away and it's not feasible. Even tuning in to ESPN+ to watch is very sporadic because most of the time I'm not invested in the outcome. Fun to watch? Sure. But in the end beating a MAC school by 20+ doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things.
  9. I'm just going to assume Groce is gone until we are told otherwise. I think he's a perfect fit for Akron and the MAC, but wouldn't blame him if he moved on to a program with more money, better facilities and more prestigious conference. He may have hit his ceiling with the Zips. Not his fault, ours. I'm assuming the fact that nobody wants Travis Steele proves that he's a fraud?
  10. Creighton head coach Greg McDermott announced he's retiring after season. I'm much more concerned about the Big East / A10 schools trying to poach Groce and not so much the big boys from the ACC and BigTen again.
  11. If Groce can win a tournament game for the Zips he deserves a statue and a new arena built in his honor. Unlike Cleveland sports, we actually appreciate accomplishments.
  12. Siena gave Duke a run McNees and Kennesaw St kept it close Santa Clara should have beaten Kentucky Hofstra is up 10 over Bama Miami will probably beat Tennessee High Point beat Wisconsin I don't mind losing. I just want a chance. We end up getting blown out almost every single time. Aside from the UCLA game, we never really even have a shot.
  13. Cut the lead down to 5 and then fell apart.
  14. Way to come out with some fire after halftime Zips.
  15. Make the easy ones, capitalize on TT's mistakes and we'd have the lead.
  16. Was hoping we'd at least keep it close, but this is spiraling into a blowout before halftime.
  17. Tech missed two free throws and Akron followed it up by gifting them a 7-0 run
  18. Can't get points off turnovers or hit the easy layups. Needed to take advantage early and now it feels like we're just trying to keep it close.
  19. This is brutal. Has any team ever won a tourney game missing every shot?
  20. I was pretty angry when Dambrot left. Somehow we landed a better coach. It will be hard to replace Groce. But I like to think we are strong enough as a program that the culture can continue going forward.
  21. Welp High Point winning as a 12 seed actually makes me feel less confident in the Zips chances tomorrow. We can't have two 12 seed updates can we?
  22. "We proved the doubters wrong" by beating the 11th best team in the ACC.
  23. I was devastated that night when the news broke. There have only been two Zips teams I felt could legitimately make a run in the tournament. The 2012-2013 and 2019-2020. Abreu weed shipment and Covid ended those dreams.
  24. Still makes me sad that Nate transferred. This team would have been insane had he stayed and unfortunately he missed out on a tournament appearance.
×
×
  • Create New...